2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

Wennberg and Elvis would be a pretty good haul - fix 3C with an age-appropriate defensive dude who can step up to 2C if injuries occur. Costs more than I would like, but that might be a good bargaining ship to reduce the cost of the goalie pick up.

What do Columbus need? 2nd this year + 2nd next year + Miller + b-grade prospect for Wenn/Elvis?

1 hour ago, Trettioåtta said:

Wennberg and Elvis would be a pretty good haul - fix 3C with an age-appropriate defensive dude who can step up to 2C if injuries occur. Costs more than I would like, but that might be a good bargaining ship to reduce the cost of the goalie pick up.

What do Columbus need? 2nd this year + 2nd next year + Miller + b-grade prospect for Wenn/Elvis?

Elvis, sure, no interest in Wennberg. Also I'd try to put Hutton in a deal for Elvis otherwise... we bury him in the minors. NO BUYOUTS

30 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Elvis, sure, no interest in Wennberg. Also I'd try to put Hutton in a deal for Elvis otherwise... we bury him in the minors. NO BUYOUTS

They wouldn't want Hutton in return, they have two young goalies that would compete for the backup job.

But I have no problem sending Hutton to Rochester, if there is an AHL season next year.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I was an advocate of the Carter buyout earlier this year, but with Covid and players looking at a 20% escrow in 2021 it makes no sense.  If he was bought out, the contract would not be subject to escrow so he receives 2/3's of his $2.75M salary.   Savings of roughly $907K for the Sabres ownership.  But his real salary will be closer to $2.2M with escrow.  So the difference is only $400k.  I've been in the camp of trading Hutts for MAF and seeing if we can get something in return. 

So if there is no AHL next year I wonder if the NHL allows for expanded rosters for injuries just like how is has been in bubble for playoffs?

If this is the case do they have additional cap space allotted for players on minor 2 way contracts.  This allows young players to still practice with big squad but only use cap space if injuries occur. 

Could see an influx of older minor league players go over seas to continue playing.

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Absolutely agree that in the past the Rasmi have been far less than the sum of their parts when paired together.

Would hope the top 2 pairings are as you propose although would be pleasantly surprised if the 3rd LHD could drop McCabe to the 3rd pairing.  Expect Dahlin to get the lion's share of ES & PP duty amongst the LHD & Ristolainen (or Montour, should he be the one left when the music stops) to get the bulk of the ES & PK duty amongst the RHD but with the 2 of them on the ice together seldom (excepting overlap of their primary shifts).

Expecting (hoping) the 2 (assuming Risto remains) get used the way Anaheim typically deployed Pronger & Niedermayer- almost always having 1 on the ice but rarely having them both until crunch time.  If each play 25 minutes / game (quite realistic based on prior usage and Dahlin's continued maturation), then then other 4 only have to split up to 70 minutes/ between them (& likely less as both PP units can run 4-1), so the other 2 in the top 4 can get ~20-22/ game & 3rd pairing gets ~12-15 / game if they aren't fully trusted and closer to everybody else getting ~17-18/ game if all 6 are trusted.

If Montour remains, would put it 50/50 he pairs w/ Dahlin, but would expect his usage closer to 23/game.

How would this work? If one is getting the lion's share, wouldn't whoever their partner is get the other side's?

Will Dahlin and Risto's partners rotate? I feel like, if Dahlin is top pair, whoever his RD parter is will probably lead the RHD in ES ice time. 

Edited by Thorny

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Would agree that ideally neither would play a full 25 on average, but if Ristolainen is back we know he will get that ice time & fully expect Dahlin to get that as well.  Krueger leans on the guys he trusts.

This is not something that is acceptable, regardless of the fact we might have no choice but to accept it as fans. It actively sabotages our roster and we won't win that way. If the plan is for Risto to get 25, we are wasting our time talking about all of this other stuff we do here. 

He's not a good enough hockey player to be on the ice that much, and win. It's just not something I believe to be possible. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

How would this work? If one is getting the lion's share, wouldn't whoever their partner is get the other side's?

Will Dahlin and Risto's partners alternate?

