Dylan Cozens in his first NHL season

LGR4GM

I was watching highlights and I was thinking about where a player like Cozens could end up as far as the lineup goes. The truth is that isn't as important as what role he would play on the ice. I noticed later in the season Risto in front of the net (which was dumb) on the PP and that is spot I would like to see Czoens get some time. He is big enough and skilled enough, it is a place he has played before, it helps give him protected minutes. 

What other types of on ice situations should Cozens be put in? Front of net on the PP, winger to start, center to start, pk? 

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Do we want him in the NHL or in Rochester?  Are the Sabres "rushing" him if he plays in Buffalo?

Liger did not pose that question, nor did he suggest when the first NHL season will be.  

I think Dylan will get his 9 games at the start of the coming season, when it actually starts is another matter, but will end up in Rochester after that.  For, at least part of the coming season.

And to answer Liger's question ... I have no idea.

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Do we want him in the NHL or in Rochester?  Are the Sabres "rushing" him if he plays in Buffalo?

17 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Liger did not pose that question, nor did he suggest when the first NHL season will be.  

I think Dylan will get his 9 games at the start of the coming season, when it actually starts is another matter, but will end up in Rochester after that.  For, at least part of the coming season.

And to answer Liger's question ... I have no idea.

Cozens can not play in the AHL for the 2020-21 season.  He is too young.  It’s NHL or WHL.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 4

Would definitely give him the 9 game look.

Would pencil him in as the net front presence on A PP.  Which one?  Whichever 1 he earns.  Pencil him in on PP2 to start & see if he can force them to adjust Reinhart's role on PP1 by being as/more effective than him.

Would not have him anywhere near the PK.  He looks like eventually he could play there like Eichel does, but would give him even less time on the PK than Dahlin got his 1st year.

Would pencil him in as 3RW & let him know he could play his way into 3C, 2RW, or even 1RW (in that order).

Where he slots is/ should be entirely in his hands.  Make him earn what he gets & hope he rises to the challenges.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It's a skating league and his skating is arguably his greatest attribute.   Give him the full season in Buffalo, but bring in an established veteran 2-3C he can learn from.    Eichel isn't that guy, not yet anyway, he has enough on his plate.   Start him on the wing, ease him in to start the season.   Give him 12-15min/gm, with a clearly defined role.   

It's all about putting him in the right situation where he's not relied on to produced offense, but is challenged enough to develop his game.

If they don't or can't put him in that environment, then let him play out the season in the WHL.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

From 2010 to 2019 there have been 22 Centers drafted out of the CHL from pick no. 2 to pick 10 of the first rd.  Of these players Cozens in the only 1 not in pro hockey.  19 are in the NHL, one in the KHL and 1 in the AHL. (Reinhart, Seguin, Patrick, Galchenyuk, D Strome, Dubois, Draisaitl, Dach, Bennett, Johansen, R Strome, Hayton, Glass, Monahan, Zacha, Skinner, Cozens, Scheifele, Couterier, Burmistrov, Rasmussen and Horvat)  Only Burmistrov was a true bust so far and most have become top 6 forwards. 

Of these 21, 15 have played 8 games or less in the AHL Regular Season.  Most came after their CHL seasons ended.  7 have never played in the AHL (RS or playoffs).  Of these 21, 7 made the jump directly into the NHL following their draft year.  2 played 50% or less of another CHL season before being recalled.  8 played one extra CHL and only 4 played 2 extra CHL seasons (2 of which where the Strome brothers).  The players that Cozens seems most similar to are Sean Monahan, Couturier, Leon Draisaitl, and Pierre-Luc Dubois.  

Draisaitl really? Yes really.  Leon average 1.39 pts/GM his draft year and then 1.66 the following season before jumping into the NHL.  Cozens was 1.24 and 1.67 respectively.  

So how do I interpret these stats?  Quality of player varies greatly season to season, but interestingly, of the 4 Centers drafted in the top 10 who averaged less the 1 pt per game their draft year, all 4 went back for one more CHL season and then jumped directly into the NHL (Zacha, Horvat, Johansen and Hayton, although Johansen eventually was sent down for 40 games in D+3).  Cozens is a better and more accomplished player then these 4.  

