NHL Draft Lottery: Friday June 26th, 8pm EDT

WildCard

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Hard to say, with a new GM that has no track record to go off of, we don't have an idea what he's gonna do. We knew with TM he would fall in love with players and pay whatever it took to get them. With JB, we knew that he wanted a Sweede so it would depend if there were Sweedes available or if there were a bunch of CHLers that other teams would want so he could move down. We also knew that he would need alot of time to way all options before he would get fleeced making a move....

It is nice to know that CHLers are on the table again (yeah, Cozens), but of course just watch and we take Holtz/Raymond anyway.

Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) Tweeted:
After balls 9-10-2 were drawn for the No. 1 overall pick in tonight's NHL draft lottery, the #sens owned the most potential winning combinations on the last ball: OTT (x4), DET (x2), ANA (x1), NJ (x1), BUF (x1), Team A (x1), Team E (x1).

17 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Also this gives incentive for a team that's not going to move on to tank the play in round and get a 1:8 chance to get a great young player. Its not like the revenue is going to be great for teams that aren't a host city, and if you are a host city it won't matter if your still playing or not, your going to make some money for hosting.

If they haven't lost yet, then how are they "a team that's not going to move on" and what exactly would they do to tank?  The players won't play any less hard if they still have a chance.  The coach won't play anything less than the best players if they still have a chance.  The GM is pretty limited in what he can do at this point.  Even with that little control, do you think that, for example, Montreal's GM will do anything to hurt their chances, however small, of beating Pittsburgh and moving on?

10 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Surely not now that they've already set the top 8? That wouldn't make any sense.

The reasoning was that if there’s no playoff then the league would consider it like there was no season, so everyone would be equal. Sounds crazy, but it’s already crazy.

11 hours ago, carpandean said:

If they haven't lost yet, then how are they "a team that's not going to move on" and what exactly would they do to tank?  The players won't play any less hard if they still have a chance.  The coach won't play anything less than the best players if they still have a chance.  The GM is pretty limited in what he can do at this point.  Even with that little control, do you think that, for example, Montreal's GM will do anything to hurt their chances, however small, of beating Pittsburgh and moving on?

How does any GM/Team convince players to tank? There are teams and players not in favour of playing. Just tell the players that the sooner they are out, the sooner they get to go back home to their families. Teams tanking now in this 'play in' playoffs are just as likely to tank as any organization would be during the regular season......

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

How does any GM/Team convince players to tank? There are teams and players not in favour of playing. Just tell the players that the sooner they are out, the sooner they get to go back home to their families. Teams tanking now in this 'play in' playoffs are just as likely to tank as any organization would be during the regular season......

Uhh ... the players never tank during the regular season, much less during the playoffs.  The GM does so by trading away good NHL players, by keeping well-performing players in the AHL, by favoring "getting the kids experience" when they're not really ready, etc, etc.  At best, the GM might get the coach on board, too, but never the players.  Two things stick out from our tank years: (1) every goalie who won a few games being traded away, and (2) Mike Weber getting pissed at fans for cheering against the team in a critical loss near the end of a tank season.

In this scenario, two things are very different than even the regular season: (1) the GM has very little roster control at this point, and (2) it's an actual round of games that could lead to a Cup.  No GM will get the coach and players to "tank" a five game play-in series.

Edited by carpandean

13 hours ago, Derrico said:

So question.  Why didn’t the nhl wait until after their play in rounds before having the lottery?  Like why did it have to be now with the possibility of this scenario playing out?  What was the harm in waiting until if/when they had completed this?

See, if you wait then you can't have an event now and then hold every one in suspense while the determination for #1 plays out.  That's the beauty of it all.  The NHL has people talking now and they will continue to talk until the #1 pick is determined... then people will continue to talk about how stupid the whole process is.  The entire time the NHL will be relevant, even if for no other reason than being a joke.

I do wonder however if the top 16 had been in the playoffs and the team in the #12 spot had moved up to #1 if people would be as upset with the whole process.  Effectively that's what happened... it's just that the NHL decided it would be cool to block off those outside the bottom 7 and give them equal chances at the first pick.  Which, in and of itself, is certainly worth scrutiny.  

Either way, the lottery system is a joke.  The good news is that I felt absolutely no emotion last night when I watched.. in fact I kept asking myself if I even care anymore. Between the Sabres lack of success and having hockey (and all sports really) taken away for the past few months I find myself apathetic to sports in general.

