Ryan Stimson's "new" power play approach

Eleven

28 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Idk. Batters seem to torch a slow pitch being tossed in a home run derby just about the same as a hanging fastball in a game. 

Also, my speculation is that the shot speed is going to be the same whether the puck is coming straight at a stick, or from the side, if point of release is identical - the flex/torque would still be originating from the same point. If Al Iafrate can shoot a motionless puck 104mph, I don’t think that speed is increasing with a moving puck coming at his stick. I could be wrong, just making guesses. 

I'm for what ever works. Having options and changing it up on the fly would keep the opposition on their heels.

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

I tend to agree. I think the difference is probably negligible. But I only did ok in physics and there are a whole lot of variables in this equation.

Also, Al Iafrate had the second best hair in the history of hockey.

Yeah, it’s pretty hard to beat that Jagr mullet. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

In baseball and golf compression of the bat, club, and ball all matter. In hockey it would be flex of the stick so I would guess that a puck coming toward you would slightly increase the flex of the stick and improve the players load on the shot. Pucks flex a little too, they are rubber after all, even if it's frozen.

Given that players are more likely to take quick shots on plays like that I'd guess that it makes a snapper a little harder.

Agree. More energy in the equation to convert. 

17 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The times that Reinhart operated below the net this past season saw good results. If the cross ice pass isn't open, get behind the net and let those 2 guys creep into the circles for one timers. 

I think that's the key to this idea. You need quick one timers from guys moving into those areas. presumably Oloffson and Skinner (?) 

It is hard, however, to make this idea work against teams with those big long reach D men like a Chara, who are very good at cutting off all passes from behind the net. 

Myself I'm old school. Big immovable object in front screening and tipping and lots of motion from the other four, switching positions as the play dictates. Communication between those players is the key.

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think that's the key to this idea. You need quick one timers from guys moving into those areas. presumably Oloffson and Skinner (?) 

It is hard, however, to make this idea work against teams with those big long reach D men like a Chara, who are very good at cutting off all passes from behind the net. 

Myself I'm old school. Big immovable object in front screening and tipping and lots of motion from the other four, switching positions as the play dictates. Communication between those players is the key.

You behind the net and cross ice passes

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You behind the net and cross ice passes

Fair, but cross ice passes are tough to make inside the box area against a good D. If this style of PP does not have guys willing to drive the net hard (a type of player we do not have in over abundance) it can keep you cycling the puck out in the periphery and accomplishing little or nothing with your puck possession. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.