2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

I'm not trying to insult anybody. If you look at some of the contracts that have been dealt over the last couple of years, it isn't  impossible to move him.

Sorry if you think my iintentions were to insult, they weren't.

I won't speak for @inkman (love you Inky), but I would say that no one here was insulted by what you posted.  You're good.

We are all on edge these days.  We are all COVID out and locked in our own homes with our family is hardly ever fun, but when it goes on forever forget it.  On top of that our beloved Sabres couldn't even qualify for the damn playoffs when they added 8 more teams this year.  The Sabres have not played in what feels like years and when they do play they have stunk every time.

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m not sure I trade 8 for Boeser straight across. I’d trade Jokiharju and sweetener in a heartbeat.

He’s no Thomas Vanek. He’s better than Olofsson, but he is a similar player with a similar game and similar strengths and weaknesses.

He’d sure light things up with Jack though.

Your trade proposal is impermissible. I will not allow Jokharju or Cozens to be dealt in any deal. So please perish the thought. I would consider Risto or Montour and a #1 pick for Boeser but my untouchables are untouchable. In my scenario I would expect a draft pick back, maybe a second round.?

Edited by JohnC

9 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Our 4th line+defense are gonna take a hit to get under the cap with that. 

I’d be completely fine with losing Z and Larry. Asplund and Lazar can replace them. I’m also fine with losing a Risto/Montour/Miller if it means improving our top 2 forward lines. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’d be completely fine with losing Z and Larry. Asplund and Lazar can replace them. I’m also fine with losing a Risto/Montour/Miller if it means improving our top 2 forward lines. 

I would think we would need to shed 2 of the above to aquire both Boeser and Cirelli, and still fit under the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve decided the ideal realistic fix for our short-term 2C issue is Eric Staal.

Stanley Cup ring, one year left on a $3.2 million cap hit and he’s still putting up 50-60 points. He’s got a limited NTC, but he’s also got a great relationship with Adams. Wild need to start collecting assets for their aging core. And you shouldn’t have to break the bank to acquire him. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Stanley Cup ring, one year left on a $3.2 million cap hit and he’s still putting up 50-60 points. He’s got a limited NTC, but he’s also got a great relationship with Adams. Wild need to start collecting assets for their aging core. And you shouldn’t have to break the bank to acquire him. 

You just made me cry.  I would have traded 2 of our firsts 2 years ago for a guy like him.  We would have been in a far better position to make the playoffs these last 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I actually like this idea, if we were dealing with a normal year. 

If the current craziness going on has created an unusual situation where we may be able to obtain a young 2C and a young top 6 W, while resigning certain players for less than they would’ve gotten - it is something that should be heavily considered. 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The one problem I saw was that he supposedly nixxed a trade this past deadline to go to a contender because he wanted to stay in MIN. Now maybe Adams can convince to his former teammate to do him a solid and come to Buffalo and try and herd the cats the Sabres have become. The other problem I foresee is that he hasn't been a center in a couple years now.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

There was a tentative deal made for Stall to be traded to Boston for their playoff run. Staal nixed the deal. I doubt that he will accept coming to Buffalo let alone anywhere else. There will be reasonable options in the market for a short term 2C for next season. When the playoffs are concluded there will be a number of mid tier options to consider. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The one problem I saw was that he supposedly nixxed a trade this past deadline to go to a contender because he wanted to stay in MIN. Now maybe Adams can convince to his former teammate to do him a solid and come to Buffalo and try and herd the cats the Sabres have become. The other problem I foresee is that he hasn't been a center in a couple years now.

I didn't read your response when I posted after you. In short I agree with what you posted other than Adams being able to convince him to come to Buffalo. Sorry of the redundancy in my post. There will be other reasonable options to consider this offseason. 

So that Roster would probably look something like this

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

Skinner-Cirelli-Boeser

Johansson-Cozens-Kahun (or one of the other 2 at C)

Lazar-Asplund-xxx (vet min 4th liner)

Thompson

Dahlin-Joki

McCabe-Miller

Xxx-Borgen (vet min LD) 

Xxx (vet min D)

Ullmark

Hutton

We would definitely be much better at forwards, and significantly worse at D, with a wash to slight improvement at G (depending on how much of a factor Hutton's eyes were and age's decline).

