2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

50 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Just a reality check...building a playoff team is more than just collecting talent.  Find the right mix or you may end up on the outside looking in...again.

Agreed, with that said, we have to many PMD's and literally near 0 shutdown D. Plus goaltending is average to sub-par.

25 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Agreed, with that said, we have to many PMD's and literally near 0 shutdown D. Plus goaltending is average to sub-par.

I don't want shutdown D, I want a defender that can get the puck and move it out of the zone. The closest thing we have to a shutdown guy is McCabe and Borgen. I would note that Borgen has sneaky good skating and passes well. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Looking at Buffalo's D situation on capfriendly.

Is Borgen ready yet? What about Fitzgerald.

Also, does Pilut get a shot at a full time LD position?

Looks like the Sabres have some options to move a couple of D and at least 1 forward and still have some depth, no?

At this point, we are blocking ourselves from finding out what some of these guys can provide by our backlog of RHD. Borgen will be 24 before the season starts - if he's going to be ready, we can and should find out right now. 

I'm not worried about moving a RHD, myself. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I don’t get this distinction between “puck moving D“ and “shutdown D”.

A guy can be both.  The best shutdown D are definitely great puck movers.  Every D should be a puck moving D.  If a D is a poor puck mover, it’s a serious limitation on his ability to play defense.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t get this distinction between “puck moving D“ and “shutdown D”.

A guy can be both.  The best shutdown D are definitely great puck movers.  Every D should be a puck moving D.  If a D is a poor puck mover, it’s a serious limitation on his ability to play defense.

Just ask Tyler Myers!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

Looking at the Flames roster - there is no one I really want over Sam and their goalie has pretty mediocre stats.

I hope Miller is the centre piece of the trade (obviously with significant add from us)

I love Sam Reinhart and defend him every chance I get but if you can swap him for Sean Monahan you do that every day of the week 

36 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I love Sam Reinhart and defend him every chance I get but if you can swap him for Sean Monahan you do that every day of the week 

I do not love Reinhart, although I like him well enough, but after watching the Flames in the playoffs I probably wouldn't trade him for Monahan.  I was really unimpressed with Monahan.  He had zero intensity to his game and it was way too easy for the opponent to clear the zone when his line was on.

I would trade Reino for Gaudreau though.

57 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I do not love Reinhart, although I like him well enough, but after watching the Flames in the playoffs I probably wouldn't trade him for Monahan.  I was really unimpressed with Monahan.  He had zero intensity to his game and it was way too easy for the opponent to clear the zone when his line was on.

I would trade Reino for Gaudreau though.

Interesting that I read an article that asked the question of how important Gaudreau is to Monahan's success.

On 10/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, sabresparaavida said:

Source said talks with Calgary are heating up again- not the same trade, but one that would bring in a top 6 forward, and a goalie.

I believe Buffalo and Calgary would make decent trade partners. Both can address needs for the other.

As for the top 6, I'm not sure on the Monahan situation, read a little via tweets but just not really up to speed on him and why they'd be willing to move him. As for Gaudreau, another LW'er? Has Skinner already agreed to waive his NTC or something? Lol. Obviously I jest, but I'm going to deduce a deal of a top 6 forward and a backup goalie is going to be Gaudreau or Monahan. Not sure on Lindholm, maybe one of the other members can speak to his game and potential.

Top 6 forward seems interesting, but once again, what really interests me is the net minder scenario. If it's a lateral move cap space wise,  Hutton for Rittich, I'll assume they intend to move Hutton somehow given I don't see Calgary taking him back in a deal and they just inked Markstrom and Domingue. I'm down with that. I would also surmise a deal like this puts Ullmark in full control of #1.

I assume we'd be looking at one of the RD's going out and something else?

Edited by Scottysabres

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

The goalie is worth more than the forward?

Kuemper is worth a ton more than Montour - look at his last couple years - top 10 goalie. My #1 trade target. Sabres get Kuemper, Sabres make the playoffs ++.

Arizona is up against the cap too

Reinhart, mittlestadt, Hutton, Miller, 2022 1st

for

kuemper, hanifan, schmaltz, kessel

would have to unload another contract to make cap work for us

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Kuemper is worth a ton more than Montour - look at his last couple years - top 10 goalie. My #1 trade target. Sabres get Kuemper, Sabres make the playoffs ++.

for

This is just a bit too much, dont ya think? Also, how did Hanifan get himself involved in this? lol

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

for

Don't be shy

6 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

for

For starters this would be absurd levels of overpayments, then I'm confused as to how Hanifin ended up in Arizona.

Secondarily the team is now worse overall. Kuemper is an upgrade for sure but Reinhart is still the best player involved seeing as Kessel is rather old at this point.

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

For starters this would be absurd levels of overpayments, then I'm confused as to how Hanifin ended up in Arizona.

Secondarily the team is now worse overall. Kuemper is an upgrade for sure but Reinhart is still the best player involved seeing as Kessel is rather old at this point.

Wookie, as you said previously, you’ve gotten better at your valuation but it’s still startling to see you criticize some bazaar trade scenario, even when you are 100% correct.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Wookie, as you said previously, you’ve gotten better at your valuation but it’s still startling to see you criticize some bazaar trade scenario, even when you are 100% correct.

Brings a tear to my eye seeing how far out little Wookiee has come 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4