2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

22 minutes ago, tom webster said:

$4.2 million is a lot to pay for a 2nd round draft choice. Even if they get another 4th for him at the deadline, that’s more then I would pay. Add to that you would be trying to win while having over 20% of your cap space tied up in Marc Staal, Kyle Okposo and Risto or, in another way, in a 4th line winger, a 2nd pairing and a 3rd pairing defenseman.

Yeah, that's what I meant by the "in a vacuum" and "better plans" comments: there should be better ways for us to go.

From the perspective of a team with tons of cap space that won't be in the playoffs, it's a good move. That would include us, it we do nothing else to improve this off-season. Hopefully, Adams has other plans.

Edited by dudacek

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Apparent the French 'Insider' Renaud Lavoie is saying the Flames are taking bids on Gaudreau and hope to trade him before free agency starts.

OK, so Gaudreau is a LW with 2 years left on his contract @ $6.75MM per year, both cash and cap hit, and then he's a UFA.  He's reportedly already indicated to Calgary that he intends to leave in FA -- so any acquiring team has to assume there is a high likelihood that he decides to test FA when his deal is up.

He's a dynamic offensive player who is a top-liner on almost any NHL team. 

I think in most non-2020 years, he's bringing back at least a #1 pick plus a very goo d young player -- i.e. a F or D who's already demonstrated top-6 F or top-4 D ability, as well as upside to potentially move higher in the lineup.

What's his market value in this nutty year?

Could the Sabres get him without giving up Cozens, #8 or Reino?

It seems impossible that Calgary would take, say, Montour, Mittlestadt and the Sabres' 2021 #1 -- but will Calgary get an appreciably better offer than that elsewhere?

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It seems impossible that Calgary would take, say, Montour, Mittlestadt and the Sabres' 2021 #1 -- but will Calgary get an appreciably better offer than that elsewhere?

The rumour mill seems to be that Calagary wants to create cap space to make a free agent plunge, so I suspect that he will go for a similar package: an offensive forward, a defenceman and a high pick, with one of the players being proven and the other not. That seems to be the going rate.

Gostisbehere, Patrick and the Flyers 1st? Palmieri, Ty Smith and the Devils first? Some variation on that model would get it done, I would suspect.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

There is no way on Earth Gaudreau is worth all that. Take Patrick out and insert a winger and maaaybe.

Patrick is a huge injury risk, Gostisbehere is having trouble staying in the lineup and Philly's 1st is what, 20th?

I put up an example of what the ask might be from Philly. To each his own.

Edited by dudacek

15 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

There is no way on Earth Gaudreau is worth all that. Take Patrick out and insert a winger and maaaybe.

I wouldn't think Patrick is worth too much with all of his concussions.

He missed over half of his last junior season and only played 31 gams last season and 30 the season before. He'd be worth a LOT if he were healthy, but he isn't healthy.

On 9/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, Thorny said:

Rangers get a 5 spot jump to get Kaapo Kakko: Check.

Rangers 'win' lottery with mysterious ping pong ball the next season in odd format: Check.

League orchestrates a almost 6M cap relief for the Rangers that makes absolutely ZERO sense for the Red Wings or any other team? Checkmate.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I wouldn't think Patrick is worth too much with all of his concussions.

He missed over half of his last junior season and only played 31 gams last season and 30 the season before. He'd be worth a LOT if he were healthy, but he isn't healthy.

I think you got your numbers mixed up.  He does have some concussion health issues.  Having a bad one in juniors and also missing all of 2019-20 with post concussion/migraine issues.  Before that though he played 73 and 72 games in 2017-18 and 2018-19.  He scored 30 and 31 points those years.

Having 18 months off from competitive hockey could be just what he needed to heal.

Edited by Curt

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I think you got your numbers mixed up.  He does have some concussion health issues.  Having a bad one in juniors and also missing all of 2019-20 with post concussion/migraine issues.  Before that though he played 73 and 72 games in 2017-18 and 2018-19.  He scored 30 and 31 points those years.

Having 18 months off from competitive hockey could be just what he needed to heal.

You're right, I looked at the wrong column!

Still, I can't see him being worth much not having been able to play for so long. I do know that he has been back in Winnipeg for quite some time. Helluva player when healthy. 

To me, the Flyers signing Hayes says a lot.

Edited by Ducky

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

You're right, I looked at the wrong column!

Still, I can't see him being worth much not having been able to play for so long. I do know that he has been back in Winnipeg for quite some time. Helluva player when healthy. 

Yeah, it’s definitely an issue that would affect his value, but players are able to come back from such things.  Crosby for example went through a similar stretch in his career and came back good as ever.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Yeah, it’s definitely an issue that would affect his value, but players are able to come back from such things.  Crosby for example went through a similar stretch in his career and came back good as ever.

I might offer a 3rd.

32 minutes ago, Curt said:

But it turned out Crosby didn't have a concussion but a pinched nerve in his neck from what I remember. Once it was fixed, his concussion like symptoms stopped and he was g2g. 

• Like (+1) 1

Let me ask you all though: Let's say Pegula sets a budget and things will be rough for a couple of years. If so, this team probably can't truly compete next 2-3 years and Eichel and Dahlin will be wasted.

What IF the Sabres blew it up completely, and say, got the top pick this year for the Rangers for Lafrienere involving Eichel? And Dahlin would get back a TON. Imagine how Adams can reshape their roster top to bottom and the system and truly put this franchise where it needs to be while the budget issues go away after 2 years or so.

I cringe as I type this, but at this point, why not?

1 minute ago, bunomatic said:

The hockey news is now reporting that the Bruins are in communication with the Sabres. Bob ! Go to your room! Now buster !

I saw a rumor today with a guy close to the Bruins saying they're trading Krug/his rights because he's gonna be too expensive