NHL Draft Lottery: Friday June 26th, 8pm EDT

WildCard

* The top three picks in the 2020 NHL Draft will be awarded via the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery: the 1st Lottery Draw will determine the team selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery Draw will determine the team selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery Draw will determine the team selecting third overall.

* The 2020 NHL Draft Lottery will be held in two phases, if necessary.

* Fifteen teams will be eligible in Phase 1 of the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery (which will be held June 26): the seven teams that already have not qualified for the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs – ranked in inverse order of their points percentages at the time of the pause in the regular season – and eight “placeholders” that represent the to-be-determined Qualifying Round teams that do not advance, thus maintaining previously established odds for the Draft Lottery.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2020/6/22/21299247/nhl-draft-lottery-phase-1-set-for-friday#:~:text=NEW YORK (June 22%2C 2020,26%2C at 8 p.m. ET.

image.thumb.png.05ec24b53117bfcfdae7178efdd6e8d2.png

Imagine being a Senators fan for this

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am praying for a top 3 pick because I think 2 of the 3 top three will be NHL players next season (whenever that starts). Also there is some talent in the top of this draft but things get dicey really quickly. 

We can only hope

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Imagine being a Senators fan for this

We can only hope

Wait until the sens have 2 top 3 picks and get like Stutzle and Byfield. They will lap us in a year. 

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

So, a team going into the play in round could potentially know if the would get the first pick in the draft if they lost.

Seems like a good system.

They wouldn't know. It would depend on who else lost. Say pick 9 gets first overall, depending on who loses in the play in would determine so maybe for 1 game I suppose you could know but I would bet the lure of the playoffs will be enough for players to be all out. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Wait until the sens have 2 top 3 picks and get like Stutzle and Byfield. They will lap us in a year. 

They wouldn't know. It would depend on who else lost. Say pick 9 gets first overall, depending on who loses in the play in would determine so maybe for 1 game I suppose you could know but I would bet the lure of the playoffs will be enough for players to be all out. 

Team A would know. And I agree it wouldn’t affect the players. The coach, maybe.

Edited by SwampD

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If we've learned anything about drafting high, you still have to surround them with talent and capable coaching

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

So, a team going into the play in round could potentially know if the would get the first pick in the draft if they lost.

That's not how it's working. If a 8-15 team gets the pick, there will be a second lottery after the playoffs for who gets the pick out of that group.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Team A would know. And I agree it wouldn’t affect the players. The coach,

they won’t know. If any of balls 8-15 drop, there will be a second lottery, post play-in to see who gets that spot.

The play-in decides which of the bubble teams makes the playoffs. The play-in losers are the equivalent of the teams that just missed the playoffs. It’s pretty much exactly the same as Chicago moving up to pick Dach last year.

You essentially have to lose the play-in and win two lotteries to move up.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

The good thing about this draft is that is it very deep, so even if the Sabres do fall a couple of spots and pick #10, I expect Kevyn Adams will be able to add a quality player to the system.

Wanted your thoughts on this: Given that this draft is deep even at the top, if the Sabres are picking 3rd hypothetically, would you support a trade down to say 7-10 to pickup more assets where you still can get a similar impact player in that rage?

5 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

The good thing about this draft is that is it very deep, so even if the Sabres do fall a couple of spots and pick #10, I expect Kevyn Adams will be able to add a quality player to the system.

Wanted your thoughts on this: Given that this draft is deep even at the top, if the Sabres are picking 3rd hypothetically, would you support a trade down to say 7-10 to pickup more assets where you still can get a similar impact player in that rage?

This draft is so average it hurts. 2019 was very deep, this is not that at all even in the top 10. 2019 is what deep looks like, 2020 is what your average boring draft is, aka not deep. 

Edited by LGR4GM

49 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I think you have to consider it. It depends on the offer and the way you’ve got things tiered.

How much difference do you see in Byfield Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti, Drysdale, Holtz, Stutzle and Sanderson?
How do you see the draft unfolding after you move down?

