2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Staal hasn’t been playing centre? Are you sure? Pretty sure he’s been the pivot on their first line. Their other guys were Koivu, Ek, and Rask.

Mittelstadt is the logical starting point, depending on how each team regards his upside. Assets might need to be added (a prospect/pick from the Wild, a player from the Sabres) to mitigate the risk.

Casey is a Minnesota high school hockey hero, and fills Minnesota’s biggest need in their prospect chart.

I know there will be fans that are done with Casey and would jump on that in an instant and others that will say NFW would I trade a 21-year-old for a 34-year-old, which I take as a sign it might be worth talking about. Deals happen when both sides think they are improving their team. Not sure if I would do it.

Staal and Greenway for Mittelstadt, Johansson and Miller/Montour? Wild don’t need the D right now, but it would give them the depth to flip Dumba for a bigger fish. Just spitballing.

The idea came from the news that Staal lived with Adams when he was a youngster.

I'm okay with Greenway and Staal for Mittelstadt, Johansson and Miller.  I prefer to keep Montour for now. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

7 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

I'm okay with Greenway and Staal for Mittelstadt, Johansson and Miller.  I prefer to keep Montour for now. 

That trade seems bad.  One year of 36 year old Eric Staal and a young bottom 6 winger for Mittelstadt, one year of Johansson, and two years of Miller???

1 hour ago, Curt said:

That trade seems bad.  One year of 36 year old Eric Staal and a young bottom 6 winger for Mittelstadt, one year of Johansson, and two years of Miller???

I weigh Greenway as a better value and he's done useful things for Minnesota.   Whereas, I'd love to keep Mittelstadt and see him develop, he could easily entice a team looking for different options.

On 7/11/2020 at 4:42 AM, Zamboni said:

Of course you would 

surprise surprise 

You’d give up Reinhart for Zadorov ... because like um ... he can like throw the body and stuff. ?

No, but I'd give him up for Zadorov AND Kadri. 

On 7/11/2020 at 5:24 AM, sweetlou said:

Would a Reinhart for Boesser trade be a straight up trade or what team would have to add pieces?

The best way to get Boeser out of Vancouver would be for someone to take on Loui Erickson in the deal (2 years remaining and the Canucks desperate to unload his contract). I doubt we do any deals like that though given the whole cost cutting  thing they seem to be doing.

53 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:
23 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'll take Loui Erickson for 2 years to get Boeser. I just stopped twitching after I read a couple pages again that we didn't need Boeser

The best way to get Boeser out of Vancouver would be for someone to take on Loui Erickson in the deal (2 years remaining and the Canucks desperate to unload his contract). I doubt we do any deals like that though given the whole cost cutting  thing they seem to be doing.

How is Buffalo going to afford to take on Erickson’s salary?  I don’t think there is any way to make that work.

Eichel-10

Skinner-9

Reinhart-6.5???

Okposo-6

Erickson-6

Boeser-5.8

Olofsson-4.5???

Kahun-3???

Dahlin-7???

Risto-5.4

Montour-4???

Jokiharju-3???

Total- 70.2 for 12 players, that’s tough.

Edited by Curt

50 minutes ago, Curt said:

How is Buffalo going to afford to take on Erickson’s salary?  I don’t think there is any way to make that work.

Eichel-10

Skinner-9

Reinhart-6.5???

Okposo-6

Erickson-6

Boeser-5.8

Olofsson-4.5???

Kahun-3???

Dahlin-7???

Risto-5.4

Montour-4???

Jokiharju-3???

Total- 70.2 for 12 players, that’s tough.

Montour or Risto would need to be traded.  Mojo comes off the books after next season and you are over paying Olofsson.  He isn't getting 4.5 after one 20 goal season at 24 years old.  Also no way you make this deal before you acquire a real 2C.  Once that occurs, you aren't making this deal anyway because then you really wont have any cap.  Eriksson also has a NTC.

