Rick Dudley Unlikely to Join Sabres

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Has anyone formulated an opinion on Chad D's sources/credibility?

...unless of course they signed him and he then resigned 30 days later due to "philosophical differences" with TP...

It would be pretty hard to keep @PASabreFan at bay, among other deleterious consequences.

Had the Kahun Trade before anyone else in the Buffalo Media did. 

And has had some other tidbits out there as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My take:  He is an internet writer, but he is also just a guy on Twitter.  Sometimes he says things that are just his opinion/feelings, and that’s ok.  When he says he has heard things from sources, I believe him, and it seems quite reliable.

In this particular tweet, he doesn’t say anything about sources or being told anything.  It seems like its probably just his general feeling without any hard information behind it.

55 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Dudley lives in the WNY area, is 71 and would likely be his last job in the NHL. This would be great for the Sabres, he has 40+ years experience in the NHL, can't be anything but a win win for Kevyn Adams to have a guy with that kind of experience to help him.

Not to mention Dudley has had plenty of success in this role. Get it done TP and KP.

okay you got me...are we talking about the same guy? I find it hard to believe Dudley is 71 and has 40 years of NHL experience. Either way I definitely want the Rick Dudley I know to be hired too (along with the 71 year old)

Has he been THAT successful in the past 5-7 years? How do you gauge success/not success in the position he’s been in? Has the game passed him by to be effective with 2020+ NHL? Are fans of Dudley attracted to him because “um ... he was a Sabre in the 70’s!” Or because he has been very good in his role?

To a point it just seems like the interest is based on the name. If it was John Doe, who has no ties to Buffalo, would he be as sought after by fans?

Hmmm ...

47 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

...unless of course they signed him and he then resigned 30 days later due to "philosophical differences" with TP...

It would be pretty hard to keep @PASabreFan at bay, among other deleterious consequences.

He's pretty reliable. The stuff Brawndo said, he also had Botterill getting canned before the Covid stuff set it, and it still ended up happening. 

- - - 

I'd be EXTREMELY happy if they brought in Dudley. It reminds me of something Toronto would have done. 

9 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Has he been THAT successful in the past 5-7 years? How do you gauge success/not success in the position he’s been in? Has the game passed him by to be effective with 2020+ NHL? Are fans of Dudley attracted to him because “um ... he was a Sabre in the 70’s!” Or because he has been very good in his role?

To a point it just seems like the interest is based on the name. If it was John Doe, who has no ties to Buffalo, would he be as sought after by fans?

Hmmm ...

Well, what we know is:

-He has an incredible amount of experience in various NHL front office roles.  This alone is a valuable resource for Adams.
-He has been a part of the Carolina FO for the past couple years.  That group has been among the most progressive and analytics driven in the NHL, so I doubt they would have brought him in if he was ardently opposed to such things.

Personally, I would be pleased with any long time NHL FO guy brought in to ride shotgun with Adams, because I think it would benefit him.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Personally, I would be pleased with any long time NHL FO guy brought bin to ride shotgun with Adams, because I think it would benefit him.

I personally land squarely there. Name means nothing to me. I would just add, The long time front office guy can’t be “any guy”. He needs to be somewhat “recently” successful and effective. All the points you mentioned, are an attractive selling point. 

Something that stuck with me from the Dudley story in the Buffalo News: 

"I think (Dudley's) one of the great talent evaluators of our era," said Brian Burke, former NHL general manager. "I’ve drafted some really good players, but I usually have to see a player two, three or four times before I’m convinced. Rick Dudley can watch a kid for one period. ... I remember watching a summer camp with him in Toronto. It was (New York Islanders defenseman) Michael Dal Colle's draft year. We watched two periods and I said, 'Who do you like? He circled five names out of the 35 or 40 kids on the ice. All five were first rounders a year later and this was before the central scouting list for that draft year came out."

https://buffalonews.com/news/rick-dudleys-hybrid-scouting-model-in-carolina-could-be-option-for-sabres/article_8023a4cb-b40b-53ec-b835-ccf13cb0cd3a.html

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

"I think (Dudley's) one of the great talent evaluators of our era," said Brian Burke, former NHL general manager. "I’ve drafted some really good players, but I usually have to see a player two, three or four times before I’m convinced. Rick Dudley can watch a kid for one period. ... I remember watching a summer camp with him in Toronto. It was (New York Islanders defenseman) Michael Dal Colle's draft year. We watched two periods and I said, 'Who do you like? He circled five names out of the 35 or 40 kids on the ice. All five were first rounders a year later and this was before the central scouting list for that draft year came out."

https://buffalonews.com/news/rick-dudleys-hybrid-scouting-model-in-carolina-could-be-option-for-sabres/article_8023a4cb-b40b-53ec-b835-ccf13cb0cd3a.html

Leave it to Burke ....Dal Couple is not a Dman, he is a winger. Explains a lot about Burke's evaluating.

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This article was posted before, but it’s very interesting and I think everyone should give it a read.

It gives a general idea of how the Carolina scouting department is structured.  It seems to be the same direction that Adams wants to take the Sabres in.  So reading the article may give you a good idea of what Adams aims to create in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

This article was posted before, but it’s very interesting and I think everyone should give it a read.

It gives a general idea of how the Carolina scouting department is structured.  It seems to be the same direction that Adams wants to take the Sabres in.  So reading the article may give you a good idea of what Adams aims to create in Buffalo.

Great. Another Carolina pipeline! ?

Special Advisor to the General Manager.  Part time job, a good chunk of money, and he basically just mentors and advises Adams and helps him evaluate his planned acquisitions, trades, etc.  If he wants to make it more fuller time, great, but no pressure.  At 71 Duds should be enjoying himself and not carrying the weight of a franchise. 

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

Maybe a silly question, but how is he able to vacate his position when the season “isn’t over” yet?

Also, I worked with Chad momentarily at one of the sites...he actually gets credible inside info, unlike almost every blogger (and some on the books reporters). 

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Special Advisor to the General Manager.  Part time job, a good chunk of money, and he basically just mentors and advises Adams and helps him evaluate his planned acquisitions, trades, etc.  If he wants to make it more fuller time, great, but no pressure.  At 71 Spinner should be enjoying himself and not carrying the weight of a franchise. 

Spinner?  :huh: 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

That’s pretty much what I’d like to see and if Dudley. Can help set that up here then I hope we coerce him to rejoin the Sabres in yet another role lol

2 hours ago, Curt said:

My take:  He is an internet writer, but he is also just a guy on Twitter.  Sometimes he says things that are just his opinion/feelings, and that’s ok.  When he says he has heard things from sources, I believe him, and it seems quite reliable.

In this particular tweet, he doesn’t say anything about sources or being told anything.  It seems like its probably just his general feeling without any hard information behind it.

But Chad’s tweet included this:

Seems like the worst kept secret & something they’ve discussed internally.

Doesn’t that sound like sourced info?

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

But Chad’s tweet included this:

Doesn’t that sound like sourced info?

He didn’t say it was sourced.  And he wasn’t confident enough to say more than that he wouldn’t be surprised if it happened in the not too distance future.

Does that sound like sourced information?  Maybe he has heard something but it’s nothing definite.

I suppose it’s not entirely clear.  Ask him if you like.  I dunno.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.