2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

4 hours ago, jsb said:

I'm going to fix this for you.....

Skinner-Jack-Sam

Saad-Staal-Tage

Olofsson-Kahun-Cozens

If they pick up Saad's contract, they're going to play Tage and Cozens to balance salary, they ease Cozens in at 3C with Kahun as temporary cover. Tage is ready for the NHL IMO and playing with 2 vets gives him some cover. That's still a major upgrade in our top 9 over last year. I don't think if they can get Saad they'll be able to afford a UFA at RW and you'll have speed to spare on that 3rd line. Filling that 4th line will be interesting with KO and whomever. And I agree with the GAS man, if they can sign Vesey cheap, he's the new LW on that 4th line with Girgs as the 4C if they lose Larsson.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

To be honest I have warmed to him somewhat. I'm just looking for a defensively strong winger for that line. 

TBH if Tage and Cozens are going to be on the RW, I would flip them and put Cozens on the 2nd Line. Although it’s only at the WHL Level, he has shown so far himself to be a 200 foot player and probably would be defensively better than Tage.  I would give him some games to prove it, similarly to what Chicago did with Dach. 

Also if Saad is waving His NTC, He probably is doing so with the understanding he plays First Line Minutes with Jack.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Credible source?

That particular account is somewhat unreliable, but there have been other sources who have said the same thing 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Also if Saad is waving His NTC, He probably is doing so with the understanding he plays First Line Minutes with Jack.

That particular account is somewhat unreliable, but there have been other sources who have said the same thing 

I'm presenting this question to the more schooled members of this board: Is Saad without question a second line forward? And is his hefty salary commensurate with his production capabilities. I'm not just talking about scoring but including his all around game when evaluating him. 

22 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

With Staal here for at least this upcoming season, I would definitely love to get Copp in to lessen the strain on Cozens that much more.  Copp, also has been used as a somewhat useful RW option as well.

Copper has played RW on the checking line but not on the top 2 lines. Wheeler and Laine pretty much have those spots locked up and Roslo is a RWer as well.

Besides, what makes you think Chevy would trade Copper this off-season?

19 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Copper has played RW on the checking line but not on the top 2 lines. Wheeler and Laine pretty much have those spots locked up and Roslo is a RWer as well.

Because message boarders get all in a frenzy mentioning the same 5 names over and over until it becomes fact in their heads that these players are available when it was only some fictitious fantasy land crap they created in the first place. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Ducky said:

You are the resident Jets fan around these parts, and you said you were willing to deal Copp for Casey. I obviously have no idea what Kevin Cheveldayoff, Born February 4th, 1970, would be open to, but I hold your opinion in high regard and since you said that deal seemed fair, I've run with it. Since I've been into Copp for a while. 

Also, going off the fact you said they'd be open to it. 

5 hours ago, inkman said:

Because message boarders get all in a frenzy mentioning the same 5 names over and over until it becomes fact in their heads that these players are available when it was only some fictitious fantasy land crap they created in the first place. 

This Fictitious Fantasy Land could not be brought to You All without the valuable fertilizing manure you see here in this post.

- - - 

And, you know, this is a message board, on which we are in a trade speculation thread. THE HUMANITY

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Hey @Ducky, is Roslovic for Montour a trade framework that could work on your end?

I haven't really put a lot of thought into that, and I'm not even that familiar with Roslovic as a player, but it seems to fit both team's needs.  Winnipeg has (correct me if I'm wrong) a glut of wingers and is lacking at RD, and Buffalo has too many RHD and needs a middle six RW.

Both RFAs, Montour has a higher QO.  Maybe this has been mentioned in here before but all the conversation that I've seen has revolved around Copp.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Shootica said:

Hey @Ducky, is Roslovic for Montour a trade framework that could work on your end?

I haven't really put a lot of thought into that, and I'm not even that familiar with Roslovic as a player, but it seems to fit both team's needs.  Winnipeg has (correct me if I'm wrong) a glut of wingers and is lacking at RD, and Buffalo has too many RHD and needs a middle six RW.

Both RFAs, Montour has a higher QO.  Maybe this has been mentioned in here before but all the conversation that I've seen has revolved around Copp.

Thoughts?

Jack Roslovic is turning 24 this season. His NHL career highs are 12 goals and 29 points.

Montour has averaged 30 points per 82 games as a defenceman.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Jack Roslovic is turning 24 this season. His NHL career highs are 12 goals and 29 points.

Montour has averaged 30 points per 82 games as a defenceman.

Woof, you're right.  I guess that's what I get for tossing things out there without actually looking into a player.  In my mind, he was better.

Now I'm curious why every other Jets CapFriendly team has him plugged into their second line...

