Rick Dudley Unlikely to Join Sabres

Brawndo

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is all valid and reasonable, but also clearly, firmly on the "giving Terry and Kim the benefit of the doubt" side. Which is fine - but I'm not surprised to see so many wary of their hiring prowess. 

Are you surprised by that?

I certainly understand the skepticism toward the Pegulas hiring talents. Their history of churning over the staff doesn't promote confidence in their ability to make good hires. But if they deserve criticism for the past hires what doesn't make sense is to criticize them for not quickly making a hire before scanning the full range of candidates that might be available to them not only now but in the near future.  

Right now we don't know what the position will entail that will make a candidate such as Dudley suitable or not. And what we don't know is who the new GM wants to hire and what responsibilities will be assigned to the new hire. 

As far as I am concerned not quickly making a decision on an important hire (if there is to be one) is a sign of prudence.  And that is not something to complain about. 

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I certainly understand the skepticism toward the Pegulas hiring talents. Their history of churning over the staff doesn't promote confidence in their ability to make good hires. But if they deserve criticism for the past hires what doesn't make sense is to criticize them for not quickly making a hire before scanning the full range of candidates that might be available to them not only now but in the near future.  

Right now we don't know what the position will entail that will make a candidate such as Dudley suitable or not. And what we don't know is who the new GM wants to hire and what responsibilities will be assigned to the new hire. 

As far as I am concerned not quickly making a decision on an important hire (if there is to be one) is a sign of prudence.  And that is not something to complain about. 

I agree in theory, but I’m not sure the bolded is something the Pegulas actually do. They certainly didn’t with Adams. 

Second bolded is a key point, too. With their apparent distrust of outside influence, I’m not convinced there will be an upper level hire at all. In fact I’m confused as to why so many think there will be. Haven’t the Pegulas more less stated they don’t have the desire to bring in another big voice? They prefer the direct contact with the GM. 

Maybe they’ll bring in an advisor. Someone like Dudley probably require more table space than they were willing to give, my guess is regardless of whether there were any key philosophical differences. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I agree in theory, but I’m not sure the bolded is something the Pegulas actually do. They certainly didn’t with Adams. 

Second bolded is a key point, too. With their apparent distrust of outside influence, I’m not convinced there will be an upper level hire at all. In fact I’m confused as to why so many think there will be. Haven’t the Pegulas more less stated they don’t have the desire to bring in another big voice? They prefer the direct contact with the GM. 

Maybe they’ll bring in an advisor. Someone like Dudley probably require more table space than they were willing to give, my guess is regardless of whether there were any key philosophical differences. 

What a lot of people aren't considering is that the impetus for this organizational restructure was primarily a business decision and not a hockey decision. The owners were going to keep Botterill and allow him finish the last year on his contract. They even made a public announcement about that. However, the affects of the pandemic devastated every business endeavor the owners were involved with. In this bleak economic environment the Pegulas were requiring/ordering Botterill to dramatically thin out the staff. It was understandable why he wasn't keen on firing the staff that he hired to the gutting extent that the Pegulas wanted. While the PR storyline that the Pegulas gave revolved around the issue of communication the reality is that they couldn't persuade him to do what they wanted him to do. So he was fired. 

Adams was an internal hire. It's obvious why there was no outside searching for a new GM. What outside candidate would have found the Sabre GM appealing knowing that the organization was undergoing a severe austerity program. While a lot of us are scrutinizing the ownership moves through the prism of hockey they were/are acting through the prism of financial considerations. When you are in a difficult business situation it shouldn't be surprising that tough business decisions will be made. That's the reality of what is going on here. 

Do you think Terry would do this in his other business? 

Wanted:  

Gas Fracking Executive. 

No experience necessary/needed.  Must communicate well and agree with ownership.  The position is no longer than 3 years and salary is a major concern.  Call Terry/Kim Pegula for an interview in West Palm Beach, FL. (Flying Coach class).

Why do it in the hockey business?

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/9/2020 at 9:44 AM, JohnC said:

Due to the corona situation this is going to be an extended offseason that will allow the organization a lot of time to scan the market for new staff. Why would it be wise to quickly hire someone for an important position when there are other candidates that this organization might have an interest in. Dudley is an experienced hockey staffer who has a variety of experiences in the business. That doesn't mean that there aren't other high qualified candidates for whatever positions the organization wants to fill.  

It was reported that Dudley had an interest in working for the Sabres. Assuming that is true what we don't know is what roles would he be willing to accept if offered a position. I'm not diminishing Dudley's hockey knowledge but that doesn't mean that he would be a good fit under this new organizational structure. And if he is so indispensable why is he not being retained by the Canes? 

