Rick Dudley Unlikely to Join Sabres

Brawndo

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Please hire him.  Please.  Lets give Adams someone to bounce ideas off of.  Please.

What do you hire him as? I don't think they'd make him hockey op's president.  If hired, it'd likely be adams saying he wants him - so the pegulas would want him to report to adams. 

Just now, Drag0nDan said:

What do you hire him as? I don't think they'd make him hockey op's president.  If hired, it'd likely be adams saying he wants him - so the pegulas would want him to report to adams. 

As an consultant or Executive VP of Hockey OPs.  Great title that has no meaning and he, TP/KP, KA, and RK can decide on his role together.  I'd suggest his role will be simply to help mentor KA in the job as GM.  Give him some education on the Cap and how to negotiate with other GMs so he isn't taken to the cleaners.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As an consultant or Executive VP of Hockey OPs.  Great title that has no meaning and he, TP/KP, KA, and RK can decide on his role together.  I'd suggest his role will be simply to help mentor KA in the job as GM.  Give him some education on the Cap and how to negotiate with other GMs so he isn't taken to the cleaners.  

Yeah.  Since the Pegula's don't really know him (well, im sure they've met, but who knows) - it'd have to be like under adams in name at least.

Just now, Brawndo said:

Maybe it’s going to happen? 

Yeah right, a plan? gtfo ?

• Haha (+1) 2

Get Dudley in here at any capacity.  If the Pegulas are building a truly "egoless" organization, then put your money where your fracking mouth is.  Dudley knows hockey inside and out and has the connections to help Adams day one.  Plus, he'd be done with his workout before the first Sabre came in.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This would make me pretty happy.  He has been a part of a well run FO in Car recently.  One that it seems Buffalo would like to emulate to an extent.

He has a ton of experience that could probably be a great resource to Adams.

If he wears out his welcome after 2-3 years and decides to move on, then so be it.  Adams will have had him at the time he needs him the most.

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Dudley would be a huge get but there is a reason he has been all over. He doesn’t play well with others, especially superiors.

If they sign him, it would be a huge shot at those who believe the owners meddle more then other owners.

It would be a huge get & would instantly increase my faith in Adams being able to learn this job on the fly.

And truthfully, if he wears out his welcome in 2-3 years, that's likely about when Krueger will be looking to return to upper management & the GM job will be fully Adams (hopefully in a good way).  Can't see a downside to hiring ol' Duds.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It would be a huge get & would instantly increase my faith in Adams being able to learn this job on the fly.

And truthfully, if he wears out his welcome in 2-3 years, that's likely about when Krueger will be looking to return to upper management & the GM job will be fully Adams (hopefully in a good way).  Can't see a downside to hiring ol' Duds.

For the record, I see no downside either. My implication was that his reputation is pretty public so TP and KP signing off on it would be a huge move.

Dudley lives in the WNY area, is 71 and would likely be his last job in the NHL. This would be great for the Sabres, he has 40+ years experience in the NHL, can't be anything but a win win for Kevyn Adams to have a guy with that kind of experience to help him.

Not to mention Dudley has had plenty of success in this role. Get it done TP and KP.

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, tom webster said:

For the record, I see no downside either. My implication was that his reputation is pretty public so TP and KP signing off on it would be a huge move.

Totally got that.  But again, the possibility of having an NHL insider that has been successful AND bleeds Sabres blue helping pull the strings should be worth the headaches that come with the hire (at least for a couple of seasons).

• Like (+1) 6

53 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Get Dudley in here at any capacity.  If the Pegulas are building a truly "egoless" organization, then put your money where your fracking mouth is.  Dudley knows hockey inside and out and has the connections to help Adams day one.  Plus, he'd be done with his workout before the first Sabre came in.  

Mandelbaum!

49 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

That they only come in on a Nor'Easter?

No. You only eat them in months that end in n.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Maybe it’s going to happen? 

Has anyone formulated an opinion on Chad D's sources/credibility?

49 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Dudley would be a huge get but there is a reason he has been all over. He doesn’t play well with others, especially superiors.

If they sign him, it would be a huge shot at those who believe the owners meddle more then other owners.

...unless of course they signed him and he then resigned 30 days later due to "philosophical differences" with TP...

It would be pretty hard to keep @PASabreFan at bay, among other deleterious consequences.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

...unless of course they signed him and he then resigned 30 days later due to "philosophical differences" with TP...

It would be pretty hard to keep @PASabreFan at bay, among other deleterious consequences.

This is hilarious.   I would go one step further.  If he is NOT hired, then I must assume that he was offered a position and after speaking with NHL executives around the league, his decision not to accept the position was solely based on current ownership.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.