What should the Sabres do with the 8th pick?

PASabreFan

What should the Sabres do with the 8th pick?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sabres do with the 8th pick?

• Keep it
    • Trade it

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And before someone says, "well, they had that piece in ROR and where did they finish?", we've undergone a significant change since then and that's Eichel's development following closest to the "ceiling" potential trajectory. Playoffs with a 2C. Dahlin undergoes a similar relative trajectory to Eichel? We are in business. 

To achieve the bolded....I can't even field an opinion on that right now. So much will depend on that last bit. Cozens being good, for real, is a massive step. I like to remind myself it's, unfortunately, a strictly necessary one, if they don't go out and acquire someone he has to legitimately beat out for that role. I'm not comfortable with that type of gamble. Playing with dynamite either way, if they opt again for the long road. 

They DID have that piece & also had PTSD Lehner in net with Johnson as his backup.  THAT year, or Lehner's 1st was the worst goaltending they've ever had (when they've actually wanted good goaltending).  Combine that with Housley being in over his head is why that year was doomed.  It wasn't because O'Reilly didn't like Eichel or because he had pouty face.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They DID have that piece & also had PTSD Lehner in net with Johnson as his backup.  THAT year, or Lehner's 1st was the worst goaltending they've ever had (when they've actually wanted good goaltending).  Combine that with Housley being in over his head is why that year was doomed.  It wasn't because O'Reilly didn't like Eichel or because he had pouty face.

And they were pretty close to that same level in 16-17 - and Eichel missed 21 games. Murray's vision is more discernible. Botterill's is more like a Magic Eye where you pretend to see it just cause everyone around you says they can.

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

And they were pretty close to that same level in 16-17 - and Eichel missed 21 games. Murray's vision is more discernible. Botterill's is more like a Magic Eye where you pretend to see it just cause everyone around me said they did.

Murray absolutely was going for a California based team (LA, Anaheim, even to an extent SJ).  He knew what he wanted & went out and got those sort of players.  Never got there, but he had a destination in mind & a road map.

Pretty sure Botterill had a destination in mind as well, but the map wasn't particularly clear.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Murray absolutely was going for a California based team (LA, Anaheim, even to an extent SJ).  He knew what he wanted & went out and got those sort of players.  Never got there, but he had a destination in mind & a road map.

Pretty sure Botterill had a destination in mind as well, but the map wasn't particularly clear.

In so far as, "win the cup", sure, i agree. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

In so far as, "win the cup", sure, i agree. 

Well, he seemed to believe that if he took enough swings at bottom 6 forwards "with potential" EVENTUALLY SOMEBODY would become a top 6 guy.  And it did happen exactly once - Olofsson.  (Yes, he didn't draft him, but he was smart enough not to trade him.  Have to believe there was interest in him.  And Botterill gets credit for not screwing that up IMHO.)

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

How do you hold rights to a UFA?

He remains a Sabre until the end of the hockey year, which usually happens July 1, a week or so after the draft. Only the Sabres have the ability to talk to him about contract (or anything else) until then.

Teams frequently acquire the rights of pending free agents in order to have an exclusive window to talk to them before they become free agents.The Sabres did it unsuccessfully with Vesey when he came out of college, and successfully with Christian Ehrhoff when Pegula first bought the team.

When this year’s version of July 1 arrives is an open question.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Well, he seemed to believe that if he took enough swings at bottom 6 forwards "with potential" EVENTUALLY SOMEBODY would become a top 6 guy.  And it did happen exactly once - Olofsson.  (Yes, he didn't draft him, but he was smart enough not to trade him.  Have to believe there was interest in him.  And Botterill gets credit for not screwing that up IMHO.)

I do give him credit for the move, just not in the context of that strategy you mentioned, which was more about FA and trade acquisitions - Signing a draft pick with top 6 upside (not at time of selection, but by the time Botts was in charge) is rather separate from that, and, a good decision. 

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He remains a Sabre until the end of the hockey year, which usually happens July 1, a week or so after the draft. Only the Sabres have the ability to talk to him about contract (or anything else) until then.

Teams frequently acquire the rights of pending free agents in order to have an exclusive window to talk to them before they become free agents.The Sabres did it unsuccessfully with Vesey when he came out of college, and successfully with Christian Ehrhoff when Pegula first bought the team.

When this year’s version of July 1 arrives is an open question.

Is someone like Brett Murray still our "property" then, or did unsigned picks rights still expire June 1?

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I do give him credit for the move, just not in the context of that strategy you mentioned, which was more about FA and trade acquisitions - Signing a draft pick with top 6 upside (not at time of selection, but by the time Botts was in charge) is rather separate from that, and, a good decision. 

Is someone like Brett Murray still our "property" then, or did unsigned picks rights still expire June 1?

I’ve not read anything on this.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/29/2020 at 9:10 PM, nfreeman said:

I’ve been assuming Larsson would leave unless the Sabres made a much better offer than anyone else, and I still think that is basically how it will happen.

However: what if part of their better offer is that Larsson plays a bigger role, like maybe 3C on a line the Sabres expect to get some scoring from — like with Kahun and TT as his linemates?

And maybe the Sabres would do that if they were planning on putting Cozens on Eichel’s RW?

So maybe:

Skinner-Eichel-Cozens 

VO - new 2C that miracle man KA delivers - Reino

MoJo - Larsson - Kahun

TT - Asplund - KO

every top line shift would be must-see viewing.

As @Thorny points out, it all depends on getting a credible 2C   

Actually I agree with a lot of this. Some gentle changes but

VO--Jack--Reino

Skinner--Granlund--Kahun

MoJo--Larsson--Vesey

TT--Cozens--Okposo

Reasons, Vesey started to really come around on the defensive side so that gives the 3rd line some punch with MoJo and Larsson deserves a chance. It also allows TT and Cozens to play a role but depending on how they're holding up you can add or subtract minutes from that 4th line. Mitts gets some more time in AHL and Lazar is your 13th forward. Okposo should also be the vet that guides the 2 young guys. Keep the 8th pick and in my estimation Raymond or Holtz should be available at that pick. I'll be shocked if both of them are gone at 8. A big improvement from Dahlin taking a step up, Jokiharju taking a step up again and Jack truly becoming a MVP candidate and with any GK improvement, we should be tough to deal with. Getting Granlund to buy in or be bought in would be the key

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.