Anthony Cirelli - Can The Sabres of Buffalo Realistically Obtain Him, And If So, What Would It Cost?

Andrew Amerk

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Unless they shed cap, it will be impossible to sign more than one of Cirelli, Sergachev and Cernak

Fixed it for you.

The numbers are below. Tampa essentially needs to dump two $4 million-plus NTC veterans.

Edited by dudacek

On 6/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, dudacek said:

History says Tampa should get something done, but man are they in trouble.

They have 10 forwards and 3 defencemen under contract.

They have to sign 5-7 players to fill out their roster. They have 5.4 million in cap space.

Let’s say they promote three prospects or sign minimum wage vets to take care of half those slots.

Then you are left with $3 million to re-sign or replace half your starting defence (Sergachev, Cernak, Shattenkirk) as well as Cirelli

Every significant contract on their roster comes with a complete no-trade clause except Point and Killorn, who has a modified NTC. Let’s say they find a partner and move Killorn out for a pick.

That leaves $7.5 to sign or replace Killorn, Shattenkirk, Sergachev, Cernak and Cirelli.

If someone hit Cirelli with an $7 million offer sheet, what are they going to do?

Lots of people seem to think that TB will somehow get out of their current cap difficulty without too much pain, as they have always done in the past.

I want to remind everyone what they actually did to get out of trouble last offseason.  They traded away a 26 year old forward on a reasonable long term contract who went on to put up 72 pts in 69 games on his new team, in exchange for a mid 1st round pick.  That was them successfully getting out of trouble without too much pain.

This offseason, their situation is even worse.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Curt said:

Lots of people seem to think that TB will somehow get out of their current cap difficulty without too much pain, as they have always done in the past.

I want to remind everyone what they actually did to get out of trouble last offseason.  They traded away a 26 year old forward on a reasonable long term contract who went on to put up 72 pts in 69 games on his new team, in exchange for a mid 1st round pick.  That was them successfully getting out of trouble without too much pain.

I think their struggle with the cap is real. BriseBois basically inherited Stevie Y’s team and now has to deal with a bunch of NTCs.

He apprenticed under Yzerman but he is new to the scenario facing him. He cannot keep that team together, good assets can be had.

Leafs fans think Dubas is a cap genius but he gave the Canes Marleau and a first just to shed that salary.

There are deals to be had this off season.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Yet, a situation we would all kill for, and your post highlights their embarrassment of riches. They traded away a guy who put up 6 less points than Jack Eichel and no one talks about it even being a *factor* for them. Insanity. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

There is a name on this list(without a NMC/NTC)  who has two years remaining on his current contract and he is still a RFA. 

7569FED6-5A98-4049-9E9E-6835D0E29C49.jpeg

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I highly doubt they will trade Point before trading Cirelli.

They could get a better return and save more cap by trading Point.

It has to be something they are considering.

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

Yet, a situation we would all kill for, and your post highlights their embarrassment of riches. They traded away a guy who put up 6 less points than Jack Eichel and no one talks about it even being a *factor* for them. Insanity. 

Well, I’m talking about cap situation, not talent.  Buffalo is in a better cap situation this offseason, but obviously is in worse overall situation as a team/organization.

For TB, having too many good players to afford is a good problem to have, but it’s still a problem.  One which other teams will try to exploit.

TB will absolutely NOT take Risto and his salary and there has to be serious doubt they'd take Mitts as he is unproven and seemingly not strong enough...it will take our 8th and Cozens and maybe even more and that is the sad truth..we had a awesome 2nd lien center and gave him away and now we are pretty much screwed. Getting a really good 2nd line center is really hard...just ask a bunch of other teams who like us are after that very same thing. It would seem silly to give up Cozens in any trade and most trades of any magnitude will probably  see the other team ask for him. Jack is at his peak and we are wasting those years playing crappy hockey but giving up our future for today is also no answer.  Sabres have a real tough decision here and either way they go it will hurt! And I also think TB will figure this out

TB will have to do something similar to last year to get out of their current cap issues.  If we wait them out they will blink and someone will spring forward for pennies on the dollar.  Patience is a virtue, or so I'm told.  Let's see if Ky has it.  If Dudley comes in they better cage him, as I don't think he is the patient type.

2 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

TB will absolutely NOT take Risto and his salary and there has to be serious doubt they'd take Mitts as he is unproven and seemingly not strong enough...it will take our 8th and Cozens and maybe even more and that is the sad truth..we had a awesome 2nd lien center and gave him away and now we are pretty much screwed. Getting a really good 2nd line center is really hard...just ask a bunch of other teams who like us are after that very same thing. It would seem silly to give up Cozens in any trade and most trades of any magnitude will probably  see the other team ask for him. Jack is at his peak and we are wasting those years playing crappy hockey but giving up our future for today is also no answer.  Sabres have a real tough decision here and either way they go it will hurt! And I also think TB will figure this out

Oh, they most assuredly will, but it will probably weaken their team in the process.

The question is, can we improve our team by helping them figure it out?

Would you take Killorn or Johnson for a 3rd? Would you pay more? Cozens and 8 and next year’s first for Brayden Point? McDonough and Palat for Okposo and Pilut?

16 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

I don’t think it would cost that much, and there is no way you know that is the TRUTH.

TB will figure it out like they did last offseason when they had to trade JT Miller for a semi protected 1st and a 3rd.

Edited by Curt

10 hours ago, Curt said:

Well, I’m talking about cap situation, not talent.  Buffalo is in a better cap situation this offseason, but obviously is in worse overall situation as a team/organization.

For TB, having too many good players to afford is a good problem to have, but it’s still a problem.  One which other teams will try to exploit.

I know and understood that, I was just making a separate point. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.