Rick Dudley Unlikely to Join Sabres

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

If Dudley isn't a " good fit" then there's still problems with organization. A guy like Dudley doesn't come along very often, you make him fit when you are in dire need of his assets.

Ok........Dudley seems good and all, but did I miss the moment when he became some type of iconic FO executive who has created great teams???

Dudley seemed like a good candidate, but there are a lot of reasons why it may not have been a fit.  He isn’t the only guy in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Ok........Dudley seems good and all, but did I miss the moment when he became some type of iconic FO executive who has created great teams???

Dudley seemed like a good candidate, but there are a lot of reasons why it may not have been a fit.  He isn’t the only guy in the NHL.

On 7/6/2020 at 10:34 PM, Randall Flagg said:

Whether it's Dudley or someone else, I think we'd all just be relieved to have a talent evaluator with credible evidence of NHL results. That isn't to say that the Sabres can't build something good without this, or such that it exists but we don't know about it, but I think an optically pleasant offseason of front-office additions would do wonders for the board's optimism when the pucks are flying again, and certainly wouldn't harm the Sabres' prospects for next year

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

And just how many do we pass up... what's the proper NHL quota?

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

What if Adams was the one who did not want him aboard?

It’s completely conceivable and probably likely that anyone with power in the organization currently may be hesitant in bringing in a potential hedge to that power. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Pegulas don’t want anyone else in there and don’t want to pay them anyways, and it definitely wouldn’t shock me if it was Adams, who after finally getting a position of real power, who said “no thanks” on Dudley. Indications clearly are Terry and Kim listen to what he has to say.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

And just how many do we pass up... what's the proper NHL quota?

You try to hire the person who you think is a good fit.  You pass on anyone who you don’t think is a good fit.  It’s not that complicated.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, SDS said:

What if Adams was the one who did not want him aboard?

That was basically my question earlier.  Do we know who didn't want Dudley brought in?  There are 4 people that would be expected to have the clout to keep him out.

Still would be very interested in knowing which of the 4 said 'no.'  (And thereby also how many of the 4.)

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

@john wawrow Tweeted in that same thread that Dudley had interest in coming to the Sabres.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't mean anything

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Seriously?

There are media reports out there that Dudley would like to take on a role with the Sabres.  And to not even talk to him doesn't imply somebody with a say in the matter said 'no?'

And, if they DID talk to him, then for the AP tweet to be correct (and John is correct FAR more than he isn't) then somebody definitely nixed the idea.

All Wawrow reported was that, essentially, Dudley wouldn't have been opposed to the idea. We have no idea if he ever reached out to the Sabres, or if they ever reached out to him. 

You can't nix something that never existed.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Lol didn’t even think of Ralph. But I bet you Jack is more influential than everyone but the owners. 

In some matters, would totally agree.

But on what level would/ could Eichel take issue with bringing in Dudley?  Both Krueger & Adams could have issues (either LT or ST) w/ having a guy effectively looking over their shoulders.  But Jack's role is soooo different than either of the other 2 that what his issue would be aren't intuitively obvious.

Just now, Taro T said:

In some matters, would totally agree.

But on what level would/ could Eichel take issue with bringing in Dudley?  Both Krueger & Adams could have issues (either LT or ST) w/ having a guy effectively looking over their shoulders.  But Jack's role is soooo different than either of the other 2 that what his issue would be aren't intuitively obvious.

Sorry I don’t actually think he was involved with Dudley. I was just wondering who the 4 influentials were in general. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Sabres current Mount Rushmore of Organizational Influence would probably need an extra head attached. I’d say there are 5 Big Wigs. 

If you had to remove one, it’s probably somehow Adams or Krueger haha. Jack’s got more seniority ?

Edited by Thorny

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

What if Dudley was never considered and never considered the Sabres?  I mean, it is plausible you know.

Wawrow is (& IIRC others are) on record saying Dudley was interested in joining the Sabres.

In what field would somebody find out that a big wig at a competitor was leaving the competitor & moving (figuratively) just down the street & wouldn't have anybody interested in at minimum talking to the guy.  The NHL is a very insular community & Dudley is well respected and has had success especially in the FO of low budget teams.  (You know, the kind of "do more with less" situation that we hear the Sabres are looking to be at least for the short term.)

Regardless of the ownership's views of NHL "insiders" & their recommendations, this isn't just some random NHL insider.  This is a guy who has been in & out of the organization multiple times & still considers the team special to him.  

To believe nobody in the upper echelon of the "flat structure" even contemplated talking to him defies credulity.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

That's all well and good, but it doesn't mean anything

All Wawrow reported was that, essentially, Dudley wouldn't have been opposed to the idea. We have no idea if he ever reached out to the Sabres, or if they ever reached out to him. 

You can't nix something that never existed.

What I read from Wawrow was more definite than that.

41 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm interested in winning the lottery but it hasn't happened yet. 

Maybe he was interested in doing a certain job for the Sabres and the Sabres didn't want him doing that job.  I don't know it just seems like much ado about nothing.

At this point giving the Pegulas the benefit of the doubt on anything is very unwise. Imagine being bigger failures and more incompetent as an NHL owner than Melnyk.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.