Boston sportswriter says Bruins should make Blockbuster offer for Eichel...

matter2003

• nfreeman changed the title to Boston sportswriter says Bruins should make Blockbuster offer for Eichel...

Other team’s fanbase’s are positively drooling over the slightest whiff that Eichel could become available. The hockey downtime is being filled with Buffalo is a tire fire stories and Eichel trade fantasies, most of them based around the idea the Sabres are going to tear it down and build around Dahlin.

If there is a silver lining, it’s really showing us how respected Jack has become around the league.

• Like (+1) 2

the more Sabre fans complain and act like the team is dead in the water the more we will hear crap like this; the truth is that this team has shown flashes of being pretty darn good and with a goalie that actually can see and makes saves, a real legitimate NHL 2nd line center (yes just like ROR), and a power play re-worked that actually scores once in a while, this team will be fine. All great teams are built down the center and our obvious weakness in that position clearly dictates how good (or bad) we do. If we can just add that elusive 2nd center somehow and see Cozens able to play 3rd line maybe next year this team can be very good.     

• Like (+1) 4

Any time a demonstrably good player on a bad team speaks their mind, national-level media, local coverage from other teams, and bloggers rabidly froth at the mouth while pounding their keyboard hot takes of that team giving up that player in some sort of half-assed multiplayer package.  This happens all the time.

There's only one recent case I can remember when all of that nonsense actually came to fruition.

And that GM doesn't work here anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

The hypothetical offer wouldn't even get me to pick up the phone.  Sure, I'll take Beecher and Debrusk, but you are adding Pastranak to that haul, and I'll flip you Risto for Charlie McAvoy.  If I'm nice, I'll even throw a salary cap dump like Okposo or Skinner in there for a 1st rounder. 

Debrusk, Pastrnak, Beecher, 3 first round picks. That is the opening to even keep me on the phone and I honestly don't care if that is an overpayment from Boston, you want Jack Eichel, you are going to be crippled and beaten after the trade. 

• Like (+1) 3

They say the bounty for Eichel should include "John Beecher and restricted free agent winger Jake DeBrusk, along with a robust high draft pick package".  But that it may take "including a young D-man like Charlie McAvoy or Brandon Carlo too".  I would say a deal starts with Pastranak and a credible center - then we can go from there.  Otherwise the Botterill firing may be the 1st positive step the organization has taken since getting Krueger to steer the ship, and getting rid of it's best player for a bunch of complimentary pieces would be self-defeating.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Yawn. No smoke. No fire. Not an issue.... yet.

I agree.   Not yet.  

This is going to be a problem in another year or 2, unless Eichel proves to be almost unbelievably loyal and is willing to sacrifice his career for it.

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

So Boston gets the franchise replacement for Bergeron and we get a bag of magic beans.  Geez that makes sense.  I like McAvoy and Carlo, but that isn't exactly a need. Also McAvoy makes 4.9 mill and Carlo 2.8 for another year and then he'll be getting a raise as well.  DeBrusk is a 40 pt player and frankly LW is also not exactly a need with VO and Skinner on the roster and he is also due a big raise.  Adding Beecher to the list is a joke.  The success rate of bottom of the 1st rd players isn't very good and he certainly isn't a top 6 center, nor is he a need with Mitts, Cozens, Asplund in the system.  By the way Beecher's 1st year at Michigan 16 pts.  Compare this to Mitts 25 pts and Eichel (71 pts).  

Also any of the 1st rd picks we get from Boston, unless they collapse, will be middle to late 1st rd picks.  In addition, according to Dobberprospects.com, the Bears have the 26th best prospect pool in the NHL with Beecher as their 2nd best C prospect.  

The proposed offer is a joke, but then again it's from a Bruins beat reporter making up something to write during COVID.

Also I'd never ever trade someone to the Bruins.  Not now not ever.  (Maybe I'm still pissed about the McNabb trade 50 years ago)

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'd listen to offers....but it has to be the offer that the Sabres "can't say no to".  Something like a player that is almost as good as Eichel (Klye Connor, Aho, Barkhov, Laine,), AND something else of major value (top prospect in their system and a high draft pick) and maybe take a bad contract off the Sabres also.

Basically, the only trade I would look at for the Sabres...the other team has to be looking to trade a Star player for Eichel, who they think could be a bigger star..and they are going to have to pay up extra to make that leap.

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I will throw another thought out there.  What if we win the lottery and get Byfield?  Do we do an Edm Oilers trade away some of the tank spawn and create a team of kids with Cozens, Byfield and Dahlin as the new core?

I suppose the off-season is the time for these kind off theoreticals.  It would be a brave GM that would trade Eichel. A couple of first rounders AND bona-fide star prospects..... its interesting to contemplate nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I'd listen to offers....but it has to be the offer that the Sabres "can't say no to".  Something like a player that is almost as good as Eichel (Klye Connor, Aho, Barkhov, Laine,), AND something else of major value (top prospect in their system and a high draft pick) and maybe take a bad contract off the Sabres also.

Basically, the only trade I would look at for the Sabres...the other team has to be looking to trade a Star player for Eichel, who they think could be a bigger star..and they are going to have to pay up extra to make that leap.

Laine? Oh ***** no

50 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I will throw another thought out there.  What if we win the lottery and get Byfield?  Do we do an Edm Oilers trade away some of the tank spawn and create a team of kids with Cozens, Byfield and Dahlin as the new core?

Ok, I'll play along. Give me a team that calls to inquire about eichel. I'll go from there. 

I mean, if a team wants to give us a Forsberg, Ricci, Hextall, Simon, Duchesne, $15 million, and a Thibeault to trade for a Roy, sure. 

Assuming we have a Sakic, Nolan, and Sundin already on our roster, of course. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Rags? Or King’s or WpG?

Rangers don't have the prospects, nhl talent, or draft capital for this trade. They don't have enough things to even peak my interest. I'll look at the kings and Winnipeg tomorrow. 

I think this is one of those wish fulfillment stories some reporters like to throw out there from time to time in the hope they can create a fire from the smoke. There is absolutely no way this happens unless Eichel has secretly demanded a trade and only the Pegulas (and Adams now) know about it and have virtually no option but to try and make a workable version happen.

In that scenario Bruins would part with an inconsistent like DeBrusk , maybe Carlo (but I doubt it as he's Chara Jr. for them), probably an unproven like Beecher, but not McAvoy and not Pastrnak, no way. They'd want Pasta on Eichel's wing. They'd throw the Sabres any number of draft picks, 3 or 4 firsts maybe even, but there'd also have to be some sort of cap dump to the Sabres or somewhere else like Krejci or others. Bruins would love to have Eichel, who wouldn't? But they aren't going to destroy their roster just for one homeboy no matter how good he is. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.