2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

I fear that trading Risto for a 20-goal, 40-point winger plugs a 15-minute a night hole while opening a More important 23-minute a night hole.

But maybe the “Risto sux, Miller and Jokiharju are so much better” crowd is right.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

If the players are the caliber of players that you judge them to be then I would be hesitant to deal Risto while open to deal Montour in this exchange. I'm open to trading Risto but I want to get better value for him. 

Yes I would prefer to unload Montour instead of Risto, but I'm sure Toronto would rather have Risto since he adds a physical presence they lack.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I fear that trading Risto for a 20-goal, 40-point winger plugs a 15-minute a night hole while opening a More important 23-minute a night hole.

But maybe the “Risto sux, Miller and Jokiharju are so much better” crowd is right.

I tend to agree, but then we've been discussing trading him + for a 2C with about 50pts. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

You think someone is going to trade a top line (30+ goal, 60+ point) forward for Risto?  I hope so, but I fear you may be a very long time waiting on that offer.

I'm not expecting a top line player just for Risto. However, if I throw in a first round pick then I want a first line player or no deal. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm in the distinct minority but I'm willing to throw Cozens immediately into the fray and have him be our 2C with the expectation that another forward can be added to the second line to make it more credible. 

• Like (+1) 1

The current Sabres line-up has zero toughness.  Risto is about the only physical type player that the Sabres have.  Would be a mistake to trade him unless the make-up of the team changes significantly as a result of offseason trades and free agent acquisitions.  I believe acquiring players with a physical presence should be a priority for the Sabres whether or not they trade Risto.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, freester said:

Yes I would prefer to unload Montour instead of Risto, but I'm sure Toronto would rather have Risto since he adds a physical presence they lack.

Are you sure? Dubas is all about analytics and I would be very surprised if the Leafs have any interest at all in Risto.

19 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Are you sure? Dubas is all about analytics and I would be very surprised if the Leafs have any interest at all in Risto.

If Dubas wants Montour I would do the deal. I think Ralph likes Risto more than Montour. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Wouldn’t do it, any other team sure; but the last thing I want is Risto in the division to become a threat.

I'm not as leery of this as many. Players move around now so much.

2 hours ago, freester said:

If Dubas wants Montour I would do the deal. I think Ralph likes Risto more than Montour. 

Krueger has frequently praised the play of Risto. And he has demonstrated his confidence in him by playing him maximum minutes even after stating that he would like to lower his minutes. At the end of tight games Risto most likely was on the ice. And it is very likely that with Adams as the GM Krueger will have a major say in assembling this roster. 

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'm fairly intrigued by the proposed deal because of the inclusion of Kerfoort, though, who I like. An ideal 3C, sure, but immediately the second best centre on our team upon acquisition. A reasonable placeholder 2C if he's the best that can be had for a price we are comfortable paying. 

Some may not be comfortable with the Risto price tag, but if it's both Kerfoort and Kapanen coming back, I'm sorely tempted.

In my personal estimation, Risto is easier replaced by committee on the right defensive side, with a slightly adjusted defensive strategy - a strategy made possible by the significantly improved forward group due to the additions of two quality forwards - than the task of filling our centre vacancy sans trade. 

There may be better offers out there - or not - and I'm reasonably open to such a swap, assuming Krueger is all-aboard. 

In this scenario we'd need to keep Larsson or attain a player of his caliber to maximize the results. We need to add to the centre group not add some and subtract a bit, too. I can talk myself into this C unit:

Eichel

Kerfoot

Cozens/Johansson

Larsson

Edited by Thorny
Especially if we get to keep our 1st

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm fairly intrigued by the proposed deal because of the inclusion of Kerfoort, though, who I like. An ideal 3C, sure, but immediately the second best centre on our team upon acquisition. A reasonable placeholder 2C if he's the best that can be had for a price we are comfortable paying. 

Some may not be comfortable with the Risto price tag, but if it's both Kerfoort and Kapanen coming back, I'm sorely tempted.

In my personal estimation, Risto is easier replaced by committee on the right defensive side, with a slightly adjusted defensive strategy - a strategy made possible by the significantly improved forward group due to the additions of two quality forwards - than the task of filling our centre vacancy sans trade. 

