Paul Hamilton Released by WGR550

Brawndo

It'd be great if someone who has access to TBN could post relevant details.

I found something elsewhere suggesting this was a furlough and Hamilton commented that this is "where we are at this point in time with the business."

I'm wondering if he'll be back when hockey is.

WGR-AM reporter Paul Hamilton’s temporary furlough in April has turned into a permanent departure from the sports station.

Tim Holly, who runs the seven local stations owned by Entercom Communications, made the announcement Tuesday in a memo to the staff that started by noting “these are difficult times that affect us in ways never considered.”

“That being said, I am sorry to announce after a 25+ year career on WGR, Paul Hamilton will no longer be our resource for the Buffalo Sabres and no longer employed at Entercom Buffalo,” wrote Holly.

The popular Hamilton was furloughed several weeks ago as Entercom dealt with the loss of advertising revenue due to the coronavirus epidemic that also shut down the Sabres season.

It was thought that Hamilton might return once the Sabres resumed play.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the same memo, Holly wrote that Rosemarie Paternostro also will no longer be with Entercom Buffalo after more than six years in the promotion department.

“I appreciate both their hard work and dedication to making Entercom Buffalo what it is today,” wrote Holly. “Please join me in wishing them both the best in all their future endeavors.”

Hamilton declined comment Tuesday afternoon beyond saying he had no plans yet.

At the time, he was furloughed, he wrote in a direct message, "it's just where our world is right now. Who would have thought a virus would do this much damage to our world? I just worry for people and where this world will be when it's all over."

Here is the article 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I guess everybody's cutting back with all the lost revenue from the COVID 19 fallout...and as the NY Yankees have proven time and time again, spending big does not necessarily translate into big success.  It is actually hit and miss...sometimes it works and other times it just cost the owners a bunch of money. I think the Pegulas looked at other teams (yes Carolina Hurricanes of course) and thought "why are we year after year spending to the cap, and paying a huge staff big money and get very poor results year after year? Sooner or later you get to the point where you get tired of paying out al that money for the results we have seen in Sabreland for far too many years. Paul Hamilton is just another casualty of cut backs...too bad good guy (which could be said for EXGM's TM and JBotto and a lot of other staff let go recently) 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

I guess everybody's cutting back with all the lost revenue from the COVID 19 fallout...and as the NY Yankees have proven time and time again, spending big does not necessarily translate into big success.  It is actually hit and miss...sometimes it works and other times it just cost the owners a bunch of money. I think the Pegulas looked at other teams (yes Carolina Hurricanes of course) and thought "why are we year after year spending to the cap, and paying a huge staff big money and get very poor results year after year? Sooner or later you get to the point where you get tired of paying out al that money for the results we have seen in Sabreland for far too many years. Paul Hamilton is just another casualty of cut backs...too bad good guy (which could be said for EXGM's TM and JBotto and a lot of other staff let go recently) 

Paul wasn't a Sabre employee.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Are there any details on this?

I find that really interesting.  Hamilton has been covering the Sabres and with WGR-550 for a very long time.

There's more to this story.

The Sabres won't be playing for a year+?

These mega-broadcasting companies got that big by borrowing to the hilt. It's no surprise they are cutting staff. Paul was most expendable right now.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 4

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Sabres won't be playing for a year+?

These mega-broadcasting companies got that big by borrowing to the hilt. It's no surprise they are cutting staff. Paul was most expendable right now.

I think that has a lot to do with it. I won't bet on it..but if he doesn't have another job by this time next year, it wouldn't surprise me to see him back covering the Sabres whenever they do play.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, pastajoe said:

My favorite Buffalo reporter. ? He was honest about the good and the bad without being bombastic. He’s also an underrated play-by-play man.

I've known Paul a long time. You're correct...he should have had the job as RJs backup

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

Cost cutting pre-dated COVID, as the company didn't allow him to travel with the team starting this past year.  Entercom is likely squeezing all of its holdings, including WGR, as its stock price has been bleeding out over the past three years, probably due to competition with the internet for advertising revenue.  Similar to TBN cutting costs by clearing out its sports writers.

Traditional journalism has been and continues to be in trouble as advertising revenues react to how people source their information.  Sports coverage is an extension of this.

I sincerely wish Paul the best.  He worked hard for over 25 years for something we love.  I look forward to seeing his next work.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, LTS said:

I'm curious if uproots and moves to North Carolina.... 

Wouldn't be surprised if some radio station down there could use a guy like him to cover the Canes...

Their radio coverage down here is pretty bare bones.  The pregame show sounds like it's straight out of a college radio station.

Frankly, the content we get from Yerden, Yost and Chad I'm not even going to try to spell his last name far surpasses anything Paul has done recently.  If you need a "voice" for Sabres reporting, Marty Biron is absolutely worth a listen. His interview with Cozens was 1000% more in depth than anything I've heard come out of Hamilton's mouth. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Their radio coverage down here is pretty bare bones.  The pregame show sounds like it's straight out of a college radio station.

He has connections to existing Canes media people there, I know that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.