We would have no defensive depth to speak of, an injury to Dahlin or Joki easily puts that D group near the worst in the league. I would say that roster isn't necessarily playoff bound, but it could be better than this year, and definitely would be more exciting.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

What would you offer for Eric Staal, that's the only question I have.  At this point, I would take Staal in a heartbeat.  Normally, I wouldn't want that ex Hurricane skunk on this roster, but I want the playoffs more now than ever before.

Edited by TheCerebral1

10 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

Skinner-Cirelli-Boeser

Thompson

Dahlin-Joki

McCabe-Miller

Xxx-Borgen (vet min LD) 

Xxx (vet min D)

Ullmark

Hutton

We would definitely be much better at forwards, and significantly worse at D, with a wash to slight improvement at G (depending on how much of a factor Hutton's eyes were and age's decline).

We would have no defensive depth to speak of, an injury to Dahlin or Joki easily puts that D group near the worst in the league. I would say that roster isn't necessarily playoff bound, but it could be better than this year, and definitely would be more exciting.

I just don't see Cirelli being moved by Tampa Bay, unless they get supremely desperate and cannot move someone else. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

I just don't see Cirelli being moved by Tampa Bay, unless they get supremely desperate and cannot move someone else. 

Almost for sure, yes. But I'm just exploring what that roster might look like. In that scenario, Risto, Montour, Mitts, and 8 were moved and we might get something small back prospect/picks wise

13 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

I mean, yeah, that’s pretty much the reason for hope though.  You just described the situation that they are in.

They are going to be desperate for cap space and they have very limited options of players that can be moved.  If they weren’t desperate, why would they move him?  But it’s very probable that they will be desperate, so maybe they will.

45 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

Skinner-Cirelli-Boeser

Thompson

Dahlin-Joki

McCabe-Miller

Xxx-Borgen (vet min LD) 

Xxx (vet min D)

Ullmark

Hutton

In this scenario, I think it’s more likely we would still see Risto and Montour in the lineup, with Joki and Borgen gone. I don’t see TBL or VAN taking on one of our D contracts when they are trying to shed payroll, instead they’d likely be targeting prospects. 

How we would get everyone under cap, idk, unless we trade Risto somewhere to try and help replenish some of the prospects we gave up to bring in Cirelli and Boeser. 

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Staal hasn’t been playing centre? Are you sure? Pretty sure he’s been the pivot on their first line. Their other guys were Koivu, Ek, and Rask.

1 hour ago, TheCerebral1 said:

What would you offer for Eric Staal, that's the only question I have.  At this point, I would take Staal in a heartbeat.  Normally, I wouldn't want that ex Hurricane skunk on this roster, but I want the playoffs more now than ever before.

Mittelstadt is the logical starting point, depending on how each team regards his upside. Assets might need to be added (a prospect/pick from the Wild, a player from the Sabres) to mitigate the risk.

Casey is a Minnesota high school hockey hero, and fills Minnesota’s biggest need in their prospect chart.

I know there will be fans that are done with Casey and would jump on that in an instant and others that will say NFW would I trade a 21-year-old for a 34-year-old, which I take as a sign it might be worth talking about. Deals happen when both sides think they are improving their team. Not sure if I would do it.

Staal and Greenway for Mittelstadt, Johansson and Miller/Montour? Wild don’t need the D right now, but it would give them the depth to flip Dumba for a bigger fish. Just spitballing.

The idea came from the news that Staal lived with Adams when he was a youngster.

Edited by dudacek

22 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

In this scenario, I think it’s more likely we would still see Risto and Montour in the lineup, with Joki and Borgen gone. I don’t see TBL or VAN taking on one of our D contracts when they are trying to shed payroll, instead they’d likely be targeting prospects. 