There may be better offers out there - or not - and I'm reasonably open to such a swap, assuming Krueger is all-aboard. 

In this scenario we'd need to keep Larsson or attain a player of his caliber to maximize the results. We need to add to the centre group not add some and subtract a bit, too. I can talk myself into this C unit:

Eichel

Kerfoot

Cozens/Johansson

Larsson

Have you given up on Mitts as a 3C?

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Have you given up on Mitts as a 3C?

I try to weigh the odds. Mittelstadt becoming an NHL C to me is still within the realm of possibility, but at this time I think l he's more likely to find success in this league (still a reasonable possibility) as a winger. As of now to my eye he seems to fit there better - unless he substantially improves his quickness and acceleration, I don't like him in a centre spot. Processing speed could be a factor there - but he's struggled to create space and he may need someone to do it for him. 

I think 3rd scoring line is a reasonable projection for him at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cozens' game projects to an ideal two-way C if he develops as we all hope, and then we have Eichel. If we do bring in that 2C this offseason, I'm not sure the likelihood of Mittelstadt finding a place here at C. 

I suppose if the addition is a Kerfoot level player, and Mittelstadt's trajectory goes on the upswing at C, then in a couple years Kerfoot/whoever could man a checking line and Casey an ozone favoured 3rd scoring line. But again, I think he ends up at LW.

Maybe not for this franchise. I'm not giving him away as there's still potential there, but he's the type of piece another team could potentially overvalue due to previous hype. 

I've been focusing on the value of certainty lately re: the Sabres and it comes into play again here if Mittelstadt can be a key component in unlocking real current NHL talent. 

Edited by Thorny

There’s something about Kerfoot that screams Conor Sheary to me. I don’t see upside there, at least not on Buffalo. It’s not that he can’t be a useful NHL player, but he has to be playing In an ideal role, with better players than he is and/or away from the other team’s good players. I don’t think he’s as good as Johansson and I suspect he might be a worse 2C.

But to stay on the topic of the proposed trade, I think I’m only open to a Risto trade if the best player in the deal is coming to Buffalo, and I don’t think that’s the case here.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:47 PM, Eleven said:

Anyone proposing a Risto trade might keep in mind that the reason these teams are theoretically trading to begin with is because of cap problems.

@dudacek accounted for this re: Tampa

Edited by Thorny

After watching and reading up on Kapanen, I want nothing to do with him. Guy had a clear break yesterday, felt the mild pressure of a defenders stick and turned out of the slot to hold up for a passing opportunity... we don't need that on our team. We need guys driving the net and going to the dirty areas. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 8/3/2020 at 10:19 AM, LGR4GM said:

After watching and reading up on Kapanen, I want nothing to do with him. Guy had a clear break yesterday, felt the mild pressure of a defenders stick and turned out of the slot to hold up for a passing opportunity... we don't need that on our team. We need guys driving the net and going to the dirty areas. 

Unless the Loafs are crazy enough to trade Marner, want nothing to do with helping them.  Their forwards outside the Big 3 are overrated.  In a vacuum wouldn't mind Kerfoot, but what it would take to get him will improve them more than he'll improve the Sabres.  There's 29 other potential trading partners, go with 1 of them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Unless the Loafs are crazy enough to trade Marner, want nothing to do with helping them.  Their forwards outside the Big 3 are overrated.  In a vacuum wouldn't mind Kerfoot, but what it would take to get him will improve them more than he'll improve the Sabres.  There's 29 other potential trading partners, go with 1 of them.

I paid extra attention to Kerfoot the last couple of games.  He looks like a decent enough bottom-6 center, but not like a viable 2C.  I wouldn't be interested in trading much for him or in giving him much of a contract.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I will say that the loafs collapse might aid us indirectly. If they flood the market with possible forward trades it might decrease trade value elsewhere. 

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I will say that the loafs collapse might aid us indirectly. If they flood the market with possible forward trades it might decrease trade value elsewhere. 

If the Jets or Minnesota win the Lafreniere lottery, those teams will have better ammunition to chase the same centres we are.