Sabres Picking 8th

GASabresIUFAN

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sign it and work they crazy to dump 2 of Killorn, Johnson, Palat and Gourde.  They are allowed to be over the cap during the off-season. I think they only have to get cap compliant by opening day. 

13 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Taking Johnson off their hands may cost next to nothing. They clear cap space for Cirelli.

But what if none of Johnson, Palat and Gourde don’t want to go? Tampa can’t make them accept a trade.

And look at the math I spelled out above. Two of Tampa’s 2nd tier guys won’t be enough.$

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not fully versed on the ramifications of an offer sheet. My assumption is that Cirelli would prefer to stay with Tampa over accepting an offer sheet from Buffalo. Cirelli knows what his market value is. If Tampa can close to matching that price why would he prefer Buffalo or any other locations? Tampa is without a doubt a good situation for him. The Lightning can offer him less and from a money standpoint yet it still could be a comparable/close $$$ contract because of the favorable tax situation in Florida. As previously noted he would be able to continue playing for a long term cup contending team. 

There is a major incentive for Tampa to work out a contract deal with Cirelli. Why wouldn't they go all out for a superior young talent? I just think too many people are fixating on a player that won't be attainable for us.  

Focus beyond the Sabres. I am asking what Tampa would have to do if Cirelli or Sergachev signs a big-dollars with anyone.

most of us on here think he’s worth $7 million per. If he decides that’s what wants, Tampa will not be able to keep him and Sergachev, unless they can convince Killorn and Palat and Johnson to accept trades.

Edited by dudacek

Just listened to Friedman’s post lottery podcast.  Sam Cosentino was on to talk about the prospects and where they might go.

1) Lafreniere - whoever ends up there

2) LA- Stutzle - he seemed pretty sure that this would happen

3) Ott- Byfield

4) Det- Perfetti - he was very confident that Detroit would take Perfetti

5) Ott- he wasn’t really sure, but speculated that it might be a D

He didn’t have any real info on anything after that, just guesses really, but projected Ana-Sanderson, NJ-Rossi, Buff-Raymond.

I remain hopeful that Rossi isn’t closely linked to any team ahead of Buffalo.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Just listened to Friedman’s post lottery podcast.  Sam Cosentino was on to talk about the prospects and where they might go.

3) Ott- Byfield

He didn’t have any real info on anything after that, just guesses really, but projected Ana-Sanderson, NJ-Rossi, Buff-Raymond.

He is being linked to Ottawa (he plays there) and New Jersey (a couple of his teammates are Devils prospects) 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But what if none of Johnson, Palat and Gourde don’t want to go? Tampa can’t make them accept a trade.

And look at the math I spelled out above. Two of Tampa’s 2nd tier guys won’t be enough.$

Focus beyond the Sabres. I am asking what Tampa would have to do if Cirelli or Sergachev signs a big-dollars with anyone.

most of us on here think he’s worth $7 million per. If he decides that’s what wants, Tampa will not be able to keep him and Sergachev, unless they can convince Killorn and Palat and Johnson to accept trades.

For just a thought exercise...... Tampa would make an interesting trade partner for moving Jack if it weren’t for all those NMCs.   We have Jack, who would command multiple high end players coming back, and cap space.  Tampa has serious cap issues and a surplus of high end talent and they cannot afford to keep all of them.  It would be a 3-4 to 1 deal and might actually result in a win-win.

No I’m not going to propose anything.  I have no emotional investment in the idea. Just posting a thought bubble that if Jack were to ever move, this is how it might happen and Buffalo not lose out on the deal.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I have clearly stated that one way  or the other Tampa will lose players because of the cap math. Which ones I can't say?  And as you have acknowledged Tampa is one of the better managed organizations so it won't be surprising that they will end up making the best of a very fiscally challenging situation. Having a plethora of talent can in of itself be challenging but it certainly is better than having a dearth of talent. 