• Like (+1) 1

Its not surprising Bettman , Daley and the NHL braintrust came up with this daft lottery that makes little to no sense in its function or its fairness. Well done gentlemen, well done.

That wasn’t a typo.

Edited by bunomatic
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LTS said:

See, if you wait then you can't have an event now and then hold every one in suspense while the determination for #1 plays out.  That's the beauty of it all.  The NHL has people talking now and they will continue to talk until the #1 pick is determined... then people will continue to talk about how stupid the whole process is.  The entire time the NHL will be relevant, even if for no other reason than being a joke.

I do wonder however if the top 16 had been in the playoffs and the team in the #12 spot had moved up to #1 if people would be as upset with the whole process.  Effectively that's what happened... it's just that the NHL decided it would be cool to block off those outside the bottom 7 and give them equal chances at the first pick.  Which, in and of itself, is certainly worth scrutiny.  

Either way, the lottery system is a joke.  The good news is that I felt absolutely no emotion last night when I watched.. in fact I kept asking myself if I even care anymore. Between the Sabres lack of success and having hockey (and all sports really) taken away for the past few months I find myself apathetic to sports in general.

The transparency is most definitely an issue. 

16 hours ago, Derrico said:

So question.  Why didn’t the nhl wait until after their play in rounds before having the lottery?  Like why did it have to be now with the possibility of this scenario playing out?  What was the harm in waiting until if/when they had completed this?

Agreed. This is ridiculous. None of these “playoff” teams need the number one pick nor should they even get it. Seriously, I bet TOR ends up with it. I doubt the “playoffs” will even happen at all. 

42 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Agreed. This is ridiculous. None of these “playoff” teams need the number one pick nor should they even get it. Seriously, I bet TOR ends up with it. I doubt the “playoffs” will even happen at all. 

I think the league favours Pittsburgh more. Crosby is getting older and they are going to need to restore the Pens talent pool....

The Leafs still have some time with their players before they get old

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think the league favours Pittsburgh more. Crosby is getting older and they are going to need to restore the Pens talent pool....

You could say the same for Chicago....Kane/Toews. The Caps...Ovi/ Backstrom. LA...Kopitar/ Brown/Carter. Bruins...Bergeron/ Krejci/ March and. I'm sure there are others too, maybe Minny?

Somewhere, the NHL has written -but not publicly revealed- a contingency plan with no postseason in 2020.  And if they stray from the current announced plan, which requires a postseason be played, they will have to decide on a different plan that determines how the 1st overall is awarded.  It's shady AF to make a mid-course change to the plan once Phase I of the lottery has been completed..

I wonder if the Winnipeg Jets are screaming behind closed doors, lobbying the NHL about what they think the contingency plan should be.  Phase II of the draft lottery has them split the odds of winning 1st overall (12.5%).  But they finished the regular season as "Team E," who won the Phase I lottery for 1st overall.

I wonder if the teams in the qualifier round but outside regular season finishers Teams A through H are arguing for extended even odds (6.25%) to all 16 qualifying round teams upon postseason cancellation.

4 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Somewhere, the NHL has written -but not publicly revealed- a contingency plan with no postseason in 2020.  And if they stray from the current announced plan, which requires a postseason be played, they will have to decide on a different plan that determines how the 1st overall is awarded.  It's shady AF to make a mid-course change to the plan once Phase I of the lottery has been completed..

I wonder if the Winnipeg Jets are screaming behind closed doors, lobbying the NHL about what they think the contingency plan should be.  Phase II of the draft lottery has them split the odds of winning 1st overall (12.5%).  But they finished the regular season as "Team E," who won the Phase I lottery for 1st overall.

I wonder if the teams in the qualifier round but outside regular season finishers Teams A through H are arguing for extended even odds (6.25%) to all 16 qualifying round teams upon postseason cancellation.

I do know that Friedman mentioned there's a plan in place should the playoffs be cancelled - they'd re-draw, with even odds, from the 8 lowest ranked "playoff" teams. Teams ranked 24-17 in the NHL standings, based on points %.

I don't really understand why they set it up so there would need to be a re-draw at all in that case. Why not just give it to Team E, that won? But I'm glad it's that way, because I don't want the Jets to get the pick.

