Sabres Picking 8th

GASabresIUFAN

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

My prediction is that this pick gets dealt in a package deal that will bring in a genuine 2C or even second line winger who can score goals. The imperative to make this a competitive/playoff team next season is to forestall Jack from getting so frustrated that he publicly declares that he wants out. The fanbase understandably is restless. They deserve some bold moves to inject some hope to an exasperated and fatigued fanbase. 

This is what I’m hoping for as well. But does Adams have the balls to do it? Botterill sure didn’t...

Here is my layout of how the draft will probably unfold in front of Buffalo.

1-4:  Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale

They may not go in this order, but these are the 4 guys who it seems are locks to be top 7 picks.

5-7:  It’s going to really matter for Buffalo what happens in these other 3 top 7 picks.  There is a lot of variation that could happen here.  

I think the most likely 3 are Rossi, Raymond, and Perfetti.  However, I think Sanderson and Holtz, and less likely but maybe even Askarov, Lundell, and Quinn could go in this range too.

I just hope that somehow, Rossi falls to 8.  Come on NHL GMs!  He’s ONLY 5’9”!

If Rossi is gone, I would want one of Perfetti, Raymond, Sanderson, Lundell, Jarvis, Quinn.  I haven’t decided yet.

I would definitely NOT want to draft Holtz or Askarov.

Edited by Curt

9 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

This team is three years away from making the playoffs so why bother trading the future when they are going to suck for the next couple anyway

^ This is why we lose and why we keep losing.  

Add a 2C, a top 6 winger, a goalie to replace Hutton, and we are in the race right now.  

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Add a 2C, a top 6 winger, a goalie to replace Hutton, and we are in the race right now.  

And the first one is faaaaaaaar more important that the other two combined.  A true 2C helps the wingers on that line, including likely Skinner.  Hutton will have his eye problem under control, so that will improve his play if he's still here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

This is what I’m hoping for as well. But does Adams have the balls to do it? Botterill sure didn’t...

The issue isn't having elephant sized cajones or having shriveled up miniscule cajones. It's about trading assets to get other asset/s in order to better balance the roster. It was reported that last year that Botterill tried to trade Risto. He couldn't get what he considered a fair value return. So he didn't make a deal. That was the right thing to do especially after being fleeced in the ROR boondoggle. If a fair-value return can be made then it should be made. If it can't then stay the course and upgrade the roster in other areas. Yes be bold but also be smart. 

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Rossi and Perfetti will both be gone. Jarvis? I don't see him much above 20th.

I'm predicting it's Raymond. I want it to be Sanderson. 

While I think the pick will be Holtz based on the rankings, Sanderson may be the guy if available.  The newly hired Crowe knows him well from his time at the USNTDP and this would be a very safe pick for our inexperienced GM and his inexperienced staff.

If TB offers us Cirelli for Risto and this pick do you make the deal?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While I think the pick will be Holtz based on the rankings, Sanderson may be the guy if available.  The newly hired Crowe knows him well from his time at the USNTDP and this would be a very safe pick for our inexperienced GM and his inexperienced staff.

Sabres fans will freak out if they draft a dman.  Everyone sees a need a forward and will assume if we draft one at 8, he will be ready for NHL duty immediately. Even though the last 3 players they drafted at that spot needed significant time in the A.  

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sabres fans will freak out if they draft a dman.  Everyone sees a need a forward and will assume if we draft one at 8, he will be ready for NHL duty immediately. Even though the last 3 players they drafted at that spot needed significant time in the A.  

I’m not completely opposed to drafting a D (Drysdale/Sanderson) at 8, but only if there are other major moves made to improve the outlook at the F position.

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s a good trade proposal.  I’m not sure what I would do. We have to trade either Risto or Montour since we will lose one in the expansion draft. I would rather trade next years first and Montour for Cirelli but doubt Tampa agrees. 

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Before trading for Cirelli who is going to be a RFA next season you would have to know whether he would sign a contract with us. It would make no sense to sign this exceptional player by giving up valuable assets only to see him leave in a couple of years. Assuming that he would sign I would be willing to give up Risto, Mitts and our first pick. If our GM could get Tampa's lower first round pick in the deal that would be terrific, however if not I would still make the deal.    

Most everyone agrees that adding a 2C is an imperative. But if the organization can't swing a deal to fill this void there should still be an awareness that what would make even more of a difference than upgrading the 2C is getting better play from our current goaltenders and better PK play. With improvement in those two areas this team will be given a major boost. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Without hesitation

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Before trading for Cirelli who is going to be a RFA next season you would have to know whether he would sign a contract with us. It would make no sense to sign this exceptional player by giving up valuable assets only to see him leave in a couple of years. Assuming that he would sign I would be willing to give up Risto, Mitts and our first pick. If our GM could get Tampa's lower first round pick in the deal that would be terrific, however if not I would still make the deal.    

Most everyone agrees that adding a 2C is an imperative. But if the organization can't swing a deal to fill this void there should still be an awareness that what would make even more of a difference than upgrading the 2C is getting better play from our current goaltenders and better PK play. With improvement in those two areas this team will be given a major boost. 

Agree that Cirelli would have to agree to an extension.  I would not trade Risto, Mitts, and the #8 pick in round 1 for Cirelli and Tampa’s #1.  Our pick at 8 is going to be a good player and I serious doubt Cirelli would commit to an extension in Hockey Hell. 

Prefer to move Montour and keep Risto.  

Mitts may have good upside once he gets a man body, he still is not strong enough.   Is he willing to do the work? 

Hutton is done.  Bringing in a goalie on par with Uhlmark is necessary.  

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Agree that Cirelli would have to agree to an extension.  I would not trade Risto, Mitts, and the #8 pick in round 1 for Cirelli and Tampa’s #1.  Our pick at 8 is going to be a good player and I serious doubt Cirelli would commit to an extension in Hockey Hell. 

Prefer to move Montour and keep Risto.  

Mitts may have good upside once he gets a man body, he still is not strong enough.   Is he willing to do the work? 

Hutton is done.  Bringing in a goalie on par with Uhlmark is necessary.  

Cirelli is an RFA.  Where is going to go?  I guess he could hold out, but no one is going to make a Vanek type offer to him and he isn't going to the KHL.  We'd have the right to match any offer sheet anyway and once we did he'd be a Sabre.  

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Cirelli is an RFA.  Where is going to go?  I guess he could hold out, but no one is going to make a Vanek type offer to him and he isn't going to the KHL.  We'd have the right to match any offer sheet anyway and once we did he'd be a Sabre.  

True, but we might not like the offer we need to match.  Reinhart is going to get paid.  Then Dahlin.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.