Eddie Shack battling cancer... [UPDATED] Passed Away

LabattBlue

About other Stanley Cup teammates in Toronto, Armstrong reports: “I haven’t spoken to Nevvy (Bob Nevin) in awhile but I did talk on the phone with Dave Keon the other day in Florida. He’s fine and being very careful with all the [COVID–19] infections down there. Unfortunately, Shackie (Eddie Shack) isn’t doing well in his cancer fight. Which is sad (Shack, 83, has entered palliative care). And, I’m told Bobby Baun is also ailing, though I’m not certain what’s wrong; if he also has cancer. And, of course, we lost ol’ Red [Kelly] a few years ago. What a super guy. And, a great hockey player. But, hey, that’s life. None of us are going to live forever.”

http://betweentheposts.ca/2020/07/the-chief-is-90-and-spectacular/?fbclid=IwAR1GFeMVbv4SKVJ_ZjWUbQy3fOnVvKH8ymhwVKfrTc6WhDo0wAywesm8nSM

Very sad!  ?

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Sad 2

One of my old guys! 

I brought Eddie Shack to Buffalo because I thought he could still score some goals and that he would excite the fans.  I  was right on both accounts as he scored 25 goals in 56 games on an expansion team.  Then i traded him for Rene Robert, a guy I always liked.  i needed a player that could skate with Martin and Perreault and I found him. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

One of my old guys! 

I brought Eddie Shack to Buffalo because I thought he could still score some goals and that he would excite the fans.  I  was right on both accounts as he scored 25 goals in 56 games on an expansion team.  Then i traded him for Rene Robert, a guy I always liked.  i needed a player that could skate with Martin and Perreault and I found him. 

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

One of my old guys! 

Thanks - always enjoyed him as a Sabre

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

One of my old guys! 

Thanks Punch.  You're the best and you wear nice hats too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I remember seeing Eddie Shack in a classic moment in the Aud.  He scored a hat trick..  The Buffalo fans littered the ice with hats of course.   Then he got the games First Star.  He took the hat off of a security guard and skated out onto the ice to the delight of the crowd.  He did a full lap, while bobbing his head up and down, wearing the cops hat.  

Eddie The Entertainer.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, man.  Some of my favourite memories of the Sabres' first couple of years are of Eddie the Entertainer.  Note the back cover, @LabattBlue.

Favourite Eddie Shack story:

Rudy Pilous, coach of the Chicago Black Hawks, was getting annoyed at Shack in a game in Chicago Stadium and started taunting him.  At one point, he yelled  "Shack!  You illiterate loser!"

Later in the game, Shack scored and then skated over in front of Pilous.  He raised his arms, and sarcastically proclaimed, "SCORE!  S-C-O-A-R!  SCORE!"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.