What should the Sabres do with the 8th pick?

PASabreFan

What should the Sabres do with the 8th pick?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sabres do with the 8th pick?

• Keep it
    • Trade it

40 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The only way that top 6 would be acceptable is if that downsize you speak of causes the rest of the league to regress to the point where it's actually representative of an average team's top 6. The cap is staying the same as last year. Maybe teams don't get better, but I don't see them coming so far back to the pack that a bad team doing nothing is all of a sudden playoff caliber. 

Detroit bad no, Buffalo bad yes with some good young guys.   Starting the hockey season next year will be rough already, never minding finishing this one.   NBA already has like 15 confirmed covid cases, did they start testing NHL players yet ? 

I said it before, cancelling this season would have been the only logical choice, this effort they make is just to make sure they don't lose out on TV deals.

Also I believe in jack a lot, this kid can carry a team to anything.

22 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I would keep the 8th overall pick. I truly believe an organization can never have enough top young talent.

The sins of GMTM have really hurt. It's time to restock.

The #8 overall this year is actually better then most seasons; the Top 10 of this draft is superb. I would deal Risto to get that 2nd center.

The sins of GMTM? You realize Botterill traded more draft picks away than Murray did, right?

Not once did Botterill make the full 7 selections...and obviously we never had more than 7 selections in any draft Botterill conducted.

Tim Murray > Jason Botterill by a long shot.

One brought us Ryan O'Reilly and Evander Kane...the other brought us Michal Frolik and Wayne Simmonds.

Edited by OhMyDahlin
  • Like (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It would be fascinating to know how the responses break down by age. Some of us are getting nervous about never seeing a Cup in our lives. The future is now! (Unless you're 25.)

I just voted now.  Did not realize it was a poll ... LOL!!  That gives you a good idea of my age group.  I took no hesitation in voting to trade the damn pick.  Yup.  I'm old(er).  My other wife says that I look handsome and young.  Not exactly sure where she is going with that yet, but I'll let you know if I ever figure it out.

I am with @Eleven too on this.  Is there a trade freeze now, or can things happen?

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Quick fixes have worked so well in the past, let's keep trading away draft picks for overrated players.

This team has no offensive prospects to speak of, outside of Dylan Cozens.

Well, the best way to fix this is not to trade it for an overrated player. The trade is there or it is not, but we explore such a trade. 

It almost seems like the best way to build depth throughout the organization is to plug up the holes in the parent organization. Every time we have a decent prospect, they are sucked up by the Sabres, some prematurely. Mittelstadt and Thompson should never had been on the Sabres roster. I’m not going to defend GMTM, but this was probably the point of having ROR and Kane on our team. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Well, the best way to fix this is not to trade it for an overrated player. The trade is there or it is not, but we explore such a trade. 

It almost seems like the best way to build depth throughout the organization is to plug up the holes in the parent organization. Every time we have a decent prospect, they are sucked up by the Sabres, some prematurely. Mittelstadt and Thompson should never had been on the Sabres roster. I’m not going to defend GMTM, but this was probably the point of having ROR and Kane on our team. 

It’s easier to disregard the idea if you assume failure in the player acquired.  There is a whole continuum of results between ROR and Frolik.

I think this thread is a bunch of nothing, because it’s impossible to say trade it or don’t trade it without knowing the specific trade.  It’s a pointless exercise.  Everyone’s answer to this question is that they would trade it “in the right deal”.

Personally, I lean towards Don’t Trade It, but there are a lot of scenarios where I would trade it.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m somewhat surprised by the numbers that want to trade the pick. I guess everyone is hoping we can trade this pick for the messiah to fix our mess. We need to build thru the draft especially with a highly rated forward that will be available. I would use other assets to improve our roster. 

14 minutes ago, freester said:

I’m somewhat surprised by the numbers that want to trade the pick. I guess everyone is hoping we can trade this pick for the messiah to fix our mess. We need to build thru the draft especially with a highly rated forward that will be available. I would use other assets to improve our roster. 

We don’t need a messiah.  We need a 2c.  If 8OA can be used to get us a 2C then the asset was used wisely.

Frankly, the most we can realistically expect from an 8OA is that it eventually develops into something worth the equivalent of a good 2C.  If we can get that now we win based on time value of an asset.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, freester said:

What assets? Therein lies the problem...

