2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

He has pissed off Ovi, but is that a good thing?  Go look at Ovi’s numbers vs Buffalo.

You day he has pwned Ovi?  I say he bites off more than he can chew.

His numbers against Buffalo don’t really look that different from his numbers against any other team.

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

His numbers against Buffalo don’t really look that different from his numbers against any other team.

So Risto's effect on Ovi would essentially be neutral then.  But highly entertaining.  So I say we keep him out against Ovi.

Per Chad DeDemoninis

Kevin Adams has expressed interest in Defenseman Matt Grzelcyk from Boston 

Matt Grzelcyk | LD | Age 26 | RFA (arbitration-eligible)

The Sabres are in need of some help on the left side of their defense and Grzelcyk would be perfect to fill that need. My understanding is he’s another player that Kevyn Adam has expressed interest in this offseason. Grzelcyk actually played with Jack Eichel at Boston University during the 2014-15 season.

The 26-year-old defender is an underrated player. He’s a solid second pair two-way defender. You can see his impacts this past season in Micah McCurdy’s chart below.

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per Chad DeDemoninis

The Sabres are in need of some help on the left side of their defense and Grzelcyk would be perfect to fill that need. My understanding is he’s another player that Kevyn Adam has expressed interest in this offseason. Grzelcyk actually played with Jack Eichel at Boston University during the 2014-15 season.

The 26-year-old defender is an underrated player. He’s a solid second pair two-way defender. You can see his impacts this past season in Micah McCurdy’s chart below.

I like Grzelcyk, who's done a good job behind the Bruins Big 4. He really is what some people think Pilut is.

Arbitration-eligible RFA who made $1.4 million last year.

I'm surprised the Bruins would move him, given the fact they are about to lose Krug. I'm also surprised that is the type of defender the Sabres are targetting, but he apparently killed penalties in college and subbed in there with the Bruins from time to time.

I don't know much about Grzelcyk, but I know that when I am watching the Bruins play a game his name is said quite often, most notably as a positive of being involved in a play that's happening.  So i guess I would be in favor of getting him.

But that's all i really know.

• Like (+1) 2

Grzelcyk is a solid player and would round out our LD nicely.  I just don't see why Boston would trade him though unless they're hell-bent on re-signing Krug and would have no space after that.

Assuming Chad has good intel, it's interesting to me that they've inqured about a D-man with arb rights given all the hubbub around not qualifying Montour a while back for fear of arbitration.

Edited by Shootica

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Per Chad DeDemoninis

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I like Grzelcyk, who's done a good job behind the Bruins Big 4. He really is what some people think Pilut is.

Arbitration-eligible RFA who made $1.4 million last year.

I'm surprised the Bruins would move him, given the fact they are about to lose Krug. I'm also surprised that is the type of defender the Sabres are targetting, but he apparently killed penalties in college and subbed in there with the Bruins from time to time.

I would be very happy to pick up Grelzzy.  He's an exceptional skater and good playmaker with good hockey IQ.  NB though that he's only 5'9", 175 lbs -- so it would seem unlikely that the Sabres would have both him and Bryson in their top 6.  In any case I think dudacek is right that the Bruins aren't going to let him go, since he's good and relatively cheap and they control his rights.

“Would move him“ is different than “hearing offers from teams”

Good GM’s hear offers all the time whether a player is “available” or not.

As others have mentioned he would be a nice add. But as far as him actually being available ... I’ll believe it when I see it. 

52 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I would be very happy to pick up Grelzzy.  He's an exceptional skater and good playmaker with good hockey IQ.  NB though that he's only 5'9", 175 lbs -- so it would seem unlikely that the Sabres would have both him and Bryson in their top 6.  In any case I think dudacek is right that the Bruins aren't going to let him go, since he's good and relatively cheap and they control his rights.

Speaking of Bryson, I feel like I've heard good things about his development this year but I haven't seen him play.  To anyone who has, how is he looking and when would you expect him to seriously compete for a roster spot?

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Per Chad DeDemoninis

Every time we heard rumor of someone Botterill was targeting, not only was the player often disappointing, it was so often THE WRONG SPOT being addressed. Most every KA rumor seems to be a roster fit seemingly underlined with accurate knowledge of what the line-up actually needs to succeed. 

I felt at odds with Botts philosophically from the beginning and align well with my (EARLY, admittedly) perception of KA's work.

I'm not saying this means anything - I'm just guaranteeing a Stanley Cup in the next 3 seasons. 

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Get out. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

What does it mean?

It's a term that slowly gained traction over time, inspired originally by the Eminem song "Stan", about a crazed fan. To "Stan" something means to be a die-hard. In the song, Stan quite literally dies, so the term has a bit of built in over-the-top-ness. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Here's some speculation:   I think TB is is more likely to trade Gourde than Killorn or Cirelli.

Pretty fast and skilled player who plays center and wing, is feisty and fairly productive, but on the small side and carries a hefty $5.1MM cap hit for 4 more seasons.  Pretty much the same cash number too.  He turns 29 in December.

He's one of a number of expensive TB vets who has a NTC, which he probably wouldn't waive to come here, so it's probably academic, but still:  he's a pretty good player who will likely be available at low cost in trade, and maybe TB would retain part of the cap hit.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Here's some speculation:   I think TB is is more likely to trade Gourde than Killorn or Cirelli.

Pretty fast and skilled player who plays center and wing, is feisty and fairly productive, but on the small side and carries a hefty $5.1MM cap hit for 4 more seasons.  Pretty much the same cash number too.  He turns 29 in December.

He's one of a number of expensive TB vets who has a NTC, which he probably wouldn't waive to come here, so it's probably academic, but still:  he's a pretty good player who will likely be available at low cost in trade, and maybe TB would retain part of the cap hit.

the reason they will probably trade Killorn is that he is the only one without a full NTC. He has a 16-team list.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Per Chad DeDemoninis

Good luck with that interest. Talk out of Boston is they're going to let Krug walk and Grzelyck is likely to be paired with McAvoy next year. Boston is also rumoured to be interested in Peitrangelo and if they signed him then trading Carlo for a forward.  

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm not sure Marc Staal is even good enough any more to be our 3LD.

But in a vacuum I would have done what Detroit did.

Just hope the Sabres have better plans for the $4.2 million salary and the $5.7 million cap space.

$4.2 million is a lot to pay for a 2nd round draft choice. Even if they get another 4th for him at the deadline, that’s more then I would pay. Add to that you would be trying to win while having over 20% of your cap space tied up in Marc Staal, Kyle Okposo and Risto or, in another way, in a 4th line winger, a 2nd pairing and a 3rd pairing defenseman.

• Like (+1) 1