How we would get everyone under cap, idk, unless we trade Risto somewhere to try and help replenish some of the prospects we gave up to bring in Cirelli and Boeser. 

I was thinking Montour would go to Vancouver, and Risto would be sent elsewhere for assets that would then be used to help get Cirelli.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, inkman said:

Sure if a team is struggling to get to the cap floor or you incentivize the deal with picks or prospects.  

You do it however you have to.

The Leafs got rid of some bad contracts when Shanahan took over...

20 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I won't speak for @inkman (love you Inky), but I would say that no one here was insulted by what you posted.  You're good.

We are all on edge these days.  We are all COVID out and locked in our own homes with our family is hardly ever fun, but when it goes on forever forget it.  On top of that our beloved Sabres couldn't even qualify for the damn playoffs when they added 8 more teams this year.  The Sabres have not played in what feels like years and when they do play they have stunk every time.

I can't imagine. I was self isolated when it first started but am back at work now and Manitoba hasn't had a case reported since June. My better half was getting tired of me by the time she went back to work and the only break she got from me was when she went to work. I am still diligent and wear a mask in public but things are starting to return to normal. I can't say enough about how our province handled this situation. I don't really care for the premier of the province but he did a pretty good job dealing with it.

I also know what it is like backing a losing team as our Winnipeg Blue Bombers didn't win a cup in an 8/9 team league since 1990! They won in 2019 after they finally assembled a competent front office and GM/coaches and stuck with them and kept things relatively stable. It doesn't even look like the league will play this year. They are talking about Winnipeg as a hub city and I don't want that. Forget about this year and move on to the 2021 season. The Canadian government should help the teams (especially community owned teams) financially.

It is only my opinion but I think the Sabres organization hasn't been thinking long term for a while now and that has to change. Dealing Cozens is about as foolish as they come. Most articles I read have him in the top 5 of the best prospects not in the NHL and at least one had him ranked #1. Eichel-Cozens as a one two punch would be deadly. The team has to go through another 2 seasons of not doing very well while stockpiling players and developing them and then they are on their way. This is kinda what Chevy did when he got empty cupboards from Atlanta with some good players to build around. It takes patience and I haven't seen much of it from the organization. GMTM was horrible. My opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I can't imagine. I was self isolated when it first started but am back at work now and Manitoba hasn't had a case reported since June. My better half was getting tired of me by the time she went back to work and the only break she got from me was when she went to work. I am still diligent and wear a mask in public but things are starting to return to normal. I can't say enough about how our province handled this situation. I don't really care for the premier of the province but he did a pretty good job dealing with it.

I also know what it is like backing a losing team as our Winnipeg Blue Bombers didn't win a cup in an 8/9 team league since 1990! They won in 2019 after they finally assembled a competent front office and GM/coaches and stuck with them and kept things relatively stable. It doesn't even look like the league will play this year. They are talking about Winnipeg as a hub city and I don't want that. Forget about this year and move on to the 2021 season. The Canadian government should help the teams (especially community owned teams) financially.

It is only my opinion but I think the Sabres organization hasn't been thinking long term for a while now and that has to change. Dealing Cozens is about as foolish as they come. Most articles I read have him in the top 5 of the best prospects not in the NHL and at least one had him ranked #1. Eichel-Cozens as a one two punch would be deadly. The team has to go through another 2 seasons of not doing very well while stockpiling players and developing them and then they are on their way. This is kinda what Chevy did when he got empty cupboards from Atlanta with some good players to build around. It takes patience and I haven't seen much of it from the organization. GMTM was horrible. My opinion. 

I hear you.  I'm in Halifax and things are pretty good here, but I am fearing the worst since our premier, who was doing a good job of handling the COVID thing, suddenly turned back into the idiot that he is.  We have opened up the so called "Atlantic Bubble" where we are free to travel in the region if we live here.  The problem is that they are lettting in everyone and their dog who do not reside in one of the four Atlantic provinces.  Even dumber is the grand announcement that we will not be turning away cars with US plates on them when they arrive at the boarder of NS.

• Like (+1) 3