Rick Dudley Unlikely to Join Sabres

Brawndo

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

IMO Dudley is not coming here...either because the Pegula’s are idiots and they think Kevyn Adam can be the front office hockey leader, or Dudley gets the call and hangs up the phone laughing hysterically.  

Either way, it’s not happening.   

If there's no spot for him in the front office, sign him to play 4th line LW.  He's 71, but he still scares the crap out of me.  There would be no liberties taken on our young'uns without ramifications.

Seriously, the best executives try to hire people smarter and more experienced than they are.  Dudley has 40 years of front office experience.  If I were Terry and Kim, I'd flip the keys to the KBC to Dudley and say, "Have at it, Duds, we'll be in West Palm Beach."

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

IMO Dudley is not coming here...either because the Pegula’s are idiots and they think Kevyn Adam can be the front office hockey leader, or Dudley gets the call and hangs up the phone laughing hysterically.  

Either way, it’s not happening.   

If Dudley gets a call, and does not end up being hired it will be because of where he slots in the new and flat organization.  

Dudley’s NHL pedigree suggests a VP position.  You don’t have VPs working for GMs, especially first year GMs who report directly to the President.  

If this conversation happens Dudley might want more status and control than the Pegula’s are willing to give him.  

We still don’t really know who Ralph reports to, let alone how Dudley would fit in.  Does Kim have time to support direct reports from Ralph, Adams, and Dudley, plus the Business side?   Why would she want that?  

I guess I don’t understand the organization.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We still don’t really know who Ralph reports to, let alone how Dudley would fit in. 

C’mon Punch...you know that it’s a flat organization where everyone reports to everyone.  That way when things go south, you can’t look at the org chart and try to figure out who is to blame. 

Remember that we the fans are stupid and don’t really understand the master plan that Kimmy and Terry have put in place. 

32 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If Dudley gets a call, and does not end up being hired it will be because of where he slots in the new and flat organization.  

Dudleys NHL pedigree suggests a VP position.  You don’t have VPs working for GMs, especially first year GMs who report directly to the President.  

If this conversation happens Dudley might want more status and control than the Pegula’s are willing to give him.  

We still don’t really know who Ralph reports to, let alone how Dudley would fit in.  Does Kim have time to support direct reports from Ralph, Adams, and Dudley, plus the Business side?   Why would she want that?  

I guess I don’t understand the organization.  

Execs have been known to take lesser positions to properly fit into a reporting structure.  Especially those in the ‘winter‘ of their careers.  I understand your sentiment and agree with most.   If Dudley can contribute and be the appropriate teacher for Adams with commensurate pay, they will find a way.  I have very little faith the Sabres organization will get there.  For no other reason than Kim and Terry. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

C’mon Punch...you know that it’s a flat organization where everyone reports to everyone.  That way when things go south, you can’t look at the org chart and try to figure out who is to blame. 

Remember that we the fans are stupid and don’t really understand the master plan that Kimmy and Terry have put in place. 

I was confused by their first organization Terry Pegula,  LaFontaine, Murray, Sawyer, Black, Batista, Patrick, and the rest.  Seemed bloated and destined for failure, which is what happened.  Now it’s flat and minimal but we don’t know how things are connected. 

More important than big or small is RAA.  Responsibility, Accountability and Authority - if the organization does not provide this level of clarity it won’t work for very long.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

What would you be expecting as Dudley's role (as opposed to title)? Would he fit into the new scouting structure? Maybe "player evaluation". 

(I know little of his previous role and expertise, so this is a general query about where people could see him fit).

On 7/2/2020 at 7:59 PM, msw2112 said:

A very well-known business book discusses the concept of "getting the right people on the bus."  I have mentioned this in another Kim-related post on the Bills site.  After struggling with the management and staff they inherited with the Bills, then striking out with Rex Ryan, the Pegulas finally got the right people on the bus with the Bills.  They can step back and let Beane and McDermott and the staffs do their jobs.

They have yet to get the right people on the bus with the Sabres.  Time will tell whether Krueger, Adams and the 2 newly promoted scouting guys are.  The most successful managers, once they have the right people on the bus, empower those people to do their jobs and get out of their way.  Let's hope that a) the right people are on the bus now; and b) Kim can empower them to do their jobs and get out of the way.  Getting the right people on the bus, empowering them, and knowing when to get out of their way are business skills that Kim may or may not have.  We'll find out soon enough.

I should add that this is a Rick Dudley post and my opinion is that he would be a good person to have on the bus....

She and he did get out of the way with the Bills, as you said, so this tells me they have that skill.  We just have to be patient until they get the right people with the Sabres.  I really do think that RaKru is one of the right guys.  I am hopeful for Adams.  I think that those two make a good combination.  Their skills mesh well.

EDIT TO ADD:

Dudley would be the glue to hold it all together for 2, or 3, years.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
well, you know ...
  • Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, steveoath said:

What would you be expecting as Dudley's role (as opposed to title)? Would he fit into the new scouting structure? Maybe "player evaluation". 

