Your 5 Favorite Non-Sabres Of All-Time

Andrew Amerk

20 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Figured this could be fun during this down time. 

1. Jari Kurri

2. Cam Neely

3. Bob Probert

4. Kevin Stevens 

5. Alex Ovechkin 

Honorable mentions - Sakic, Datsyuk, Hextall 

I'd really have to think about this...but Kurri, Neely, and Ovechkin were the first 3 names I thought of.  

If I had to come up with 2 more....

Peter Bondra

Pavel Bure

1.  Markus Naslund, LW (Vancouver Canucks):  When you talk about a power forward who can compete in night and night out, you talk about one of my favorite Swede's of all time.  A natural prime time scorer on the West Coast Express.  Humble off the ice, but a beast on it.  

2. Jaromir Jagr, RW (Pittsburgh Peguins):  One of the strongest competitors I've ever seen play, with an ego on the ice to propel himself to be better.  Dangles for days, and the ability to skate by you, through you or around you.  

3.  Chris Pronger, D (St Louis Blues):  A leader in the room, and an agitator on the ice.  He could skate, hit, and maul you into pieces.  

4. "Super" Mario Lemieux, C (Pittsburgh Penguins):  The ability to use size, and skill at the same time.  Tenacity, toughness and the ability to score when you needed him most. 

5. "Foppa" Petr Forsberg, C/RW (Colorado Avalanche:  The best thing I can say about Petr, he was a wolf on and off the puck.  Someone strong in the center, but able to lead a team on the wing too.  

Honorable mentions:  Henrik/Daniel Sedin, Steve Yzerman, Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, Raymond Bourque, 

1. Mario Lemieux- Was so dominate with size and skill.

2. Brett Hull- (St Louis days)- shot was so deadly

3. Theo Fluery- always loved his determination and feistiness for how small he was

4. Mike Richter- favorite American born goalie growing up

5. Al MacInnis- hard shot great passer

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I'd really have to think about this...but Kurri, Neely, and Ovechkin were the first 3 names I thought of.  

If I had to come up with 2 more....

Peter Bondra

Pavel Bure

Bondra was another favorite of mine. Gave me one of his sticks after a Sabres game when I was a kid. 

Would’ve won the Rocket Richard in 97-98, but the award didn’t exist until 98-99. 500 goal scorer. 

Guy Lefleur.  Reminded my young eyes of Gilbert Perreault, and for that I liked him.

Joe Sakic.  I hated the Avalanche but Sakic was a class guy.

Alex Ovechkin.  Who wouldn't want him on your team?

Steve Yzerman.  Another class guy.

Mark Messier.  Willed the 1995 Rangers to a Cup championship.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/4/2020 at 10:24 AM, Andrew Amerk said:

If Warrener had been covering Straka on the GWG...

Not sure to this day why he went into the corner by himself leaving Straka all alone in front. 

What a bullsh*t goal

On 7/4/2020 at 8:26 AM, LabattBlue said:

Gretzky

LaFleur

Dionne

Bossy

Orr

I’m surprised it took this long in the thread for Gretzky.  He was amazing.  Not a big guy, not a great shot, just a great player.

Gretzky 

Ovechkin

LaFleur-  full rink rushes as exciting as Perreault.

Pavelski

Logan Couture

On 7/4/2020 at 7:47 PM, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Wendel Clark

I think this was the first mention of him. He's on my totally arbitrary not very well informed list as well.

29 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Gilmour played for the Sabres.

But perhaps the vote is cast for his time as a non-Sabre.

In addition to Wendel Clark and taking Gretzky as a given, I guess I'd go:

2. Dave Tiger Williams (unmatched goal celebration)

3. Ovechkin (the most fun player to watch live, in my experience)

4. Lafleur (reminded me of Perreault, yes, but perhaps more graceful whereas Perreault was more powerful)

5. Lanny McDonald (for the 'stache and his team's epic Cup win (in his final season?))

38 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I know that. But he was a Sabre for like 10 minutes at the end of his career.  He was one of my favorite players a long time before that.  If we insist that that not count I will substitute Brendan Shanahan

Not necessary, I was just pointing it out, as did someone else about Joe Juneau. And nobody really said what the rules were even when asked.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.