35 minutes ago, Shootica said:

Woof, you're right.  I guess that's what I get for tossing things out there without actually looking into a player.  In my mind, he was better.

Now I'm curious why every other Jets CapFriendly team has him plugged into their second line...

He is a 23 year old(turns 24 at end of January) RW/C with offensive skill who seems to have improved yearly since entering the league.  He has been stuck in a bottom-6, sometimes 4th line role, but many think he is ready to take on a bigger role in the top 6.

Montour is 26 and coming off his worst season.  His play seems to have stagnated, if not regressed.  It could be just that he is a poor fit for Krueger and/or he played out of position.

Depending on each of their next contracts, I don’t think the value will necessarily be that different between the two.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Curt said:

He is a 23 year old(turns 24 at end of January) RW/C with offensive skill who seems to have improved yearly since entering the league.  He has been stuck in a bottom-6, sometimes 4th line role, but many think he is ready to take on a bigger role in the top 6.

Montour is 26 and coming off his worst season.  His play seems to have stagnated, if not regressed.  It could be just that he is a poor fit for Krueger and/or he played out of position.

Depending on each of their next contracts, I don’t think the value will necessarily be that different between the two.

With the Montour discussion you bring up a key issue of how to build a roster. The Sabres do have talent (acknowledged not enough). But the talent on the roster is not well distributed. And not only is it not well distributed there is a degree of incoherency to it that doesn't allow for it to be fully maximized. You astutely point this out in the Montour trade discussion. If Krueger is philosophically wedded to a system and is working with players that don't align with his conception of how to play then the pieces have to be moved. 

When discussing a trade sometimes the more important issue isn't who is the better player but rather who is the better fit for this team. It is not inconceivable that you can deal the better player for the lesser player and end up upgrading your roster because it ends up being better balanced. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Montour is 26 and coming off his worst season.  His play seems to have stagnated, if not regressed.  It could be just that he is a poor fit for Krueger and/or he played out of position.

Yeah, I followed him a bit during his development but lost track in the past year or so.  I was expecting to see a little more progression in the offensive game, given what I was seeing on CapFriendly yesterday.

Reading a little more, it sounds like he got some opportunity in the top 6 last season and disappointed in that role.  But that's from skimming through some Jets season in review blog posts.  I'm sure Ducky has more insight there.

Still like the player and the fit, but I guess I was assuming that he was in that .5PPG pace.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:42 AM, jsb said:

It's time you start giving some love to Tage, IMO he's going to arrive this year.

image.thumb.png.1a19aba1ebaa877334d926639269118c.png

That's what people said last year and it didn't.  He still hasn't put it together and got injured - again.  He'll be traded in a year's time for a minimal return.  He has the skill and the size, just not the brain on the ice.

Montour is the D who should be staying and put back on the right side.  Move Miller, move Risto, but IMHO the top 2 RHD on our roster are Montour and Jokiharju.  Miller and RIsto and both inadequate in the D zone.  Montour is 75% of Risto's offense but better defensively.  With Dahlin here do we really need Risto any longer?

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Montour is the D who should be staying and put back on the right side.  Move Miller, move Risto, but IMHO the top 2 RHD on our roster are Montour and Jokiharju.  Miller and RIsto and both inadequate in the D zone.  Montour is 75% of Risto's offense but better defensively.  With Dahlin here do we really need Risto any longer?

I think we need the snarl.

Add a middle six forward and a defensively strong LD. Use either Montour or Miller (not both) along with futures and cap space to get them. Compete for the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I do not think we need the snarl.

Add two middle six forwards and a defensively strong LD. Use either Montour or Miller or Risto (or 2) along with futures and cap space to get them. Compete for the playoffs.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think we need the snarl.

Add a middle six forward and a defensively strong LD. Use either Montour or Miller (not both) along with futures and cap space to get them. Compete for the playoffs.

I like snarl as much as the next guy, but it would be nice if the snarling beast could actual play defense.  Risto hit a ton of people last year and he was definitely better last year, but his metric are still lousy.  I think we can replace the snarl much cheaper on the 3rd pairing with a couple of UFA.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I like snarl as much as the next guy, but it would be nice if the snarling beast could actual play defense.  Risto hit a ton of people last year and he was definitely better last year, but his metric are still lousy.  I think we can replace the snarl much cheaper on the 3rd pairing with a couple of UFA.

Maybe Borgen will be ready. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Maybe Borgen will be ready. 

3 minutes ago, Shootica said:

Even if he is, I think it would be much safer to go into the year with him as the first call-up rather than penciled into a roster spot.

I expect him in the mix to start the year as our 7th D and sink or swim based on how he plays.

I have hope, but less expectations of him being a regular than I do of Thompson or Mittelstadt or even Asplund.