(I know little of his previous role and expertise, so this is a general query about where people could see him fit).

Executive VP Hockey Operations, or some such wording would describe the role.  That is what he would be doing, but they might have to call him Special Advisor, or Water Boy, or Erand Boy, or something like that, but his job would be to oversee all things hockey related.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Executive VP Hockey Operations, or some such wording would describe the role.  That is what he would be doing, but they might have to call him Special Advisor, or Water Boy, or Erand Boy, or something like that, but his job would be to oversee all things hockey related.

So then what does Adams do?  Adams is not a VP GM, he is a GM and he is responsible for hockey operations.  The Hockey Operations job is filled.  

If Dudley joins I think it is for Scouting and player acquisition, like with Carolina .  We already have a Director of scouting.  So if Dudley is hired, and his title is VP as you suggest, then he reports to the President not the GM?  

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

So then what does Adams do?  Adams is not a VP GM, he is a GM and he is responsible for hockey operations.  The Hockey Operations job is filled.  

If Dudley joins I think it is for Scouting and player acquisition, like with Carolina .  We already have a Director of scouting.  So if Dudley is hired, and his title is VP as you suggest, then he reports to the President not the GM?  

He doesn't have to have a defined role.  He can even be hired as a consultant to the GM.  Adams just needs a sounding board and a voice of experience when evaluating the info from people down the food chain.  Why are we getting hung up on his title?  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He doesn't have to have a defined role.  He can even be hired as a consultant to the GM.  Adams just needs a sounding board and a voice of experience when evaluating the info from people down the food chain.  Why are we getting hung up on his title?  

Exactly. Just say it’s Rick Dudley, president of Rick Dudley operations. 

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Hockey Businesses is under massive cost control and downsizing.  Dudley has been an Executive for a very long time.  Not a great environment for hiring consultants to help do jobs that are filled.   

Let’s see how it plays out.  

Edited by Pimlach

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The Hockey Businesses is under massive cost control and downsizing.  Dudley has been an Executive for a very long time.  Not a great environment for hiring consultants to help do jobs that are filled.   

Let’s see how it plays out.  

Why can’t he just be an Executive Vice President?  He would work in conjunction with Adams, to be his advisor/right hand man, but not report to him.  He would report to Pegulas.  It would be like having co-GMs, but Dudley wouldn’t need to deal with the BS of managing the entire hockey department.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Why can’t he just be an Executive Vice President?  He would work in conjunction with Adams, to be his advisor/right hand man, but not report to him.  He would report to Pegulas.  It would be like having co-GMs, but Dudley wouldn’t need to deal with the BS of managing the entire hockey department.

67524678.jpg

because of his age… Does he want a smaller role with less responsibility… Or the same amount of responsibility on a different team? Only he knows.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Adams already has a right hand man. His name is Kim. 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Why?   Well anything can happen.   Let’s see if she has room on the payroll for another VP.  

In Lance Lysowski's Article Dudley mentioned Waddell would give him the name of a player his was interested in acquiring.  His team would watch every shift and run the analytics behind the player and then he gives recommendations to Waddell. A similar role here as Director of Player Personnel would work.

Also Dudley is not a fan of flying per the same article so a GM Position is not in the cards most likely.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Why?   Well anything can happen.   Let’s see if she has room on the payroll for another VP.  

Well, if they are not willing to pay him what he thinks he deserves, then he probably isn’t going to Buffalo.  Regardless of the title, he would most likely be in an advisory role to Adams.   Perhaps similar to what he was doing in Car, as Brawndo just described.  The title could be Assistant GM, Director of Player Personel, Assistant Director of Scouting, etc.  I doubt it’s the title that matters.  It will probably be the duties and compensation that matter.

i thought they only brought in ex-Carolina guys for the Bills? The Sabres were ex-Pens.......

Sounds like Dudley was let go in Carolina as they didn't renew his contract. Would be nice to have some experience to help the new GM (with Carolina ties, but did they have a connection together in Carolina?) I don't know if the Sabres would be looking to do this unless he is willing to take a lesser role, and its something the GM has specifically asked for (which doesn't look good for him that he wants someone to help him be GM)

16 hours ago, nfreeman said:

His title in Carolina was senior VP of hockey operations. There’s no reason in the world he couldn’t take a similar role here, add a ton of value and not create any issues with reporting lines.

Food for thought: who is the president of hockey operations?

17 hours ago, Curt said:

Well, if they are not willing to pay him what he thinks he deserves, then he probably isn’t going to Buffalo.  Regardless of the title, he would most likely be in an advisory role to Adams.   Perhaps similar to what he was doing in Car, as Brawndo just described.  The title could be Assistant GM, Director of Player Personel, Assistant Director of Scouting, etc.  I doubt it’s the title that matters.  It will probably be the duties and compensation that matter.

Having his experienced voice in the room when considering trades and draft prospects would be an asset . Even if he isn't the decision maker his point of view would be invaluable in an offseason most of us expect/hope trades will be made to strengthen the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.