Sabres Announce Jeremiah Crowe as Director of Scouting

Brawndo

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Crowe was a pro scout with the team, he was hired by Adams to be a Coach at Harborcenter. 

If Nightengale is taking a bigger role in scouting with analytics, that is intriguing. 

Say what now?

pop out GIF by Nat Geo Wild

44 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

golden globe GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Crowe was a pro scout with the team, he was hired by Adams to be a Coach at Harborcenter. 

If Nightengale is taking a bigger role in scouting with analytics, that is intriguing. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Say what now?

pop out GIF by Nat Geo Wild

Which begs the question, Why has he gone largely ignored or misused?  

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Which begs the question, Why has he gone largely ignored or misused?  

Because Botterill was a putzs. There is lots of conversation that Botterill used his analytics department to support decision he already made. AKA He was already trading for Frolik so "analytics give me evidence it is good". Which is ass backwards and seems to be backed up by what Adams has said and hinted at. 

Edited by LGR4GM
spelling
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Because Botterill was a putzs. There is lots of conversation that Botterill used his analytics department to support decision he already made. AKA He was already trading for Frolik so "analytics give me evidence it is good". Which is ass backwards and seems to be backed up by what Adams has said and hinted at. 

This sounds all too likely.  

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I think the biggest tell here about the value of analytics under Botterill is that “Assistant director of scouting” is a promotion over Director of Analytics.

This looks like Adams following through with fully integrating analytics into scouting, rather than making it a resource that can be used by scouting. It also provides insight into what Adams meant when he said departments weren’t talking and supports @Brawndo’s intel on how they were using the analytics department. Adams’ vision of having a single department ranking all hockey players using innovative technology and data analysis sounds damn progressive and a little exciting, assuming they have the right data collection methods and enough bodies to make it happen.

Superficially, Crowe looks to be an uninspired selection - an interior hire from a mediocre staff. Digging deeper gives me hope that he might be a bright, progressive guy who had been going largely unheard in the previous regime, and Kevyn is giving him a canvas to implement some innovative ideas. The most interesting thing in his bio is the fact he was the player personnel architect for some of those great US national development program teams. He looks like a hire similar to Kevyn: an unproven, younger positive thinker from outside the established heirarchy and a bit of a risk.

Interesting times.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

I think the biggest tell here about the value of analytics under Botterill is that “Assistant director of scouting” is a promotion over Director of Analytics.

This looks like Adams following through with fully integrating analytics into scouting, rather than making it a resource that can be used by scouting. It also provides insight into what Adams meant when he said departments weren’t talking and supports @Brawndo’s intel on how they were using the analytics department. Adams’ vision of having a single department ranking all hockey players using innovative technology and data analysis sounds damn progressive and a little exciting, assuming they have the right data collection methods and enough bodies to make it happen.

Superficially, Crowe looks to be an uninspired selection - an interior hire from a mediocre staff. Digging deeper gives me hope that he is a bright, progressive guy who had been going largely unheard in the previous regime, and Kevyn is giving him a canvas to implement some innovative ideas. The most interesting thing in his bio is the fact he was the player personnel architect for some of those great US national development program teams. He looks like a hire similar to Kevyn: a younger positive thinker from outside the established heirarchy.

Interesting times.

I like the Assistant director of scouting move.  From a business perspective i look at it like, these 2 departments were always under the GM, but they now have to integrate and interact more than in the past.  The analytics piece should help drive conversations on players from a pro personnel standpoint, as well as young players.  

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Agree that analytics taking on a larger role is a good omen.

Bumping up a guy working in the department that brought us Frolik & Simmonds less so.  (Can we pretend/ hope he's the guy that was the impetus behind Jokiharju and Kahun?)

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Taro T said:

Agree that analytics taking on a larger role is a good omen.

Bumping up a guy working in the department that brought us Frolik & Simmonds less so.  (Can we pretend/ hope he's the guy that was the impetus behind Jokiharju and Kahun?)

You'd have to believe that Crowe likes analytics otherwise Nightengale also coming along doesn't make sense or jive with what Adams has been saying about melding things together. The only conclusion that makes sense is that Crowe was not in favor of Frolik or Simmonds from an analytics standpoint because there is no GD Nightengale was unless he is the worst analytics guy in the world. 

The money quote from Crowe on the video and analytics part of the new philosophy.

"That's where you connect it with video - where you're out on the road, you're watching games, but now you have an opportunity to dissect something or watch something, one or two things you're looking for on video that allow for the whole picture to come into focus."

"It makes all the sense in the world. It's a little bit late I think int terms of being implemented in all of hockey and I'm excited to have it all under one umbrella and embraced by everyone in the scouting department.

Edited by dudacek

This was my money quote:

" But when you marry it (watching games) with the statistics, you're uncovering things, and things are lining up or they're not so you can dissect them further." - Crowe

Many of us have talked about this for years. I know I constantly mention it with evaluating draft prospects. If the numbers look good, what does the tape look like (I can't attend games live)? Those two things have to make sense and if they don't, why? For example, what is the difference between a player like Jarvis and Raymond? We know the numbers look different but how do they play? Jarvis has more jam and Raymond is a bit more perimeter passing/creativity type. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I wonder if KA can order these 2 guys to switch their names around so the new director of scouting is named "Jeremiah Nightengale."  That would have to be a top-5 coolest name in any NHL front office.

Wait a second.  Jeremiah's a crow?  Thought he was a bullfrog.  Guess we can't trust guys that sleep with dogs.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Again, I’ll give them all some time before judging. GMKA should know these guys very well. Their pitches would have been the good decisions that JBot made that were their ideas and the other good ideas that were thrown out.

I’m an eyeball guy but I would not reject any information a great analytics department would send my way.

Terry’s happy about not having to hire some new bodies externally.

Leaner and meaner!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.