2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't expect Toronto to do the Sabres any favors.  If Anderson comes here, it will be at a cost.

The cost will be based on supply and demand.

Take the number of teams looking for starting goalies, cross-reference that with the number of teams with $5 million in cap space, add in the fact that Andersen is a rental and divide by what seems to be a huge number of goalies on the market.

The price won't be that high.

The Leafs have roster goals too, and we shouldn't expect the Sabres to be doing them any favours either.

Edited by dudacek

52 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Lance Lysowski mentioned to keep an eye on Columbus and Their Two Goalies 

Elliotte Friedman was on WGR's the Instigators show and stated that the Sabres are actively involved in the market seeking a goalie. He pointed out that there are reasonably priced goaltenders flooding the market providing options to choose from. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Elliotte Friedman was on WGR's the Instigators show and stated that the Sabres are actively involved in the market seeking a goalie. He pointed out that there are reasonably priced goaltenders flooding the market providing options to choose from. 

Here's hoping he can swing Hutton for a cheaper, better alternative! 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Good call.

Friedman on WGR this morning said the Sabres are looking for a goalie — ideally in a similar trade like Staal, where we can improve the team and save money.

That fits. Leafs need RHD. Montour?

This would have been comical before I saw the Staal move

But who's the Leafs starter if they move Freddie?

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I would not be a-tall surprised to see the Sabres trade for Andersen.  With only 1 year left on his contract and plenty of goalies on the market, he won't cost much to acquire, his cash hit is very low, as is the commitment the Sabres would be buying into, and he's a legit NHL goalie who can be either 1A or 1B with Ullmark.  Most importantly, it sounds like KA understands the urgent need to upgrade in net -- yet another departure from his bozo predecessor.

I would not expect the Leafs to want Risto or Montour coming back, though, as I think the Leafs' main objective is to clear cap space.

The Sabres might be able to scoop him up for a mid-round pick or decent prospect.  Then we'd be looking at 2 major upgrades, at their 2 biggest positions of need, accomplished without parting with any significant assets.

There's certainly potential for his resume to improve if some of his picks pan out, but I'm starting to doubt that even that would in any way mitigate an even further tarnishing of Botterill's reputation here, if Adams continues to methodically address the holes Botterill just seemingly didn't have the will to do. 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Haha,  but seriously, why move him? Who do they have their eyes on that's better? I also have liked Freddie, I'd be all over that. 

From what I've read, it's mostly a cap move. Partly it's because they don't think they will be able to re-sign him next year, and partly because they need to shed salary, and they wonder how much return a $5 million goalie with a $1 million salary is worth.

But it also has to be a hockey move because they would have to be confident they can at least replace his level of play, and presumably at a lower salary.

I think they want RFA Matt Murray, who they think they can sign for that mythical 5/5 and have in net throughout the Mathews/Marner run.

In their mind, he's a better long-term option, at a cheaper cap hit.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Here's hoping he can swing Hutton for a cheaper, better alternative! 

The better alternative probably won't be cheaper. With the next season being very compressed the backup will be playing more games than normal. So if an upgrade is available there is more of a need to make a change. 

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

You've got to think sabres are on his mntc though.  Eh?

It's hard to say.  I could very easily see another Staal situation.  

Andersen is a veteran goalie with one year til free agency.  The Sabres aren't considered a contender this season, and we already have Hutton and Ullmark.  You can easily find 10 teams his year who either have a bigger need in net or have a pending UFA who could walk on them.  I can definitely see Andersen and his agent looking at us and thinking "why would they trade for me?"

Edited by Shootica

2 minutes ago, Shootica said:

It's hard to say.  I could very easily see another Staal situation.  

Andersen is a veteran goalie with one year til free agency.  The Sabres aren't considered a contender this season, and we already have Hutton and Ullmark.  You can easily find 10 teams his year who either have a bigger need in net or have a pending UFA who could walk on them.  I can definitely see Andersen and his agent looking at us and thinking "why would they trade for me?"

It would be a pegula move to sign a $5m player that you only need to pay $1M

Edited by steveoath
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, steveoath said:

It would be a pegula move to sign a $5m player that you only need to pay $1M

Agreed.  It would be a perfect 'save money and improve the team' move.  I'm a fan of the idea, cost permitting of course.

Truthfully, I don't understand why the Leafs would be trying to move Freddy but I've definitely heard rumors that they're in the goalie market.

Edited by Shootica
  • Like (+1) 2

Louie Eriksson $6 million cap hit for two years, but his salary is $1 million and $3 million

Sabres looking at cutting salary. Canucks at cutting cap.

Sabres looking for another goalie and for a RW with size and speed who can score. Demko and Virtanen on the market.

Canucks also looking to dump Brandon Sutter. Sabres looking for a Larsson replacement.

Canucks need RH defencemen. Sabres loaded in that position.

I'm doing the math. They have to be talking.

Edited by dudacek

5 minutes ago, Shootica said:

Agreed.  It would be a perfect 'save money and improve the team' move.  I'm a fan of the idea, cost permitting of course.

Truthfully, I don't understand why the Leafs would be trying to move Freddy but I've definitely heard rumors that they're in the goalie market.

Pretty sure they'd want to move on from him because he's good but IMHO has enough flaws that he isn't a SC winner unless the rest of his team is stacked.  He'd be very good in Buffalo because right now they need to make the playoffs, & he can help us get there.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Insert Gif of Terry opening up his chequebook...

And another of Newport Sports rubbing their hands over how much the Sabres will help them get from Toronto.

Bold is all too likely. 

Boy, would I like to add him, especially after getting Staal for no financial cost. Is it financially possible? 

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1933005

Welcome to the playoffs.