He is almost certainly NHL ready.  He'll be our 3rd line center next season and RK will shelter him somewhat early in the year as he adapts to the league.  My guess is that he gets mostly O zone starts, especially early in the year and gets PT on the 2nd unit PP as a net front presence much like Samson did in year one.   Based on the guys who went back to the CHL for all of their D+1 season, they scored from 24-48 pts year 1 in the NHL. Dubois leads at 48.  I think is Cozens scores 30+ and grows over the season that will be a solid first year.  (Monahan had 34, Dubois 48, Couterier 27)

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

stuff

We're not in 100% agreement on the premise, but I agree 100% with the conclusions.  Cozens is NHL ready and, based on NHL Equivalency, and has more NHL potential this season than Casey MIttelstadt..  Ideally, our roster needs to be improved so that Cozens will not have to be the 2C.  He needs sheltered time -time against manageable quality of competition and good offensive zone starts- with quality veteran support on the wings.  And because we have some options with him, he'll need to continue to work hard to demonstrate he's ready for the NHL.

He'll get his 9 games & he'll stick to the NHL roster this time. Development wise, I'd be more worried about Cozens' if he had to play another season in the WHL. He's already risen to the top & likely learned as much as he can versus that competition. I want him to continue to grow & be challenged. If he had to play another season there, would his focus drop off, would his attitude change for the worse? Why even mess around with it.

Plus we need him to contribute now. That doesnt mean we just force him into a role but i think after training camp & this extended period of time prior to the season starting, he'll be ready. Cozens isn't Casey Mittlestadt, his body is more developed physically so he shouldn't be such a liability out there to get pushed off the puck. I'll be shocked if he's not on the roster come this season.

5 hours ago, Curt said:

Cozens can not play in the AHL for the 2020-21 season.  He is too young.  It’s NHL or WHL.

Hadn't realized that this stupid rule still applied to Cozens; I thought he was older.

I have the feeling that people will blame Adams for "rushing" him too soon in the future, if he sticks in Buffalo.

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Hadn't realized that this stupid rule still applied to Cozens; I thought he was older.

I have the feeling that people will blame Adams for "rushing" him too soon in the future, if he sticks in Buffalo.

It'll almost entirely depend on the optics of how he's handled. Whether he puts up 30 points as a 2C, or 30 points as a winger, will make a huge difference in terms of whether fans will judge him to have been "ready" or not. 

Edited by Thorny

Cozens has outgrown the WHL, he will be with the big team playing 2RW/3C.   But I think he'll play center pretty fast seeing our need for 2C/3C.    I actually think his playing style will match skinners but I want a RW that can throw his body around for him on that line.   

14 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Cozens has outgrown the WHL, he will be with the big team playing 2RW/3C.   But I think he'll play center pretty fast seeing our need for 2C/3C.    I actually think his playing style will match skinners but I want a RW that can throw his body around for him on that line.   

Cozens tosses his body around. You want a RW that has some jam.... let me tell you about Seth Jarvis. 

• Like (+1) 2

not sure if anyone mentioned Cozens is not AHL eligible  LOL...anyways I simply do not like the idea of rushing him in and putting piles of pressure on him as our much needed 2nd center...it would be different (maybe) if he was slowly worked into the lineup but then again I do not like that either...the truth is he should be allowed to mature and needs at least a year in AHL...and more so we need a GM who actually identifies the need for that real NHL 2nd line center or this team will never amount to much as it is far too easy for the other teams to defend against a one-line team...

2 hours ago, Xzy89c said:

his ceiling is third line center.  hopefully he can get there in next couple years.

It may not be next season but there are strong odds that he will be the 2C or second line forward the following season. He is going to make the roster this year, and if handled properly and playing with the right players will be a contributor in his rookie year. He probably is more advanced that Mitts and Tage. Even as an 18 or 19 year old he is physically very developed with room to grow and very mature. The attacked link is a column on Cozens by Jordan LaBarber from NHL.com.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-prospects-rewind-dylan-cozens/c-316649574

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.