What is being dangled as the bait? 
Say you have Perfetti and Rossi as toss-up for three and Montreal dangles 8 and Domi so they can take Drysdale.

You know Stutzle will be gone at 4. Do you gamble that one of your guys falls? Are you content with Holtz or Raymond if you lose the gamble?

I’d love to be a fly in the wall for those conversations.

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Interesting. I've been hearing that it's really deep in the top 10ish then falls pretty quickly.

From what I’ve read, it sounds like Lafreniere is sure thing first liner.

Byfield could be an Eric Staal level player, but not guaranteed.

Stutzle, Perfetti, Drysdale, Raymond and Rossi have a chance to be first-line players and should be top six/first pairing guys, with Sanderson and Holtz in that group for some scouts.

To me that’s a good,  but not outstanding top end. And the rest of the first round seems meh, with the odd gem mixed in, like it often is.

• Like (+1) 1

I know this isn't about this years draft...but can anyone imagine what next years might look like?

If Covid goes on much longer..and restrictions stick...you might be looking at a 2021 draft where the kids (players) haven't played at all for 1.5 years, or at least haven't played much...and even they they do play...will there be as much scouting of those few games as in the past?

It might make the first round a little trickier...but I can't imagine how totally random the later rounds of the draft might be.

16 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Interesting. I've been hearing that it's really deep in the top 10ish then falls pretty quickly.

It's average deep. There are always 6-8 guys that people think of as top players in every draft. So you always see the top 10 or so generate buzz. Deep means there is talent that has a good NHL chance further back. 2019 saw Nick Robertson go what? 53 which is crazy deep to get that talent in the end of round 2. 

2019 had roughly 15 or so players in the first round that we could fit into the top 10 of this years draft. This years draft is average. There is some talent but it doesn't bleed all the way into the round 2 and 3. It ebbs fairly quickly and there are a lot more questions for those later players than 2019 had. Basically you can't call a draft "deep" just because there is talent in the top 10, there is always talent in the top 10. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's average deep. There are always 6-8 guys that people think of as top players in every draft. So you always see the top 10 or so generate buzz. Deep means there is talent that has a good NHL chance further back. 2019 saw Nick Robertson go what? 53 which is crazy deep to get that talent in the end of round 2. 

2019 had roughly 15 or so players in the first round that we could fit into the top 10 of this years draft. This years draft is average. There is some talent but it doesn't bleed all the way into the round 2 and 3. It ebbs fairly quickly and there are a lot more questions for those later players than 2019 had. Basically you can't call a draft "deep" just because there is talent in the top 10, there is always talent in the top 10. 

Yeah, I missused deep there, meant more like a good/strong top 10ish.

Just now, sabresparaavida said:

Yeah, I missused deep there, meant more like a good/strong top 10ish.

Honestly, I think there are about 8 really high end prospects, then it kind of drops off.  Then there’s a big group of good prospects.  And at the very top, there isn’t a “generational” talent.

I think it’s ok, but not really even an above average top-10.

Year after year the NHL Draft Lottery amazes me in its awkwardness - a bunch of old white men in suits sitting on stools pinning their hopes to numbered lottery balls.  I can't believe they haven't updated the format, especially this year, with everything going on in the world.  It's such an incongruent display of nonsense.  What's the plan for Friday night, a Zoom gallery view format?

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think you have to consider it. It depends on the offer and the way you’ve got things tiered.

How much difference do you see in Byfield Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti, Drysdale, Holtz, Stutzle and Sanderson?
How do you see the draft unfolding after you move down?

What is being dangled as the bait? 
Say you have Perfetti and Rossi as toss-up for three and Montreal dangles 8 and Domi so they can take Drysdale.

You know Stutzle will be gone at 4. Do you gamble that one of your guys falls? Are you content with Holtz or Raymond if you lose the gamble?

I’d love to be a fly in the wall for those conversations.

If you were a fly in the wall, you probably wouldn’t be able to see or hear much. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.