He is being linked to Ottawa (he plays there) and New Jersey (a couple of his teammates are Devils prospects) 

Those are possible reasons that Rossi may go there, but just because he plays in Ottawa or on a team with some NJ prospects doesn’t necessarily mean that those GMs like him above other prospects.

The top 4 picks are the only ones that seem kind of set right now.

OK, but again, if someone hits Cirelli (or Sergachev) with an offer sheet, what are they going to do?

Even if they convince a Johnson or Palat to waive their NTC, that still might not be enough to get under the cap. And if they somehow do, they will be significantly weakened in the process.

To my mind, this is an enormous opportunity to either make yourself better or the best team in the division worse, and if teams with cap space like Montreal and Detroit aren’t taking advantage of it, they aren’t trying to be competitive.

At least year's draft Yzerman was interviewed and was asked what was his strategy to bring back the downtrodden Red Wings back to prominence. He succinctly said: draft and develop. He then walked away. Detroit is in a major rebuilding project where it might not make sense at their stage of rebuilding to add high cost premium players. It would make more sense in another year or team when the team is more fully developed. That isn't necessarily the case for Montreal. 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

3) Ott- Byfield

I don't see NJ taking another center especially another smaller center. They really need defense and wing. 

I think defense is likely for Anaheim but they could go wing too. 

Lefrienere 

Stutzle

Byfield

Perfetti

Drysdale

Holtz

Sanderson

Buffalo?

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't see NJ taking another center especially another smaller center. They really need defense and wing. 

I think defense is likely for Anaheim but they could go wing too. 

Lefrienere 

Stutzle

Byfield

Perfetti

Drysdale

Holtz

Sanderson

Buffalo?

Maybe, but I wouldn’t think that NJ would be making that hard distinction regarding C’s.  Honestly, I think Hughes long term future may be at W anyway, but I don’t know how NJ management feels about that.

I hope you are right though!  I know who I would fill in that (Buffalo?) with!

9 hours ago, Curt said:

3) Ott- Byfield

Interesting.

If this plays out like this, and we give Drysdale to Ottawa, then Sanderson and Rossi remaining two, that means Sabres will get their pick of Raymond or Holtz. Pretty good spot. Not only from a picking standpoint, but the value of the pick.

16 minutes ago, Reino23 said:

Interesting.

If this plays out like this, and we give Drysdale to Ottawa, then Sanderson and Rossi remaining two, that means Sabres will get their pick of Raymond or Holtz. Pretty good spot. Not only from a picking standpoint, but the value of the pick.

Personally, for me it would probably be a decision between Raymond and Lundell, and maybe a couple others before Holtz.  There would still be good prospects available for sure, but not on the level of Rossi.

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Personally, for me it would probably be a decision between Raymond and Lundell, and maybe a couple others before Holtz.  There would still be good prospects available for sure, but not on the level of Rossi.

I'm personally not too low Holtz, i like him a lot as well, and i don't think he's a Olofsson clone, but for me it's between Raymond, Lundell or Jarvis if it plays out the way you posted it.

I just saw this thread titled and thought: "Oh my God.  That's right!  The draft lottery was last Friday night."

LOL.  I've been enjoying the vacation from sports this year.  

8th huh?  Well that was predictable I guess.

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I just saw this thread titled and thought: "Oh my God.  That's right!  The draft lottery was last Friday night."

LOL.  I've been enjoying the vacation from sports this year.  

8th huh?  Well that was predictable I guess.

Only the NHL would create a system where the most likely outcome for a team finishing 7th was the 8th pick.

8.) Buffalo Sabres  Marco Rossi, Centre/Left Wing, Ottawa 67’s, OHL

Rossi scored 39 goals and 81 assists for 120 points in just 56 games this year. He was a dynamic offensive force for the Ottawa 67s, helping them to be one of the best teams in the OHL. When the OHL season was stopped due to Covid-19, he had a nine-point lead for the league scoring title. Rossi has a quick wrist shot with an excellent release. When defenders back off, he can use them as a screen and fire a shot on net. He also has an excellent one-timer. Rossi is talented as both a playmaker and a shooter. He has the passing skills to set up his linemates and make them better. His ability to extend plays through his work down low really lets him take advantage of these playmaking abilities.  Despite his lack of size, he plays the game in the dirty areas of the ice.

