NHL Draft Lottery: Friday June 26th, 8pm EDT

WildCard

45 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I hope we win!

So, in summation for consensus thus far --- If we get to the top 3, we get LaFreniere, Byfield, or Stutzle. If we stick at 7 or 8, we want Perfetti, Rossi, or Drysdale. And if we fall to 10, we take a flier on Jarvis (if available)?

To me, Rossi ahead of Stutzle at 3, and Rossi will only be there at 7 if GMs are dumb, so yeah, it’s a definite possibility.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

To me, Rossi ahead of Stutzle at 3, and Rossi will only be there at 7 if GMs are dumb, so yeah, it’s a definite possibility.

It is very possible. Rossi is short so... something about being short not hockeying goods. NHL gms come up with the worst reasons not to draft good players. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It is very possible. Rossi is short so... something about being short not hockeying goods. NHL gms come up with the worst reasons not to draft good players. 

I’m not reading it as size being the issue keeping him out of the top three at all, I’m reading it more as Rossi being physically and mentally mature already.

There is a fear he’s not going to grow his game as much as others might, and what you see is what you get. Where is the extra gear coming from that will allow his current game to translate against stronger, smarter players?

Edited by dudacek

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m not reading it as size being the issue keeping him out of the top three at all, I’m reading it more as Rossi being physically and mentally mature already.

There is a fear he’s not going to grow his game as much as others might, and what you see is what you get. Where is the extra gear coming from that will allow his current game to translate against stronger, smarter players?

I get what you are saying about growth. It is a risk with every prospect, they may have hit their peak, lose the fire in the belly etc...

Rossi is almost a year older than Byfield so he is more mature than a lot of his peers, which helped his OHL stats.

I think the growth in his game will come from getting stronger especially in his lower body, to end up like a Crosby or Marchand body type. Low centre of gravity. He plays a smart game and is reliable all over the ice. I think he’ll make a smooth transition to the pro game. A kid from Austria that has lived in Germany and Canada shows dedication and adaptability.

No one talks about Perfetti’s size yet he is only 1 inch and 6 pounds bigger than Rossi.

10 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I get what you are saying about growth. It is a risk with every prospect, they may have hit their peak, lose the fire in the belly etc...

Rossi is almost a year older than Byfield so he is more mature than a lot of his peers, which helped his OHL stats.

I think the growth in his game will come from getting stronger especially in his lower body, to end up like a Crosby or Marchand body type. Low centre of gravity. He plays a smart game and is reliable all over the ice. I think he’ll make a smooth transition to the pro game. A kid from Austria that has lived in Germany and Canada shows dedication and adaptability.

No one talks about Perfetti’s size yet he is only 1 inch and 6 pounds bigger than Rossi.

I agree with all of this, and it’s why I am personally high on Rossi.

I’m just saying that others question whether he can play his style of game at 185 pounds, because they don’t think he will get bigger.

Im sure it’s a reason why Marchand was a 3rd round pick. Scouts were wrong about him, but they’ve been right about many other.

45 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I can understand that, but you could say the same thing about Alex Lafreniere, for example, and a lot of other players.  They don’t get dinged for that.

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

I can understand that, but you could say the same thing about Alex Lafreniere, for example, and a lot of other players.  They don’t get dinged for that.

I remember them saying it about Aaron Ekblad, and, in retrospect, Zach Bogosian: that their dominance at 18 was due to them being physically developed like a 23-year-old. How will they compare when their peers catch up?

I know it seems counter-intuitive, because those guys are beasts and Rossi is short, but he is also physically mature.

A scout might say Lafreniere is 18 in terms of physical development and look at his family and say he has lot of room to grow. They are looking at Rossi and saying he’s already got his man body and it might not be enough to let him play the game he plays now at an NHL level.

It’s the reason some guys get dinged more than others and some guys get projected more than others. It’s an I exact science at best.

Edited by dudacek

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I remember them saying it about Aaron Ekblad, and, in retrospect, Zach Bogosian: that their dominance at 18 was due to them being physically developed like a 23-year-old. How will they compare when their peers catch up?

I know it seems counter-intuitive, because those guys are beasts and Rossi is short, but he is also physically mature.

A scout might say Lafreniere is 18 in terms of physical development and look at his family and say he has lot of room to grow. They are looking at Rossi and saying he’s already got his man body and it might not be enough to let him play the game he plays now at an NHL level.

It’s the reason some guys get dinged more than others and some guys get projected more than others. It’s an I exact science at best.

I get that, but I think there is a big difference there.  Rossi isn’t dominating because he is bigger and stronger.  He doesn’t rely on his physicality to overpower opponents like the players that you mentioned. 

32 minutes ago, Curt said:

I get that, but I think there is a big difference there.  Rossi isn’t dominating because he is bigger and stronger.  He doesn’t rely on his physicality to overpower opponents like the players that you mentioned. 

But he does use his burst and Skating base, will they be dominant enough to play the same game when opponents are faster and stronger, or will they translate like Casey’s stickhandling has?

To be clear, I’m on your side in this one, just pointing out the other side.

Seth Jarvis! 

... sorry I heard ppl talking about players getting better as the mature physically and I couldn't help but think of a 5'10" 175lb kid who's definitely still growing. 

Just now, dudacek said:

But he does use his burst and Skating base, will they be dominant enough to play the same game when opponents are faster and stronger, or will they translate like Casey’s stickhandling has?

To be clear, I’m on your side in this one, just pointing out the other side.

I'd argue it's more likely Rossi's style will transfer easier than a mittelstadt. 

But Rossi is far closer to a finished product than some other top 10 guys. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I agree with all of this, and it’s why I am personally high on Rossi.

I’m just saying that others question whether he can play his style of game at 185 pounds, because they don’t think he will get bigger.

Im sure it’s a reason why Marchand was a 3rd round pick. Scouts were wrong about him, but they’ve been right about many other.

Hire Peca as his personal trainer.

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

But Rossi is far closer to a finished product than some other top 10 guys. 

It is true, but I stick with Rossi above anyone else in the 3-10 because he is better.  Less projection but better currently.  He is smart, skilled and known as a very hard worker.

I just believe that he is going to figure out how to make it work, even if it’s as a 50-60 point, tenacious, Chris Drury type of C, who you can put out there in any situation, as opposed to a true superstar.

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if we ever missed out on a target (other than McDavid) by moving down because of the lottery?

Murray said he had Reinhart at one and there are pretty strong hints MIttelstadt would have been our guy at 6 and Cozens at 5 if we hadn't dropped.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.