The new Core

sweetlou

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Adams, Krueger and the Pegulas are on the record as liking our young core and thinking we are closer than some might think.

It’s an open question as to whether guys like Ullmark, Risto, Montour, Mittelstadt and Reinhart are considered part of that core.

But it seems pretty clear that the plan is to augment the core - add talent, not tear things down. That’s why I think the only way a Reinhart gets moved is if the deal improves the team now, and also why these Eichel for quantity and futures deals that are being floated are pure fantasy.

I am really interested in seeing how much of a priority another goalie is to the new regime, but I strongly doubt it is ahead of adding more scoring.

But just recently the Sabres were in talks with San Jose about a trade for Martin Jones. This need may change in the eyes of the new regime as a priority.

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

hEs NoT a LeGiT tOp SiX fOrWaRd AnD pArT oF tHe PrObLeM.

That is a weird take.  I can’t recall a single instance on this board where someone said Samson isn’t a top 6 player.  There are some who think he has soft skills, but top 6 skills.

I guess that’s what you het on the internet.  You read an opinion you don’t like and your brain sends it to an extreme.

18 hours ago, ManyRasmusFewWins said:

LD : Dahlin, McCabe, Johnson, Samuelsson

RD : Jokiharju, Ristolainen, Montour, Miller, Borgen, Laaksonen

LW : Skinner, Olofsson, Johansson, Girgensons, Davidsson

C : Eichel, Cozens, Mittelstadt, Larsson, Asplund, Pekar

RW : Reinhart, Thompson, Okposo, Kahun, Lazar

Where's the grit? Who on this line-up likes to hit? Risto, Zemgus...... McCabe occasionally..... a little genuine feistiness would go a long way on this team. You can't turn a pussycat into a tiger. It's gotta be in there... like Prego.... and it ain't. As a fan, I want to see winning, scoring, and hitting in that order. But the latter would go a long way with the former.

4 hours ago, Weave said:

That is a weird take.  I can’t recall a single instance on this board where someone said Samson isn’t a top 6 player.  There are some who think he has soft skills, but top 6 skills.

I guess that’s what you het on the internet.  You read an opinion you don’t like and your brain sends it to an extreme.

I don’t know. I’ve read many a post saying they need to get rid of Sam. I think there were even threads about it.

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

hEs NoT a LeGiT tOp SiX fOrWaRd AnD pArT oF tHe PrObLeM.

*****. The problem is that we have far too few good players like Sam and too many godawful useless players like Vesey. Get rid of the players who are garbage, not the precious few good ones we have.

And yes, this team has me in a mood where I don't suffer fools gladly right now.

Except the post you quoted didn't say anything like this.

As for the 2nd bolded -- do better or keep quiet.

20 hours ago, dudacek said:

Is there a veteran player on the market who better fits the profile of what the Sabres are publicly calling for - proven vet who plays fast, can score and drive play - than Taylor Hall?

Hall says he wants term, even though he understands the pandemic is going to depress the AAV. The “good teams” will have to create cap space for him.

The Sabres have the cap space and I think they will definitely kick the tires, assuming he and Krueger have a good relationship.

Cool, where does he play? Are you bumping Olofsson away from Eichel or trading him?

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Cool, where does he play? Are you bumping Olofsson away from Eichel or trading him?

Bump him away from Eichel.  He isn’t really that good 5 on 5 anyway.  I think he should be moved away from Eichel regardless of Hall.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Signing Hall would be fun, but it would break the ability to create a realistic roster unless we can magically move Skinner. Or lose one of Reino or Olofsson. I mean --- it'd be fun in that you'd have tandems like Olofsson-Eichel, Hall-Mittelstadt, and Skinner-Cozens (mix-and-match as you see fit) --- but center depth is our biggest team need and all the cash would be with the left wingers (and Eichel and Dahlin). We'd be forced to play our young centers and risk the same consequences we've seen before.

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Bump him away from Eichel.  He isn’t really that good 5 on 5 anyway.  I think he should be moved away from Eichel regardless of Hall.

Good thing Reinhart is on that line then... wait no I am being told that ppl want to trade Reinhart because why would we want good NHL players around. 

