What should the Sabres do with the 8th pick?

PASabreFan

What should the Sabres do with the 8th pick?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sabres do with the 8th pick?

• Keep it
    • Trade it

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Obviously.  But without it, Henrique would be my expected average return.  #8 might get you someone on the level of Dylan Strome.  JMO.

I would consider Strome with my #8 pick. Strome would not only fill the 2C role he is young enough where there is still an upside to his game. In this type of deal the team still has the option to make another deal or two to reshuffle the roster. I also wouldn't be against dealing for a player like Henrique if he could be acquired for a very minimal price.

4 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

For that smorgasbord, the best I think you can get is an established low-tier 2C, such as Adam Henrique.  Probably 2021 1st unprotected, Johnson, and Mittlestadt would be close to my minimum acceptable return if I am Anaheim.  To shoot higher, #8 is an absolute necessity.

Adam Henrique is 30 years old and has never topped 50 points. Ever.

JT Miller cost a protected first with similar stats and he’s four years younger. An unprotected 1st for Henrique is embarrassingly bad for Buffalo, never mind adding Mittelstadt and Johnson.

Henrique is worth a 2nd and a 3rd in 2021

Also we need a new poll choice.  "It depends"

A trade of this pick could literally be a pick time decision.  I can see us trading down, I can see us making the pick and I can see us trading the pick before the draft to get a 2C.  Cases can easily be made for all three scenarios.  Right now, given the depth in this 1st rd, I'm inclined to trade down if certain players are still available to get more assets in the organization.  For example;  If Rossi and Perfetti are gone when we draft, I wouldn't mind trading down as long as Quinn, Holtz, Lundell and Jarvis are still around (which they all will be).  Quinn, Holtz and Jarvis are equal sniper prospects in my mind and I like Lundell as C depth.

5 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

For that smorgasbord, the best I think you can get is an established low-tier 2C, such as Adam Henrique.  Probably 2021 1st unprotected, Johnson, and Mittlestadt would be close to my minimum acceptable return if I am Anaheim.  To shoot higher, #8 is an absolute necessity.

3 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Obviously.  But without it, Henrique would be my expected average return.  #8 might get you someone on the level of Dylan Strome.  JMO.

I'm all for trading the first round pick, but it can't be one of those deals where Sabres get the short end. This draft is loaded, and the Sabres better be sure they are getting someone who will help them for a number of years to come if they are shipping away the 8th pick. Otherwise, tough luck, you gotta keep the pick.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:28 PM, OhMyDahlin said:

The sins of GMTM? You realize Botterill traded more draft picks away than Murray did, right?

Not once did Botterill make the full 7 selections...and obviously we never had more than 7 selections in any draft Botterill conducted.

Tim Murray > Jason Botterill by a long shot.

One brought us Ryan O'Reilly and Evander Kane...the other brought us Michal Frolik and Wayne Simmonds.

Thankfully there's a simple calculation that illustrates this fact - 

Sabres point pace in the two years under Murray they weren't actively trying to lose - 80. 

Sabres point pace in Botterill's tenure - 72. 

On 6/28/2020 at 12:30 PM, PASabreFan said:

It would be fascinating to know how the responses break down by age. Some of us are getting nervous about never seeing a Cup in our lives. The future is now! (Unless you're 25.)

What about 33?

Anyways, my vote was obvious. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If this pick is being traded, Cirelli. I would trade it straight up for Cirelli or even toss in a sweetner of some random Euro defender not named Laaksonen. 

Cirelli is an RFA, correct?  How much do we need to offer him to have him not demand a trade?

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If this pick is being traded, Cirelli. I would trade it straight up for Cirelli or even toss in a sweetner of some random Euro defender not named Laaksonen. 

There's no way you, LGR, balk at that deal if they ask for Laaksonen haha

Edited by Thorny

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Cirelli is rated very highly in certain quarters, including by me, but I wonder where NHL GMs rate him.

He’s obviously very good defensively, but you are also looking at a guy who has never scored 20 goals or 50 points, on a stacked team.

The Canes acquired Jordan Staal for pick 8, Brian Doumoulin and Brandon Sutter. Staal had a better pedigree, and was bigger and a better goal scorer, but his point totals and his role were very similar to Cirelli.

Is a Sabres package of pick 8, Samuelsson/Johnson and Larsson for Cirelli in the ballpark? Yes, Larsson is UFA, but I doubt the Lightning would have much trouble re-signing him cheaply.

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Cirelli is rated very highly in certain quarters, including by me, but I wonder where NHL GMs rate him.

He’s obviously very good defensively, but you are also looking at a guy who has never scored 20 goals or 50 points, on a stacked team.