They'd primarily be paired w/ 1 guy, but would stay out for a good portion of the 3rd pairing D's shifts, so with the Rasmi each getting 23+ (& possibly 25), their primary partner would be out for ~18-20 minutes of that & the 3rd pairing guys for 3-7 minutes of their shifts.  

Basically, no different than when a pairing manages to get 1 guy off in the 2nd but the 2nd guy can't because the puck didn't get deep enough, except this partial change would be intentional.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Curt said:

I don’t know about that really.  Risto was at almost 23 mins, and that was his lowest in a long time.  Krueger seems to trust him less than previous coaches.  I don’t think Krueger has shown that he trusts Dahlin very much at all honestly.

Aaaaand exhale. I had forgotten it had gone down a bit. Absolutely can not be at 25 again. 23 now..let's keep bumping it down. 

Dahlin started to get more usage in tight spots towards the end of the season. I can't say I'm not totally unworried about Krueger trying to reign him in, but because he's a young player and because I *think* he started to lean on Dahlin a little more towards the end, I'm willing to think positively on that one for now.

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

As you noted Risto's strengths and weaknesses are evident. There has been talk for the past couple of years that his minutes would be curtailed and he would be going against the second rather than top lines. That has not happened to the extent that it needs to. With the development of Dahlin and Joki there is more reason to believe that his role will be lowered a tad and his minutes limited. That should benefit him. 

Where I disagree with you is that I believe that it is Krueger more so than the owner who is enamored with his rugged (although not always thoughtful) style of play. Last year was Krueger's first year coaching this team. So there is still a feeling out and learning process going on between the players and the coaching staff. Hopefully, with the better understanding what the players are capable of and what the coach wants the puzzle pieces will fit together better.  

I know a former Member of The Sabres Front Office I asked if he could see Risto traded and the response was “Terry loves His Big Finnish Defenseman, I doubt he ever gets moved”  This individual hasn’t worked for the team for a few years, but given the fact His Name is usually is on the Trade Bait Board and he hasn’t been moved I think this still is true.

As you mentioned Ralph Stans Risto as well 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I know a former Member of The Sabres Front Office I asked if he could see Risto traded and the response was “Terry loves His Big Finnish Defenseman, I doubt he ever gets moved”  This individual hasn’t worked for the team for a few years, but given the fact His Name is usually is on the Trade Bait Board and he hasn’t been moved I think this still is true.

He "Stans" Risto?  Huh?

In these troubled times, is that even possible to do while wearing a mask?

44 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

What are we thinking for his next contract? 

I'm not kidding. 

The one thing I'll say for Risto - his ability to be physical and get under the skin of certain opponents never seems to counter-act enough of his defensive woes for me to be satisfied consistently with his play during the regular season, but I've always thought the value of that particular aspect would theoretically go up once he got into a playoff series where the player (s) he was annoying couldn't get away after one game, especially considering the NHL prescribes to a different set of rules come post-season, basically. 

We do have a long tradition of not giving players the environment they need to showcase their best assets to the best of their usefulness. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The one thing I'll say for Risto - his ability to be physical and get under the skin of certain opponents never seems to counter-act enough of his defensive woes for me to be satisfied consistently with his play during the regular season, but I've always thought the value of that particular aspect would theoretically go up once he got into a playoff series where the player (s) he was annoying couldn't get away after one game, especially considering the NHL prescribes to a different set of rules come post-season, basically. 

We do have a long tradition of not giving players the environment they need to showcase their best assets to the best of their usefulness. 

I disagree. I don't think the results would be good if he pissed off Ovi in a playoff series.

This doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing it.

18 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I disagree. I don't think the results would be good if he pissed off Ovi in a playoff series.

It depends on the player. Some bears you don't poke but there are players that respond poorly to having a physical target on their back. 

11 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Risto has pwned Ovi almost every time they have played. I would love to see him in a series against Ovi.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Risto has pwned Ovi almost every time they have played. I would love to see him in a series against Ovi.

He has pissed off Ovi, but is that a good thing?  Go look at Ovi’s numbers vs Buffalo.

You day he has pwned Ovi?  I say he bites off more than he can chew.

Edited by Curt