Assuming Friedman is right, and they had it stipulated there would in fact be that re-draw even if the playoffs were cancelled, I can't see them changing it now and awarding it to the Team representing E, now that they know who that would be, when making the decision. They'd be specifically going against what was presumably relayed to the teams pre-draw (and if not, has been now) and awarding Lafreniere to the Jets. 

Knowing their luck in winning Laine from the position they did, I'm sure they'll win the re-draw whenever it happens anyways. 

Edited by Thorny

Heard Brian Burke on Sirius NHL channel yesterday. Ripped the NHL for their draft lottery “special” rules for this year.  

Made me want to reach through the radio and give him a hug.  I hope that idiot Bettman was listening.  Not only did Detroit and Ottawa get boned, but one of the “playoff” teams is going to get the 1st overall pick. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Heard Brian Burke on Sirius NHL channel yesterday. Ripped the NHL for their draft lottery “special” rules for this year.  

Made me want to reach through the radio and give him a hug.  I hope that idiot Bettman was listening.  Not only did Detroit and Ottawa get boned, but one of the “playoff” teams is going to get the 1st overall pick. 

Detroit and Ottawa getting "boned" has nothing to do with "special" rules for this year.    There was a 50.6% chance of Detroit picking fourth, just as there was last year when Ottawa had the worst record.  It might be stupid, but it's not "special". 

As for the other part, it comes down to whether or you accept the premise that, since they didn't finish the season and, thus, "gray area" about who made the playoffs, they added a pre-playoff round to settle that.  If you do, then the 15 "non-playoff" teams were in the lottery (even if it the order of events mean we don't know who they are yet, which was the dumbest part), as usual, with the same chances as usual.  Is that extra round really that different (conceptually) than being "in the hunt" in late March?   Some make it to the playoffs and the rest go in the lottery.  Sometimes a "better" team has a bad run, while a "worse" team finishes strong (and, yes, sometime a better team misses out due to being in a stronger division or conference.)

41 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Detroit and Ottawa getting "boned" has nothing to do with "special" rules for this year.    There was a 50.6% chance of Detroit picking fourth, just as there was last year when Ottawa had the worst record.  It might be stupid, but it's not "special". 

As for the other part, it comes down to whether or you accept the premise that, since they didn't finish the season and, thus, "gray area" about who made the playoffs, they added a pre-playoff round to settle that.  If you do, then the 15 "non-playoff" teams were in the lottery (even if it the order of events mean we don't know who they are yet, which was the dumbest part), as usual, with the same chances as usual.  Is that extra round really that different (conceptually) than being "in the hunt" in late March?   Some make it to the playoffs and the rest go in the lottery.  Sometimes a "better" team has a bad run, while a "worse" team finishes strong (and, yes, sometime a better team misses out due to being in a stronger division or conference.)

Sorry...I don’t buy the whole “play in”,  “pre-playoff” nonsense. You are either out like the Sabres, or you are in, like 24 teams are....and the 24 teams who are in the playoffs should not have been part of the lottery.  

...and fair point on Detroit and Ottawa.  I just don’t like the lottery and never have, so I am always biased. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Sorry...I don’t buy the whole “play in”,  “pre-playoff” nonsense. You are either out like the Sabres, or you are in, like 24 teams are....and the 24 teams who are in the playoffs should not have been part of the lottery. 

But, hypothetically, if they had just taken the lowest 8 of those teams and decided they were out, too, sending the top 8 into the usual four rounds of playoffs,  then ran the lottery as usual, and whatever team was 12th-lowest (too lazy to look it up) had gotten the #1 pick (exact same chance as what happened), would you have felt any better about the outcome just because they didn't get to lose a five (or fewer) game extra "playoff" round?

25 minutes ago, carpandean said:

But, hypothetically, if they had just taken the lowest 8 of those teams and decided they were out, too, sending the top 8 into the usual four rounds of playoffs,  then ran the lottery as usual, and whatever team was 12th-lowest (too lazy to look it up) had gotten the #1 pick (exact same chance as what happened), would you have felt any better about the outcome just because they didn't get to lose a five (or fewer) game extra "playoff" round?

I certainly would’ve felt better. A playoff team (or whatever you want to call it) should not, under any infectious circumstance, be in the lottery. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.