NHL Draft Lottery: Friday June 26th, 8pm EDT

WildCard

3 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

They aren't "in" the playoffs. It's a play-in round to get to the playoffs. 

Bottom line...there are 24 teams still “playing” after the regular season was declared over...and those teams should not be in the lottery.  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I know this isn't about this years draft...but can anyone imagine what next years might look like?

If Covid goes on much longer..and restrictions stick...you might be looking at a 2021 draft where the kids (players) haven't played at all for 1.5 years, or at least haven't played much...and even they they do play...will there be as much scouting of those few games as in the past?

It might make the first round a little trickier...but I can't imagine how totally random the later rounds of the draft might be.

Funny my wife and I have discussed this recently.  There are going to be so many far reaching effects and unintended consequences of this pandemic including the next couple of draft years being subpar as their not getting the same training and level of competition as previous cohorts.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I still think it is BS that teams that are in the playoffs are also in the lottery.  ?

Seriously.  Only the nhl comes up with stuff.  Sabre don’t deserve anything better but it really does feel like they’re getting shafted twice here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

And yet those 8 teams still get to play.

Actually it's 16 teams. Any of those teams could be in the lottery or the actual playoffs.

Just for clarity....I am only trying to be neutral about this and show the other side of it. My posts on the topic are not to be any confirmation of either side of the argument.

13 hours ago, Derrico said:

Funny my wife and I have discussed this recently.  There are going to be so many far reaching effects and unintended consequences of this pandemic including the next couple of draft years being subpar as their not getting the same training and level of competition as previous cohorts.

Perfect time to raise the draft age to 19. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/23/2020 at 8:30 AM, LGR4GM said:

I am praying for a top 3 pick because I think 2 of the 3 top three will be NHL players next season (whenever that starts). Also there is some talent in the top of this draft but things get dicey really quickly. 

Where abouts do you see it starting to get dicey? 

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Perfect time to raise the draft age to 19. 

Will never happen.  They aren't going to deal with the inevitable lawsuits that would come from both sides of the border should they (the league & the NHLPA) try to restrain adults from being allowed to make a living.  Other sports that essentially have an order draft age have had that set up for years and also make exceptions to the blanket age rule.

Besides, how you going to get Bettman & Fehr to come to an agreement on something that major?

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Will never happen.  They aren't going to deal with the inevitable lawsuits that would come from both sides of the border should they (the league & the NHLPA) try to restrain adults from being allowed to make a living.  Other sports that essentially have an order draft age have had that set up for years and also make exceptions to the blanket age rule.

Besides, how you going to get Bettman & Fehr to come to an agreement on something that major?

Junior leagues would love a 19 year old NHL draft. Very few players actually move up at 18 though.

They could come up with an exceptional status clause for 18 year olds so your generational talent could move up sooner.

28 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Junior leagues would love a 19 year old NHL draft. Very few players actually move up at 18 though.

They could come up with an exceptional status clause for 18 year olds so your generational talent could move up sooner.

Both true that they would & they could.  Would be shocked if they ever do.

32 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I always thought that it could work if it was for the first round only in year one, then afterwards a player had to opt in, and would be sent back into the draft if he failed to play x amount of games on an NHL roster the following year. Keeps the door open for the truly exceptional kids worth the risk.

Edited by dudacek

Dropping one spot or more (39.1 cent chance) would hurt. I see a tier ending at 7 and my 7 (Raymond) is giving me  Nylander vibes.

Moving into the top 3 (7.2) would be exciting. Winning Lafreniere (6.5) would be a game changer.

Buffalo has never moved up in the lottery.

In 2019 dropped 2 spots

2018 stayed the same

2017 dropped 2 spots

2016 stayed the same

2015 dropped one spot

2014 dropped one spot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.