I am interested in Virtanen.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Virtanen and Boeser would be great for Buffalo.  But Boeser is a similar player to Olofsson just right shot compared to Oloffson on the left. I'm interested though in getting a little more grit and true power forwards.  The Sabres have too many "skilled" wingers and no one that can dig the puck out of the corners for the goal scorers.  

Wingers Buffalo should be interested in are:

Josh Anderson, (should be a good value since he had a down year),

Alex Tuch, (is buried on the third line in Vegas with their recent acquisitions of Stone and Pacioretty),

Bertuzzi or Mantha from Detroit also fill this role.

First order of business for Adams should be who is the 2c and 3c for next year.  (Im sure he wants to start Cozens on the wing, either 2nd or 3rd line)

So who is the best options for 2C and 3C?

8 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Virtanen and Boeser would be great for Buffalo.  But Boeser is a similar player to Olofsson just right shot compared to Oloffson on the left. I'm interested though in getting a little more grit and true power forwards.  The Sabres have too many "skilled" wingers and no one that can dig the puck out of the corners for the goal scorers.  

Wingers Buffalo should be interested in are:

Josh Anderson, (should be a good value since he had a down year),

Alex Tuch, (is buried on the third line in Vegas with their recent acquisitions of Stone and Pacioretty),

Bertuzzi or Mantha from Detroit also fill this role.

First order of business for Adams should be who is the 2c and 3c for next year.  (Im sure he wants to start Cozens on the wing, either 2nd or 3rd line)

So who is the best options for 2C and 3C?

Members of this board seem to think Reinhart fits the bolded opposing what was said. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

10 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Members of this board seem to think Reinhart fits the bolded opposing what was said. 

Reinhart by all means is not a mucker in grinder in the corners!! He is a skilled passer and has done well in the NHL in front of the net.  He has shown glimpses of having a good shot but is not the threat like Olofsson showed this year.  To me Reinhart is a good 2RW who can chip on 50-60 points no matter who he plays with.  When you put him him with an All-Star like Jack his point production goes up to 70-80 points.  I'm just afraid of an over payment like Skinner with Reinhart getting more than 7.5AAV. To me he is not worth that.  I didn't think Skinner should have gotten more than 7.5AAV as well.  One dimensional wingers, they do not penalty kill or play a physical game, should not be paid more than 7AAV.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Montour or Risto would need to be traded.  Mojo comes off the books after next season and you are over paying Olofsson.  He isn't getting 4.5 after one 20 goal season at 24 years old.  Also no way you make this deal before you acquire a real 2C.  Once that occurs, you aren't making this deal anyway because then you really wont have any cap.  Eriksson also has a NTC.

I am interested in Virtanen.

I agree with you that either Montour or Risto will be traded. As you indicate it will be for cap reasons and in order to balance out the roster to boost the second line, for either the 2C or one of the wing positions on that line. 

You can get gritty players on reasonable contracts from the market. What is difficult to acquire are players who can score goals. Olofsson is a sniper, as is Skinner, playing on a team that lacks goal scorers. One of the obvious problems for this impotent team is that there are not enough contributing lines beyond the potent Jack line. When you have a player such as Olofsson who may be the first or second best shooter on the team after Jack you pay the market price. Olofsson is not going to be cheap but he is going to get paid according to his value. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that either Montour or Risto will be traded. As you indicate it will be for cap reasons and in order to balance out the roster to boost the second line, for either the 2C or one of the wing positions on that line. 

You can get gritty players on reasonable contracts from the market. What is difficult to acquire are players who can score goals. Olofsson is a sniper, as is Skinner, playing on a team that lacks goal scorers. One of the obvious problems for this impotent team is that there are not enough contributing lines beyond the potent Jack line. When you have a player such as Olofsson who may be the first or second best shooter on the team after Jack you pay the market price. Olofsson is not going to be cheap but he is going to get paid according to his value. 

