A 4 Year Extension of the Current CBA will possibly go up for vote this week

Brawndo

5. In addition, the league and players continue to negotiate the “updated” CBA. It is expected that all players will vote on it – along with return-to-play protocols for training camp/games – sometime this week. Initially, I think both parties wanted finality by June 30, the theoretical end of the NHL calendar, but that’s unlikely. The vote itself will take 48-72 hours. Having the health protocols voted on at the same time as the CBA framework is not without debate. There are players and agents who feel these should be two separate votes. One player on a team that will be returning said he didn’t feel that those who are out of the playoffs should get a say on these protocols. “They get all of the financial benefits with none of the health risk,” was his point. However, some of those things are being “intertwined” with the CBA, which gives everyone a voice. According to the union’s constitution, a simple majority is enough to pass. 

6. Some of what’s in the new framework was contained in this article from Thursday, but here’s a fuller picture: four years added onto two remaining seasons; 20 per cent escrow limit for players in 2020-21; somewhere between 14-18 per cent in 2021-22, with a hope of getting into single digits after; salary cap of $81.5 million for the next two seasons, and $82.5 million in 2022-23; a 10 per cent player “deferral” next season (which includes July 1 signing bonuses due next week), where players will get that money back in the future when escrow is lower; and a mechanism to make sure teams get paid in full from the 50-50 split over the length of the deal. 

One thing I’ve struggled understanding is what this deferment means to a team’s cap situation. Some sources indicated they thought this would give teams extra room, but another countered by saying he understood it “counted in the year earned.” So, still waiting for clarity on this.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

One thing I’ve struggled understanding is what this deferment means to a team’s cap situation. Some sources indicated they thought this would give teams extra room, but another countered by saying he understood it “counted in the year earned.” So, still waiting for clarity on this.

Gotta believe this has no impact on the cap.  Escrow is only a mechanic on how players get paid and how much real salary they earn, not how much the cap salaries count against the cap.

Giving players the option to defer is smart- they could pay in a lesser percentage of real salary into escrow next year, and, depending on how it's worded, the payout might be better next year because hockey related revenue will damn sure be higher than this year.  It's good for owners/franchises as well, as it might delay a chunk of real payroll until next year with better team incomes.

Depending on specifics, could be a win-win.

On general labor peace: I think both the league and PA are aware of the consequences if a) the league revenue gets hurt by COVID long term, b) a lockout flubs the Seattle expansion and related revenue, and/or c) the lockout undercuts the TV contract negotiations and revenue.  It's good to see them work together, even if it's dolla dolla bill y'all.

30 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

What are the odds that the players vote in favour?

What happens if they do? Don't?

I find this extremely interesting. The owners have no problem shutting it all down for a season but can they handle two consecutive shutdowns? I doubt they play hardball. These young talented players with a full life ahead of them have the upper hand. I’d go all in and bargain for a better deal. Collectively of course. That’s the only fair way to bargain.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

6. Some of what’s in the new framework was contained in this article from Thursday, but here’s a fuller picture: four years added onto two remaining seasons; 20 per cent escrow limit for players in 2020-21; somewhere between 14-18 per cent in 2021-22, with a hope of getting into single digits after; salary cap of $81.5 million for the next two seasons, and $82.5 million in 2022-23; a 10 per cent player “deferral” next season (which includes July 1 signing bonuses due next week), where players will get that money back in the future when escrow is lower; and a mechanism to make sure teams get paid in full from the 50-50 split over the length of the deal. 

The bolded is where the devil will be in the details.  

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

I find this extremely interesting. The owners have no problem shutting it all down for a season but can they handle two consecutive shutdowns? I doubt they play hardball. These young talented players with a full life ahead of them have the upper hand. I’d go all in and bargain for a better deal. Collectively of course. That’s the only fair way to bargain.

Do you really think the optics of either side playing hardball in this covid world would sit well with fans who are already suffering in numerous ways much more than the millionaires are? I think a labor shutdown would be league suicide. It wouldn't end hockey forever or anything but it would get a total restructuring imo and everybody would lose. 

19 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Gotta believe this has no impact on the cap.  Escrow is only a mechanic on how players get paid and how much real salary they earn, not how much the cap salaries count against the cap.

Giving players the option to defer is smart- they could pay in a lesser percentage of real salary into escrow next year, and, depending on how it's worded, the payout might be better next year because hockey related revenue will damn sure be higher than this year.  It's good for owners/franchises as well, as it might delay a chunk of real payroll until next year with better team incomes.

Depending on specifics, could be a win-win.

On general labor peace: I think both the league and PA are aware of the consequences if a) the league revenue gets hurt by COVID long term, b) a lockout flubs the Seattle expansion and related revenue, and/or c) the lockout undercuts the TV contract negotiations and revenue.  It's good to see them work together, even if it's dolla dolla bill y'all.

I don’t necessarily think that the bolded is a safe assumption.  What if they play the whole season with no fans in attendance?  What if they end up needing to go with a shortened season next season as well?  This season they got 60-65 games of normal revenue.  That almost certainly won’t be the case next season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Xzy89c said:

It has been amazing to read about the players who did not understand how escrow worked.  The owners almost always have upper hand.  A playing career is very limited.  taking 2 years out of your career was a silly suggestion...

Players have no right to complain about escrow. It’s the mechanism they agreed to ensure revenue is split 50/50

Mentioned this in another thread, not sure where it should actually go, but IF there is no '20-'21 season, Seattle SHOULDN'T be able to claim guys like Mittelstadt & Dahlin that wouldn't have to be protected this off-season.

Sabres don't have ANY Seattle draft concerns in that scenario.

A small silver lining should they not figure out how to pull off next year.

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Mentioned this in another thread, not sure where it should actually go, but IF there is no '20-'21 season, Seattle SHOULDN'T be able to claim guys like Mittelstadt & Dahlin that wouldn't have to be protected this off-season.

Sabres don't have ANY Seattle draft concerns in that scenario.

A small silver lining should they not figure out how to pull off next year.

THIS gave me massive '05 Sabres vibes. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.