The Sabres have their franchise centre in Jack Eichel. It was hoped that Casey Mittelstadt would become the number two centre. That hasn’t happened yet, but it’s still too early to write him off. The Sabres drafted Dylan Cozens at 7th overall a year ago, and he might become that centre behind Eichel. Rossi becomes another option to fill that role. As noted earlier, a team can not have too many good centres. Rossi is the best player on the board at this point. If all three develop, they can always move one of the players to the wing or trade them for other assets. The Sabres need scoring depth and Rossi will help bring that eventually. He’s also good in his own end.

• Like (+1) 1

Rossi is my hope, but I am getting good vibes on Lundell. I think he would fit perfectly into the roster with Jack and Dylan. Some great info on Lundell via Devils SBNation page (blame google).

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2020/4/3/21199181/anton-lundell-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-potentially-elite-all-around-center-out-of-liiga-hifk

Highlights

Kournianos likes Lundell’s defensive game as many others do, but he’s also pretty high on his offensive game, citing his strength and decisiveness which allows him to back off defenders and push through contact, even in a league where he is one of the youngest players. 

Will scouch

Anton Lundell might not have a massive ceiling, but he could be a fantastic two-way centre who may not get fans out of their seats often, but he could be a person hockey nerds and coaches alike love. He pushes possession extremely well and should be a valuable NHLer for years, if not on boxes of cereal across the league.

Over at The Hockey Writers, Chris Faria pushes back on some of the assessments that question the ceiling for Lundell. This profile emphasizes his elite hockey sense and smarts as a player that puts him in the right spots on the ice to consistently make plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree that TB will do everything possible to keep him and Sergachev and I believe they’ll get it done.  However they are going to have to trade at least two guys on NTCs to get it done.  That is not going to be easy. They are going to have to find teams willing to take on the contracts and hope those players are willing to move from low tax and nice weather Florida while playing for a Cup contender to another team.  Hard sell.

Also if we acquire Cirelli he has almost zero leverage as an RFA except holding out.

I would love to see the Sabres acquire Johnson from TB if he can be convinced to come here.  Unlikely, but more likely then TB trading us a 22 year old star.

Given the pandemic and the possibility of a disrupted season, it’s going to be very hard for Tampa to convince one of their vets to be traded. Would you want to be transferred and move your family right now? I understand this may be palatable for a younger player who is going to receive a significant raise (via offer sheet), but to earn the same amount? These players owe Tampa nothing and likely won’t waive their NTC. And if they do, their list will be very restricted (likely to another winning team, who likely also has cap problems) making a trade very difficult. 

Lundell is next on the list, thanks for the links. 

55 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Rossi is my hope, but I am getting good vibes on Lundell. I think he would fit perfectly into the roster with Jack and Dylan. Some great info on Lundell via Devils SBNation page (blame google).

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2020/4/3/21199181/anton-lundell-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-potentially-elite-all-around-center-out-of-liiga-hifk

Highlights

Kournianos likes Lundell’s defensive game as many others do, but he’s also pretty high on his offensive game, citing his strength and decisiveness which allows him to back off defenders and push through contact, even in a league where he is one of the youngest players. 

Will scouch

Anton Lundell might not have a massive ceiling, but he could be a fantastic two-way centre who may not get fans out of their seats often, but he could be a person hockey nerds and coaches alike love. He pushes possession extremely well and should be a valuable NHLer for years, if not on boxes of cereal across the league.

Over at The Hockey Writers, Chris Faria pushes back on some of the assessments that question the ceiling for Lundell. This profile emphasizes his elite hockey sense and smarts as a player that puts him in the right spots on the ice to consistently make plays. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.