What is his value?  He is a mediocre 5 on 5 so far and much more of a weapon on the PP.  He is also an RFA in the time of COVID.  If he get 4 mill or more Adams should be fired before the ink dries unless it’s a 6 year deal.  My guess is he bets on himself and signs a 2 yr 7 mill deal to bridge Covid and pad his stats.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What is his value?  He is a mediocre 5 on 5 so far and much more of a weapon on the PP.  He is also an RFA in the time of COVID.  If he get 4 mill or more Adams should be fired before the ink dries unless it’s a 6 year deal.  My guess is he bets on himself and signs a 2 yr 7 mill deal to bridge Covid and pad his stats.

I think they should put VO on the second line.  Without Eichel we will see his true value which many will  be disappointed with.  He is likely to suffer the same fate as Skinner did this year.  We should not inflate his future contract by playing VO with Eichel, but rather put Skinner back on the top line since he is already grossly overpaid.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm not arguing to overpay him or anyone else. What you are not considering is that he was hurt last year, and when he finally returned to action he wasn't fully healthy. I don't know what his contract average will be but if it is a short term deal hovering around what you suggest ($3.5 to what I think he will get $3.75-4.00) then I would consider that a fair compensation. 

The Sabres had a number of structural deficiencies. One of the most damaging and obvious deficiencies is that this team didn't have enough scorers. And without question he is one of our best scorers. In the end Olofsson is going to be signed and get paid what his worth is. As you noted it probably will be more of a bridge deal than a long-term deal. 

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Can Olofsson sign a bridge deal?  Because of his age would he not be a UFA after one more year of playing?  I believe he needs to be on a longer contract.  CAP GURUS correct me if I'm wrong.

8 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Here’s a dumb question. When can teams start trading? I’m lost in the sauce with the NHL’s schedule.

The non participating teams are allowed to trade with each other now, as the rounds are completed those teams that are knocked out are allowed to make trades. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Can Olofsson sign a bridge deal?  Because of his age would he not be a UFA after one more year of playing?  I believe he needs to be on a longer contract.  CAP GURUS correct me if I'm wrong.

Unrestricted fee agency arrives at 7 years, or 27, so Olofsson can (and likely will) sign a two-year bridge.

Guys who signed bridges recently with similar production include:

• Anthony Mantha had seasons 36 and 48 points and signed for 3.3 over 2
  • Max Domi 58, 37 and 45 points, signed for 3.1 over 2
  • Oliver Bjorkstrand 40 points, signed for 2.5 over 3
  • Kasperi Kapanen 40, 3.2 over 3
  • Sam Reinhart 42, 47, 50, 3.6 over 2

Olofsson had 20 goals and 42 points.

Edited by dudacek

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The non participating teams are allowed to trade with each other now, as the rounds are completed those teams that are knocked out are allowed to make trades. 

I knew that we could count on you to give us the whole poop and nothing but the poop ... hey there @PASabreFan ... ?

14 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'll take Loui Erickson for 2 years to get Boeser. I just stopped twitching after I read a couple pages again that we didn't need Boeser

I wouldn't take Loui Eriksson, regardless of anything.  Not interested in that.  12 million of Okposo and Eriksson, would eliminate our ability to re-sign Dahlin and Jokiharju within a year's time.  I like Boeser, but we have two young defensemen that have a future on this team.  If they want to swap Eriksson for Okposo sure, but not otherwise. We don't need 21 million tied up into wasted signings and an uncertainty in Skinner (for the moment).  Ultimately, this is the spine of the roster with or without long term contracts.  I've eliminated pending unrestricted free agents and trade candidates.  I truly believe Ristolainen is gone this off season. 

Skinner/Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

Olofsson-Cozens-_________/Kahun

Kahun-________-_________

Girgensons-________-Thompson

Dahlin-_______

_______-Jokiharju

________-_______

Ullmark 

Lekkonen 

Edited by TheCerebral1

Is Boeser not as older Jeff Skinner? pretty much one -dimensional and that in no way helps our biggest problem...no 2nd line NHL quality center but trading Skinner will now be impossible with that huge contract exGMJBotto gave him so we are stuck there either way.