2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Unrestricted fee agency arrives at 7 years, or 27, so Olofsson can (and likely will) sign a two-year bridge.

Guys who signed bridges recently with similar production include:

• Anthony Mantha had seasons 36 and 48 points and signed for 3.3 over 2
  • Max Domi 58, 37 and 45 points, signed for 3.1 over 2
  • Oliver Bjorkstrand 40 points, signed for 2.5 over 3
  • Kasperi Kapanen 40, 3.2 over 3
  • Sam Reinhart 42, 47, 50, 3.6 over 2

Olofsson had 20 goals and 42 points.

In 54 games.  That’s a 60-65 point pace over a full season.

Still I think you may be right.  He would probably be 3-3.5 on a bridge, and 4+ on a long term deal.

36 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Is Boeser not as older Jeff Skinner? pretty much one -dimensional and that in no way helps our biggest problem...no 2nd line NHL quality center but trading Skinner will now be impossible with that huge contract exGMJBotto gave him so we are stuck there either way.

Nope Boeser is 23, he was in the 2015 Draft Class same as Jack.

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Nope Boeser is 23, he was in the 2015 Draft Class same as Jack.

sorry I meant to say a younger Skinner...Duh. anyways adding him would be great but at what cost and again it does not solve our big hole at center

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Guys who went for term in Olofsson’s situation (Silfverberg, Gourde, Arvidsson, Reilly Smith) signed for between 4.2 and 5.1

Arvidsson signed after a 61 pts 30 goal season and signed for 7 years at 4.25. 52 pts and 27 goals were at EV or SH.  

Gourde signed for 5.1 per year for 6 years after a 25g 64 pt year.  51 pts and 18 goals were at EV or SH.

While VO was on a similar PT pace to Gourde only 9g and 25 pts were at EV and he didn’t kill penalties.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Arvidsson signed after a 61 pts 30 goal season and signed for 7 years at 4.25. 52 pts and 27 goals were at EV or SH.  

Gourde signed for 5.1 per year for 6 years after a 25g 64 pt year.  51 pts and 18 goals were at EV or SH.

While VO was on a similar PT pace to Gourde only 9g and 25 pts were at EV and he didn’t kill penalties.

Those contracts were all signed with the expectation of a rising cap for the foreseeable future.  We now know that is not happening.

2 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

Is Boeser not a younger Jeff Skinner? pretty much one -dimensional and that in no way helps our biggest problem...no 2nd line NHL quality center but trading Skinner will now be impossible with that huge contract exGMJBotto gave him so we are stuck there either way.

Since no one else is answering, in terms of the role they play and what they might produce, yes.

Over the first three seasons of their careers, they both dealt with injuries and their goal production is very similar. Boeser put up more assists, Jeff had the most productive single season, largely because it was the only full season of the six.

They aren’t the same style. Jeff is more of a feistier, do-it-yourself player and a much better skater. Brock is bigger, calmer, and plays off his teammates better. His game looks more like Olofsson’s than Skinner’s.

Id take Boeser, but they are generally close, notwithstanding the terrible year Skinner had, or his contract.

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Since no one else is answering, in terms of the role they play and what they might produce, yes.

Over the first three seasons of their careers, they both dealt with injuries and their goal production is very similar. Boeser put up more assists, Jeff had the most productive single season, largely because it was the only full season of the six.

They aren’t the same style. Jeff is more of a feistier, do-it-yourself player and a much better skater. Brock is bigger, calmer, and plays off his teammates better. His game looks more like Olofsson’s than Skinner’s.

Id take Boeser, but they are generally close, notwithstanding the terrible year Skinner had, or his contract.

We were all just waiting for you to show up with the right answer ...

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/11/2020 at 12:09 PM, Mustache of God said:

Can teams even trade right now? Or can trades only be made by eliminated teams?

If the situation is the same as for previous playoff times, all teams can make trades, but traded players are ineligible for the playoffs for their new teams.  So, effectively, only eliminated teams can trade amongst themselves.  But who's goingbto be trading when there may be a much better offer available from a team that won't trade today. So, effectively, nobody trades anything now except maybe AHLers for others or prospects/picks.

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If the situation is the same as for previous playoff times, all teams can make trades, but traded players are ineligible for the playoffs for their new teams.  So, effectively, only eliminated teams can trade amongst themselves.  But who's goingbto be trading when there may be a much better offer available from a team that won't trade today. So, effectively, nobody trades anything now except maybe AHLers for others or prospects/picks.

We’ll get nothing until September aside from a few small front office signings, just like how we won’t get anything until June in a normal off-season.

Im interested in the fact that since Adams now has his cap figure, he can start talking contracts. I wonder if he will be a guy that tries to set the market. I suspect that he will not, between a desire not to be taken advantage of as a new GM, establishing relationships with agents, and the uncertainty over the post#pandemic landscape.

But he does have an unusual window here where RFAs can be done ahead of UFAs and trades for once, instead of the usual after.

Edited by dudacek

On 7/12/2020 at 5:10 PM, Curt said:

How is Buffalo going to afford to take on Erickson’s salary?  I don’t think there is any way to make that work.

Eichel-10

Skinner-9

Reinhart-6.5???

Okposo-6

Erickson-6

Boeser-5.8

Olofsson-4.5???

Kahun-3???

Dahlin-7???

Risto-5.4

Montour-4???

Jokiharju-3???

Total- 70.2 for 12 players, that’s tough.

