Boston sportswriter says Bruins should make Blockbuster offer for Eichel...

matter2003

"It certainly makes you look inward and realize how grateful I am for the opportunity to play for such a great organization," the Bruins’ 26-year-old defenceman said Tuesday on a Zoom conference.

Ouch. And to think, this is probably how this NHL player viewed the Sabres before the owners doubled down on their involvement and hired another noob.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:57 AM, dudacek said:

Other team’s fanbase’s are positively drooling over the slightest whiff that Eichel could become available. The hockey downtime is being filled with Buffalo is a tire fire stories and Eichel trade fantasies, most of them based around the idea the Sabres are going to tear it down and build around Dahlin.

If there is a silver lining, it’s really showing us how respected Jack has become around the league.

Oh ya. 

I wasn't sure if it would hold, considering both the fact the season ended abruptly, and because Jack had been slumping leading into that, but the general, league wide narrative around Jack is now solidly elite, MVP-level player. This was his breakout year. 

Like MacKinnon, in HIS 5th year. 

Edited by Thorny

On 6/22/2020 at 2:38 PM, mjd1001 said:

I'd listen to offers....but it has to be the offer that the Sabres "can't say no to".  Something like a player that is almost as good as Eichel (Klye Connor, Aho, Barkhov, Laine,), AND something else of major value (top prospect in their system and a high draft pick) and maybe take a bad contract off the Sabres also.

Basically, the only trade I would look at for the Sabres...the other team has to be looking to trade a Star player for Eichel, who they think could be a bigger star..and they are going to have to pay up extra to make that leap.

Connor and Laine are not in the same stratosphere as Eichel. 

On 6/22/2020 at 10:21 PM, LGR4GM said:

Rangers don't have the prospects, nhl talent, or draft capital for this trade. They don't have enough things to even peak my interest. I'll look at the kings and Winnipeg tomorrow. 

Jets have a poor prospect pool. 

On 6/22/2020 at 3:41 PM, LGR4GM said:

Laine? Oh ***** no

Ok, I'll play along. Give me a team that calls to inquire about eichel. I'll go from there. 

Connor, too, no?

Edited by Thorny

17 hours ago, shrader said:

He's had multiple BU teammates here since day 1.  Rodriques, O'Regan, Hickey... and then they had two more briefly in Rochester in Cason Hohmann and Matt Lane.  If he wanted to be somewhere with old teammates, this place has been very friendly in that regard.  It's not going to be former teammates that drive any decision he makes.

No no, that's true. My point wasn't just that an old teammate spoke up it was who, where and the timing. Gryzlek isn't an outspoken guy and to chime in with how great an organization the Bruins are and how lucky he is right after the Bruins trade rumour article is in the very least an attempt to influence Jack. 

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Did everyone forget Eichel's love for RK? 

But don't forget he was also seen cheering for the bruins in last year's playoffs. Which love is stronger?

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Thorny said:

Oh ya. 

I wasn't sure if it would hold, considering both the fact the season ended abruptly, and because Jack had been slumping leading into that, but the general, league wide narrative around Jack is now solidly elite, MVP-level player. This was his breakout year. 

Like MacKinnon, in HIS 5th year. 

Keep saying Eichel's comparable is MacKinnon & Jack typically is a smidge ahead of him at the same relative point in their careers.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No no, that's true. My point wasn't just that an old teammate spoke up it was who, where and the timing. Gryzlek isn't an outspoken guy and to chime in with how great an organization the Bruins are and how lucky he is right after the Bruins trade rumour article is in the very least an attempt to influence Jack. 

But don't forget he was also seen cheering for the bruins in last year's playoffs. Which love is stronger?

I cheered for Columbus in the playoffs last year... so I guess I want to go there. Why wouldn't he cheer for his hometown team after his team couldn't limp into the playoffs.

The fact is Jack Eichel is under contract and I see nothing that says he wants out. Even if he does we don't have to trade him because contract. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Gee, I wonder who asked him a question about Eichel.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Keep saying Eichel's comparable is MacKinnon & Jack typically is a smidge ahead of him at the same relative point in their careers.

I agree. 

Jack finished at a 94 point pace, and Nathan did finish with a 107 point pace, his 5th year (the first season since their rookie years where Nathan had the better pace, to your point.) They are pretty comparable breakout seasons though, I'd say, especially because Jack even recently said he was still nursing an injury that was hampering him during the season, an injury that seems to line up with his 7 game pointless streak (the longest of his career), where he looked noticeably different, to finish up the season, before scoring a goal in his last game. 

Up until that 8 game stretch to end the season, his pace was 105 points, on this roster. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

• 4 months later...

Survey of NHL agents in the Athletic today:  https://theathletic.com/2194871/2020/11/13/nhl-agent-survey-21-reps-talk-star-trades-bubble-standouts-offseason-winners/

Name the highest-profile player you expect to change teams in the next year.

Ugh.

I don’t think Jack will ask to be traded; they are making real substantial changes to the forward group. Really have a feeling he knows what this city is about and will stay loyal. 

Not to mention, once he tastes Buffalo playoffs atmosphere he will be hooked for sure.

Side note: I know I’m supposed to dislike the Leafs more than any team but my biggest rival for us has always been the Bruins, can’t stand them. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

There are two distinct narratives at play here:

1) Inside the Key Bank Centre: the team addressed its culture issues with the additions of Krueger and Adams and the addition of Hall shows that. It was "close" on the ice last year. And the targeted moves it made during the off-season should be enough to make it relevant around the three-pronged long-term axis of Eichel, Hall and Dahlin

2) Large chunks of the NHL establishment: the franchise is broken and the additions of Krueger and Adams haven't fixed it, Hall was a straight-up mercenary move. It was not close on the ice last year. And the targeted moves it made during the off-season won't be enough to make it relevant, leading to Hall's inevitable departure and Eichel's trade demand.

I think there is truth to both takes and the winner will be determined by what happens on the ice.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, I-90 W said:

I don’t think Jack will ask to be traded; they are making real substantial changes to the forward group. Really have a feeling he knows what this city is about and will stay loyal. 

Not to mention, once he tastes Buffalo playoffs atmosphere he will be hooked for sure.

Side note: I know I’m supposed to dislike the Leafs more than any team but my biggest rival for us has always been the Bruins, can’t stand them. 

Boston by far.

Not. Even. Close.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, I-90 W said:

You’re not the only one. 

When I was growing up, the Bruins were the ones always tormenting the Sabres in the playoffs from the mid-80’s to the mid-90’s. 

Then there were incidents like Lucic and Miller, and me being spit on by Bruins fans at a game in Boston which further cemented my dislike of them.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.