The idea of trades is to get better. The idea of a core is to keep players who've brought success or give you the best chance of success together.

The 2020 Buffalo Sabres? All options should be on the table. Married to Sam Reinhart? Please. Only in real life.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

36 minutes ago, Curt said:

31 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Signing Hall would be fun, but it would break the ability to create a realistic roster unless we can magically move Skinner. Or lose one of Reino or Olofsson. I mean --- it'd be fun in that you'd have tandems like Olofsson-Eichel, Hall-Mittelstadt, and Skinner-Cozens (mix-and-match as you see fit) --- but center depth is our biggest team need and all the cash would be with the left wingers (and Eichel and Dahlin). We'd be forced to play our young centers and risk the same consequences we've seen before.

Skinner/Eichel, Hall/Reinhart, Olofsson/Johansson are the basis of three pretty good lines, no?

There’s no rule that says all your good players have to be stuffed into your top six

Kahun rides with one line, we acquire a similar-level player for another, and Tage, Casey and Dylan battle for the third, with Okposo as the fallback if none are ready.

To Darth’s point, Hall can drive play off the wing far better than a Henrique or a Strome can from the middle.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Except it mathmatically doesn't work unless Hall takes a 8mil deal and Reinhart takes a 6mil deal and we aren't adding a center and Cozens has to work. 

I’ve done the math. We can add Hall and a Kahun-level player for about 12 million and still sign our RFAs, easily if the latter is picked up in a money out trade.

Like I said above, Hall is an elite player that improves us more than a mediocre 2C does. Would I rather get a Monahan or a Cirelli, of course.

Edited by dudacek

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay, now fit Dahlin and Jokiharju in for 2021. You are creating a broken roster if you do this without sending out Reinhart or Skinner to compensate. The Cap is not going up and won't next year either in all likelihood. 

Jokiharju is going to get relative peanuts next year and isn’t an issue.

Hutton, Johansson and McCabe are gone off the cap next year and will probably be replaced by entry-level contracts or low-cost veterans. Risto or Montour will be moved if Dahlin warrants huge money.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Jokiharju is going to get relative peanuts next year and isn’t an issue.

Hutton, Johansson and McCabe are gone off the cap next year and will probably be replaced by entry-level players. Risto or Montour will be moved if Dahlin warrants huge money.

I just don't believe in building the team the way you are in this scenario. If you can ditch Skinner, sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I just don't believe in building the team the way you are in this scenario. If you can ditch Skinner, sure. 

It wouldn’t be my first choice either, but I don’t see many ways to add a player the calibre of Hall to this year’s roster without trading Cozens and/or our top pick. And Hall is good enough to earn his ticket until those guys are ready to take the baton from him.

Skinner is a burden for sure. 

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Except the post you quoted didn't say anything like this.

As for the 2nd bolded -- do better or keep quiet.

With all due respect, you respond to many posts with "NFW" such and such happens.  How is that any less obnoxious?

If we are going to ask the poster to do better then I think that applies to many of us on this forum, including me.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Which is an entirely different statement.

Perreault forever used to diss Reinhart as a 3rd liner. I remember long exchanges with him on the subject.

He can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think he now acknowledges him as a top-six forward, just not one that we should pay at that level because he’s not the type of player a team can win with.

28 minutes ago, Weave said:

Which is an entirely different statement.

Sorry, I should have finished my thought. People wanted him gone because he was going to want top 6 money and they didn’t think he was worth it. Isn’t that the same as saying he’s not a top 6 player?

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sorry, I should have finished my thought. People wanted him gone because he was going to want top 6 money and they didn’t think he was worth it. Isn’t that the same as saying he’s not a top 6 player?

I think you are misreading those folks.  I think Dudacek’s read is more accurate.  A few folks think he’s not the type of player that they think will help the team win, but acknowledge that he is a top 6 talent.  If anything, I think the argument has been that he shouldn’t get 1st line money.

Im trying to find a comparable for these people.  Maybe not Satan.  Roy?  Is that the comparison?  Talented.  Not someone you spend core money on.  I don’t know.  I don’t hold that view.  I want to see a playoff push before I pull that trigger. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.