Easy, you make a trade around Boeser for Reinhart by taking on Erickson while dumping off Montour to somebody else for pick(s) or prospect(s).  

That gets rid of two RFAs who will want raises (and while avoiding a Reinhart argument Montour has shown nothing to deserve one). meanwhile I don't think Olofsson has (yet) earned the money you're suggesting with just 1 year on Jack's line and Dahlin's bigger payday will be affordable later because we lose Okposo and Erickson  later. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Easy, you make a trade around Boeser for Reinhart by taking on Erickson while dumping off Montour to somebody else for pick(s) or prospect(s).  

That gets rid of two RFAs who will want raises (and while avoiding a Reinhart argument Montour has shown nothing to deserve one). meanwhile I don't think Olofsson has (yet) earned the money you're suggesting with just 1 year on Jack's line and Dahlin's bigger payday will be affordable later because we lose Okposo and Erickson  later. 

Why would we waste our cap space on Eriksson just to acquire Boeser for Reinhart of all players? Reinhart is in some ways a better player than Boeser and trading 1 for the other doesn't make our team any better. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Why would we waste our cap space on Eriksson just to acquire Boeser for Reinhart of all players? Reinhart is in some ways a better player than Boeser and trading 1 for the other doesn't make our team any better. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Because I think Boeser is better than Reinhart and a top line of Skinner-Eichel-Boeser would be an upgrade.

Eriksson isn't great and what he was is probably faded away but he MIGHT be a good fit with Johanson on the second line until Cozens is ready to take over. I'm still pushing for that Swedish Connection line one way or another :)

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Because I think Boeser is better than Reinhart and a top line of Skinner-Eichel-Boeser would be an upgrade.

Eriksson isn't great and what he was is probably faded away but he MIGHT be a good fit with Johanson on the second line until Cozens is ready to take over. I'm still pushing for that Swedish Connection line one way or another ?

Eriksson is less effective than Michael Frolik and has been for some time.

Even if you prefer Boeser to Reinhart (I'm not going to get into that except to say they both have elite hair), the difference is certainly not the $6 million anchor that is Eriksson. Spend that cash on real upgrades.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Wait, is this a thread about getting Brock ***** Boeser... a guy we should have drafted instead of trading for Lehner? 

Nope, not doing this. 

Giving up that first round pick for a goalie that his former team wanted to move cost us a future second line player that the Sabres are now desperately searching for. Would a first round pick been worthy of the Islander's Lehner caliber of play after he addressed his mental health issues? I still say no. In addition, the ROR deal turned out to be a boondoggle that set this franchise back. If you combine just these two deals and consider the repercussions that resulted from those ill-conceived transactions you can see why smart organizations find a way to win and foolish organizations find a way to lose. The moral of the story is being patient and judicious is always better than being impatient and injudicious. If a fair-valued deal isn't there then don't force the issue. Just wait until a more favorable/balanced deal can be made.  Common sense 101! 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Giving up that first round pick for a goalie that his former team wanted to move cost us a future second line player that the Sabres are now desperately searching for. Would a first round pick been worthy of the Islander's Lehner caliber of play after he addressed his mental health issues? I still say no. In addition, the ROR deal turned out to be a boondoggle that set this franchise back. If you combine just these two deals and consider the repercussions that resulted from those ill-conceived transactions you can see why smart organizations find a way to win and foolish organizations find a way to lose. The moral of the story is being patient and judicious is always better than being impatient and injudicious. If a fair-valued deal isn't there then don't force the issue. Just wait until a more favorable/balanced deal can be made.  Common sense 101! 

Also see Johnson, Ryan 2019

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Also see Johnson, Ryan 2019

I don't understand your response. Could you elaborate? This selection was a reasonable pick. That is not to say that the trade package made much sense. 

I have always felt that the ROR trade deal was influenced by the owner who wasn't willing to pay the bonus to the disgruntled player than it was by the GM. If the organization would have paid the bonus and then scanned the market the return for him would have been significantly greater. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

I don't understand your response. Could you elaborate? This selection was a reasonable pick. That is not to say that the trade package made much sense. 

I have always felt that the ROR trade deal was influenced by the owner who wasn't willing to pay the bonus to the disgruntled player than it was by the GM. If the organization would have paid the bonus and then scanned the market the return for him would have been significantly greater. 

No it wasn't. That is the point. Bad teams stay bad because of their bad decisions. This is another example. 

This is a foolish organization finding a way to fail. 

I think the days of taking on salary dumps is over for now. It’s not just the Sabres that are hurting, but likely every team that actually has salary cap room. They have this room for a reason. I don’t think they are going to fill it up with other teams mistakes. If it does happen, I can see it being a Brock Osweiller trade, where the team gets assets to take on the dump. 

52 minutes ago, JohnC said:

don't forget we gave away Kane as well for a bag of hockey pucks...and a side note I find it hard to believe that Pegulas worried about ROR's bonus when they throw money around like it's nothing (which it is to them)...hell Jack ***** every year that he hates losing so what's the difference from when ROR stated he hated losing and tanking on purpose? I totally agree losing quality in ROR and Kane for nothing, just like losing Briere and Peca years ago for nothing, sets the team back again and again. Just poor management year after year...

Oh and I forgot...  absolutely no way we take on that huge salary of Errickson and trading Sam for Boeser would be yet another stupid move

Edited by Sabre fan
  • Like (+1) 1