Rick Dudley Unlikely to Join Sabres

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You make excellent points but I have a different perspective on a Dudley hire and usage. Without a doubt he has had a long and distinguished career in the hockey business. Just as there are different stages in life there are also different stages in the work world. One way of looking at it as a vocational lifespan. It is appropriate and smart to assess and then adjust what your role is in a business that you have been involved in one way or the other for nearly three quarters of a century. 

You are right that Dudley has an immensely greater amount of experience than Adams for the GM position. But that doesn't necessarily mean that at this stage of his hockey life he should be the GM of the Sabres and would be better than Adams at this particular time.  Sometimes new blood, energy and perspective can invigorate a stale operation. 

The role that I envision Dudley doing that best serves the organization is utilizing his expertise in scouting both in the pro and amateur ranks. I think it would be a mistake to place Dudley as a sidekick subordinate GM whose influence might benefit the inexperienced new GM. That is a recipe for an office disaster because it is too tempting for the oldster to dominate the youngster and create an atmosphere of conflict and resentment.   

This is a critical offseason for this meandering franchise. My optimistic view is if the organization makes a few judicious personnel decisions it can uplift not only the team but also the exasperated fan base. If it doesn't make the right decisions this franchise will continue to be irrelevant and increase the level of indifference by its fading fan base. 

Great points as well.  I may be guilty of exactly what you said, "That is a recipe for an office disaster because it is too tempting for the oldster to dominate the youngster and create an atmosphere of conflict and resentment." 

P.S.  I'm glad I'm retired!!, and maybe I should be. ?

1 minute ago, Tondas said:

Great points as well.  I may be guilty of exactly what you said, "That is a recipe for an office disaster because it is too tempting for the oldster to dominate the youngster and create an atmosphere of conflict and resentment." 

Whether you are retired or not accumulated wisdom should not go wasted. Some people are wise beyond their years; while others are wise because of their years. ?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Tondas said:

We have that in my office where I am disrespectful and get a talking to if I disagree with older office members... so now I do it more because I am sick and tired of "well that's how we've done it in the past". 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

We have that in my office where I am disrespectful and get a talking to if I disagree with older office members... so now I do it more because I am sick and tired of "well that's how we've done it in the past". 

I'm not directing my comments to how you respond in your office because I am not in position to fully know what the work environment is. What I can say in a general sense is that sometimes the reason why people at work aren't fully heard is due to the presentation. If one comes off as too dismissive of the other individual's opinions because of the other person's age or time at the company then it shouldn't be surprising that the counter response would be defensive and negative. Sometimes even body language can be a block to communicating one's view before a word is even spoken. As you noted it goes both ways.  What's become a lost art is the ability to listen. And that is an art that is an essential ingredient in making good company decisions. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

IMO I think Adams will do well in most of the business side of things but could maybe use help in some areas that Dudley might excel in.

Adams is similar to Duds in slot of ways, from beginning as a player all the way up the food chain in management, different only in experience. Adams pretty much ran the Harbor Center and in doing so was hands on in many aspects including teaching and evaluating young players.

Where I think he could use Rick's expertise is in area such as dealing with other GM's and agents and his way of scouting. I'm sure Dudley can ease him into how to deal with each GM or agent. How to negotiate a trade or contract. Showing him what he looks for when scouting a player, the ins and outs and behind the scenes type of things that experience gives you. More of an advisor/ teacher, rather than making decisions just someone to say "well, I did it this way and it worked 90% of the time". "Your way might work on Waddell or JBot but don't try that on Yzerman."

• Like (+1) 2

As I've been saying since the blood letting, KP/TP have zero idea what they are doing.  Is Dudley the right mentor for their new approach, I have no idea.  However to not even consider him is mind boggling.  

They fired Jbot because they felt he had a bloated organization and wasn't getting the job done.  That is perfectly reasonable.  However, stripping the organization to the bone and letting complete unknowns run the asylum without some kind of experienced consultant or mentor is beyond foolish.

All hope is pretty much lost.  Can't wait until he gets raked over the coals in his first trade.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This one seemed like a gimme.

Dudley designed the exact scouting model they want to implement

He had interested in joining the Sabres.

But hey they hired an accountant today!

(No disrespect to any accountants here)

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They don't miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

This piece of news is pretty disappointing, can't lie. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

So No Dudley

Very disappointing.

Bringing him into the fold, even for just 2-3 seasons, to help Adams as a sounding board at minimum seems like such an easy decision to make.

Wonder who it was that nixed the idea.  We're all likely assuming this is on the Pegulas, but could it be Adams or Krueger that didn't want the input?

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Very disappointing.

Bringing him into the fold, even for just 2-3 seasons, to help Adams as a sounding board at minimum seems like such an easy decision to make.

Wonder who it was that nixed the idea.  We're all likely assuming this is on the Pegulas, but could it be Adams or Krueger that didn't want the input?

Who says the idea was even around to be nixed? The fans are the only ones linking Dudley to the Sabres in any way.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Who says the idea was even around to be nixed? The fans are the only ones linking Dudley to the Sabres in any way.

Seriously?

There are media reports out there that Dudley would like to take on a role with the Sabres.  And to not even talk to him doesn't imply somebody with a say in the matter said 'no?'

And, if they DID talk to him, then for the AP tweet to be correct (and John is correct FAR more than he isn't) then somebody definitely nixed the idea.

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is a bit disappointing.  I definitely want them to bring in someone with a good amount of high level FO experience.  Maybe Dudley just wasn’t a good fit for whatever reason though.  

If Dudley isn't a " good fit" then there's still problems with organization. A guy like Dudley doesn't come along very often, you make him fit when you are in dire need of his assets.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again
  • Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is a bit disappointing.  I definitely want them to bring in someone with a good amount of high level FO experience.  Maybe Dudley just wasn’t a good fit for whatever reason though.  

No Canadians allowed in the front office, Botterill ruined it for everyone

?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.