This should apply to the GM position and too - yet they hired an inexperienced GM Who they know personally without looking at anyone.  There were no GM interviews just as there will be no other Hockey Executive interviews.  

Dudley, in the same role he had in Carolina, would help this team.  The guy was a Sabre and he lives 45 minutes away from the rink.  Dudley probably wants role clarity, real responsibility, and money.  The Pegula’s  are not interested.  They know and they like Adams and Ralph. They think that is the senior management team on the hockey side. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

I think people understand *why* the decisions are being made, there is just some question as to whether that being prioritized by the Pegulas is going to lead to success.

You ask the key question. Can a thinned out staff make enough smart hockey decisions or even better decisions than a more fully staffed organization? Is a smaller staff with less bureaucracy and more interaction be more creative and flexible than an organization with a lot of divisions? If you hire the right people and everyone is in sync from top to bottom there should be good results. If you consider what is happening with the changes in how the organization is going to be run the most influential person in the organization appears to be Krueger. He has made a career on the lecture circuit talking about recreating organizations to maximize output. 

I don't know how things are going to turn out with the Pegula mandated changes. What all of us will be watching are the player decisions that will be made this offseason. If the brain trust can make some smart decisions with the players they bring in and better balance this roster then I will be encouraged. If not, it will be very discouraging. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You ask the key question. Can a thinned out staff make enough smart hockey decisions or even better decisions than a more fully staffed organization? Is a smaller staff with less bureaucracy and more interaction be more creative and flexible than an organization with a lot of divisions? If you hire the right people and everyone is in sync from top to bottom there should be good results. If you consider what is happening with the changes in how the organization is going to be run the most influential person in the organization appears to be Krueger. He has made a career on the lecture circuit talking about recreating organizations to maximize output. 

I don't know how things are going to turn out with the Pegula mandated changes. What all of us will be watching are the player decisions that will be made this offseason. If the brain trust can make some smart decisions with the players they bring in and better balance this roster then I will be encouraged. If not, it will be very discouraging. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Tondas said:

Wanted:  

Gas Fracking Executive. 

No experience necessary/needed.  Must communicate well and agree with ownership.  The position is no longer than 3 years and salary is a major concern.  Call Terry/Kim Pegula for an interview in West Palm Beach, FL. (Flying Coach class).

Maybe, just maybe, he did.

20 hours ago, Tondas said:

Wanted:  

Gas Fracking Executive. 

I don't think Terry hires anyone 

30 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Punch, are you now Maslow???

No, I’m still Punch.  All this talk of organization charts ... I posted my favorite chart.  

I’m retiring soon so I keep figuring out how to get to Blue!  

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I’m retiring soon so I keep figuring out how to get to Blue!  

Do what I did when I retired.  Go to a bar, they have all the Blue you can drink.?  Probably not what Maslow was thinking, but it works for me.

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Do what I did when I retired.  Go to a bar, they have all the Blue you can drink.?  Probably not what Maslow was thinking, but it works for me.

I can get all the beer, scotch and wine I need.  Covid is killing my travel plans right now.  I’ll consult for awhile until things open up, then call it a career. 

And I know why Dudley won’t settle for some senior scout ***** job. Because he worked his way up the ranks and adapted.  I can’t fathom working at 71 but he is known for his dedication and intensity.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

I can get all the beer, scotch and wine I need.  Covid is killing my travel plans right now.  I’ll consult for awhile until things open up, then call it a career. 

Sounds like a good plan.  I retired as soon as I could.  I really enjoyed my job and it was tough to leave at 56, but I love my wife.  Tomorrow is promised to no one.  I think I'm in good health, but who knows.  I didn't want to feel any regret if something happened and I was spending time at work as opposed to being with her.  Life is too short.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Sounds like a good plan.  I retired as soon as I could.  I really enjoyed my job and it was tough to leave at 56, but I love my wife.  Tomorrow is promised to no one.  I think I'm in good health, but who knows.  I didn't want to feel any regret if something happened and I was spending time at work as opposed to being with her.  Life is too short.

I retired at 55, and have not a single regret.  Life is good!  ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:14 AM, JohnC said:

I like the cut of your jib.

I’m good with Krueger being the key mind, if he understands and allows Dahlin to play to his strengths. That’s my biggest concern with Ralph. It’s pretty crucial.

Chad had a nice breakdown, and a great read, for one possible way to construct this team under a cheaper bottom line - posted it in the off-season game plan thread if you are interested. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.