The Canes acquired Jordan Staal for pick 8, Brian Doumoulin and Brandon Sutter. Staal had a better pedigree, but his numbers and his role were very similar to Cirelli.

Is a Sabres package of pick 8, Samuelsson/Johnson and Larsson for Cirelli in the ballpark.

Larsson is a UFA, he is not an asset that we have to trade.

2 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Larsson is a UFA, he is not an asset that we have to trade.

We’d be trading his rights. As I added in my edit above, I doubt the Lightning would have much trouble signing him.

They’d want someone on a cheap deal who can handle tough defensive minutes. Who would you substitute? And is that ballpark value?

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The Canes acquired Jordan Staal for pick 8, Brian Doumoulin and Brandon Sutter. Staal had a better pedigree, and was bigger and a better goal scorer, but his point totals and his role were very similar to Cirelli.

Is a Sabres package of pick 8, Samuelsson/Johnson and Larsson for Cirelli in the ballpark? Yes, Larsson is UFA, but I doubt the Lightning would have much trouble re-signing him cheaply.

I'm assuming the are finding a way to keep Larsson considering our weak C depth, and my first reaction reading the proposal was that it would sting to lose him, so therefore my gut is this deal would be in the ballpark. 

At least I hope so, as I'd definitely take it. 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

We’d be trading his rights. As I added in my edit above, I doubt the Lightning would have much trouble signing him.

They’d want someone on a cheap deal who can handle tough defensive minutes. Who would you substitute? And is that ballpark value?

How do you hold rights to a UFA?

I’ve been assuming Larsson would leave unless the Sabres made a much better offer than anyone else, and I still think that is basically how it will happen.

However: what if part of their better offer is that Larsson plays a bigger role, like maybe 3C on a line the Sabres expect to get some scoring from — like with Kahun and TT as his linemates?

And maybe the Sabres would do that if they were planning on putting Cozens on Eichel’s RW?

So maybe:

Skinner-Eichel-Cozens 

VO - new 2C that miracle man KA delivers - Reino

MoJo - Larsson - Kahun

TT - Asplund - KO

every top line shift would be must-see viewing.

As @Thorny points out, it all depends on getting a credible 2C   

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I’ve been assuming Larsson would leave unless the Sabres made a much better offer than anyone else, and I still think that is basically how it will happen.

However: what if part of their better offer is that Larsson plays a bigger role, like maybe 3C on a line the Sabres expect to get some scoring from — like with Kahun and TT as his linemates?

And maybe the Sabres would do that if they were planning on putting Cozens on Eichel’s RW?

So maybe:

Skinner-Eichel-Cozens 

VO - new 2C that miracle man KA delivers - Reino

MoJo - Larsson - Kahun

TT - Asplund - KO

every top line shift would be must-see viewing.

As @Thorny points out, it all depends on getting a credible 2C   

Where does Zemgus go?

And TT is playing D now?

9 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Where does Zemgus go?

And TT is playing D now?

I think Zemgus is leaving in FA (and probably Larsson too.)

I think TT won’t start the year in Buffalo (although his waiver status is still an open question here), but I think he will push his way into the lineup.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think TT won’t start the year in Buffalo (although his waiver status is still an open question here), but I think he will push his way into the lineup.

So then why do your proposed lines have Larry and TT on them?

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I thought it was settled he was NOT waiver exempt. 

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So many lines would connect and fall into place if we had that one, central Free Space filled. 

Which is why some of us have been saying for more than a year that if they fix that 1 hole they're in the mix and if they can also avoid avoid getting mediocre AHL goaltending for a 1/4+ of a season, they are in the playoffs.  2 more minor pieces beyond that & they're dark horse contenders.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Which is why some of us have been saying for more than a year that if they fix that 1 hole they're in the mix and if they can also avoid avoid getting mediocre AHL goaltending for a 1/4+ of a season, they are in the playoffs.  2 more minor pieces beyond that & they're dark horse contenders.

And before someone says, "well, they had that piece in ROR and where did they finish?", we've undergone a significant change since then and that's Eichel's development following closest to the "ceiling" potential trajectory. Playoffs with a 2C. Dahlin undergoes a similar relative trajectory to Eichel? We are in business. 

To achieve the bolded....I can't even field an opinion on that right now. So much will depend on that last bit. Cozens being good, for real, is a massive step. I like to remind myself it's, unfortunately, a strictly necessary one, if they don't go out and acquire someone he has to legitimately beat out for that role. I'm not comfortable with that type of gamble. Playing with dynamite either way, if they opt again for the long road. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.