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

The Bruins did a terrific job restocking their franchise thought the draft between 2014-16, headlined by McAvoy and Pastrnak. The Leafs added their three young studs.

The rest of the division did very little other than Ekblad and Cirelli.

If you want to play what if, think if the Sabres had taken McAvoy or Sergachev in 2016, and Botterill never made the O'Reilly trade. Everything else stayed the same.

Olofsson Eichel Reinhart

Skinner O'Reilly Simmonds

Johansson Cozens Kahun

Girgensons Larsson Okposo

Dahlin McAvoy

Pilut Ristolainen

McCabe Montour

Ulmark

If the Sabres have McAvoy/Sergachev/Chychrun & O'Reilly, there's no way they land Cozens.  Would rather have M/S/C & ROR.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, freester said:

2021 1st 

Montour

Risto

Mitts

Ryan Johnson 

Tage Thompson 

I can't think of any combination of those things that can be used to get a legit 2C.  We would need to find the next Mike Peca or Stu Barnes who is undervalued by his organisation and has the drive to prove it.

15 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I can't think of any combination of those things that can be used to get a legit 2C.  We would need to find the next Mike Peca or Stu Barnes who is undervalued by his organisation and has the drive to prove it.

What 2C are you looking at as being potentially available for trade?

1 minute ago, freester said:

What 2C are you looking at as being potentially available for trade?

For that smorgasbord, the best I think you can get is an established low-tier 2C, such as Adam Henrique.  Probably 2021 1st unprotected, Johnson, and Mittlestadt would be close to my minimum acceptable return if I am Anaheim.  To shoot higher, #8 is an absolute necessity.

24 minutes ago, Leaf Blower said:

Hardly a haul, as I see it.

I think you’re selling that unprotected 2021 1st short. That could easily be a top 3 pick ?

37 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

For that smorgasbord, the best I think you can get is an established low-tier 2C, such as Adam Henrique.  Probably 2021 1st unprotected, Johnson, and Mittlestadt would be close to my minimum acceptable return if I am Anaheim.  To shoot higher, #8 is an absolute necessity.

Other than Henrique what other 2C are available besides Cirelli?  Strome?

Edited by freester

51 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I'm not giving up our #8 pick in a trade for a low-tier veteran 30 yr. old 2C. I would even be uncomfortable giving up Mittelstadt for this solid veteran center. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, freester said:

I think you’re selling that unprotected 2021 1st short. That could easily be a top 3 pick ?

Other than Henrique what other 2C are available besides Cirelli?  Strome?

What about Stastny from Vegas?   He is in the final year of his contract (2020/21), Glass is ready to play full time minutes and they have less than $6m and need to sign one D, 2 Fowards and a backup  goalie. The Golden Knights  are not subject to the Seattle expansion draft.  This means they can accumulate younger talent.  My fear for Mitts value in a trade is what team is going to have him in their top 7 protected?  Christ, he is barely in our top 7 and we are horrible.  Meaning his trade value this year is extremely low to almost everyone, except Vegas. I guess if your thought is he could play 3rd or 4th line minutes at RW, make under $1m and hope he progresses and forces a GM to make a decision maybe.   What is his inherent value (even if waiver eligible) when he has to be exposed? 

16 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

What about Stastny from Vegas?   He is in the final year of his contract (2020/21), Glass is ready to play full time minutes and they have less than $6m and need to sign one D, 2 Fowards and a backup  goalie. The Golden Knights  are not subject to the Seattle expansion draft.  This means they can accumulate younger talent.  My fear for Mitts value in a trade is what team is going to have him in their top 7 protected?  Christ, he is barely in our top 7 and we are horrible.  Meaning his trade value this year is extremely low to almost everyone, except Vegas. I guess if your thought is he could play 3rd or 4th line minutes at RW, make under $1m and hope he progresses and forces a GM to make a decision maybe.   What is his inherent value (even if waiver eligible) when he has to be exposed? 

I’m not sure how much Stasny has left in the tank. I would rather hold onto Mitts and hope he can develop into a solid player. His 7 million cap hit is high for 1 year as well. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'm not giving up our #8 pick in a trade for a low-tier veteran 30 yr. old 2C. I would even be uncomfortable giving up Mittelstadt for this solid veteran center. 

Obviously.  But without it, Henrique would be my expected average return.  #8 might get you someone on the level of Dylan Strome.  JMO.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.