Auston Matthews Tests Positive for Covid 19

Brawndo

15 hours ago, Weave said:

THat is becoming more widely discussed.  Yes, it seems most evidence points to longer time exposure in relatively stagnant air environments as the greatest risk.  Office settings sound like super environments for this.  But I haven't heard that asymptomatic people aren't contagious.  From what I've understood, the insideous part of the disease is the potential for spread by asymptomatic people.

Right - and/or presymptomatic.

18 hours ago, Radar said:

Still be can spread it to more vulnerable people. We are risking this. I know many don't seem to care but isn't it time to cancel these sports seasons? 

I still believe they are going to sort of cancel themselves.

The owners of these leagues are going to do everything in their power to keep the money faucet running.

But once they go far enough down the path, as I said earlier, I think the virus will spread.

Once it does and some stars get the virus, public perception might start to change, it will become a bad look for the leagues to continue going forward (putting money ahead of lives) and that will be that.

I've been saying since April that the NFL season will NOT play out as planned, starting in early September.

We'll see if I'm right.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ubkev said:

Sports are done, guys.

As we approach the beginning of the 4th week of June, it looks like the NHL’s plan to finish this season is looking bleak....which is okay with me.  Just shelf the season, and hope that come October the 20-21 season can begin on time.  

Edited by LabattBlue

Here ya go: (see Fact #3)

https://jbhandleyblog.com/home/lockdownlunacy?

This is a fascinating read, and gives an entirely different perspective than we have gotten from our public officials or MSM.  As a physician, I feel that the emerging data cited in this blog should be paid attention to, and should alleviate many people's fears.  We shouldn't stop using common sense, nor stop good hygiene habits (i.e., hand washing!).  However, COVID-19 is also unlikely to kill even a fraction of the number of people as was predicted by public health policy makers early on.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, ParkMeadow said:

This is a fascinating read, and gives an entirely different perspective than we have gotten from our public officials or MSM.  As a physician, I feel that the emerging data cited in this blog should be paid attention to, and should alleviate many people's fears.  We shouldn't stop using common sense, nor stop good hygiene habits (i.e., hand washing!).  However, COVID-19 is also unlikely to kill even a fraction of the number of people as was predicted by public health policy makers early on.

He kinda lost me at “fact” #1.

In only a few months, we’re at double the number of deaths in this country, while on full lockdown, as one of the worst flu seasons a couple of years ago,... but it’s in line with the seasonal flu. Someone needs to recheck their math.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ParkMeadow said:

I read “fact” #1. I’ll mirror @SwampD’s thoughts on that one.

I read “fact” #2. On tonight’s news, DeSantis was lamenting the explosion of cases in people under 40. Their hospitals are at capacity and things are getting worse. 

I also read “fact” #3(which is where I stopped reading). How are we supposed to take an anecdotal account of a single asymptomatic as evidence that a ALL asymptomatic people haven’t transmitted? 

That phrase “emerging evidence” doesn’t stir me either. Science doesn’t emerge. It take long hours, tons of funding and personal dedication to get to the evidence that verifies the science.

I’ll keep wearing my mask and staying the F away from all y’all. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

As we approach the beginning of the 4th week of June, it looks like the NHL’s plan to finish this season is looking bleak....which is okay with me.  Just shelf the season, and hope that come October the 20-21 season can begin on time.  

At some point the financial losses are going to hurt and that will start lawsuits over who is and isn't going to be paid. Would not be surprised to see sports francises go bankrupt before too long, just to get out of paying when not playing 

44 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

At some point the financial losses are going to hurt and that will start lawsuits over who is and isn't going to be paid. Would not be surprised to see sports francises go bankrupt before too long, just to get out of paying when not playing 

The players aren’t getting paid if there are no games.  I would think that very few people get paid if there are no games.  Not a lot of people will have work to do without any games happening.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

The players aren’t getting paid if there are no games.  I would think that very few people get paid if there are no games.  Not a lot of people will have work to do without any games happening.

Very well paid front office personnel do

On 6/20/2020 at 5:10 PM, ParkMeadow said:

JB Handley is a huge anti-vaxxer, btw.

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

JB Handley is a huge anti-vaxxer, btw.

Yes, I know.  I certainly do not endorse everything he says in the Lockdown blog, but it does supply information that is counter to that fed to us by official sources.  I feel that one should read as much as possible from multiple sources and then draw your own well-informed conclusions.

There is no scientifically based reason for many of the mandates, which makes them appear very arbitrary and open to question.  We will be able to judge the wisdom of the response to COVID-19 only in hindsight.

1 minute ago, ParkMeadow said:

Yes, I know.  I certainly do not endorse everything he says in the Lockdown blog, but it does supply information that is counter to that fed to us by official sources.  I feel that one should read as much as possible from multiple sources and then draw your own well-informed conclusions.

There is no scientifically based reason for many of the mandates, which makes them appear very arbitrary and open to question.  We will be able to judge the wisdom of the response to COVID-19 only in hindsight.

My sense is that the COVID-19 is a massively complicated, intensely nuanced problem, or set of problems. Handley's assessment of the matter is highly reductive and quite self-assured. To him, the answers are clear and the solutions are simple. I'm generally distrustful of people who speak in such terms.

I'm sure that all kinds of mistakes are being made (both errors and omissions), and many of them will be judged harshly with the benefit of hindsight. In the meantime, we'll do our best to muddle along.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:39 PM, Sabre fan said:

and what about long-term effects??? this virus attacks your organs and does who knows what long-term damage that may show up down the road...hockey players exert an incredible amount of energy and rely on stamina and strength (unlike many other sports) and if they are effected physically that could easily end their careers

They now believe it is a blood vessel virus which is why so many people are having serious blood clotting issues and other blood vessel related issues...

Many of the people who are on ventilators can't breathe because their lungs are filled with mini blood clots...

On 6/20/2020 at 5:10 PM, ParkMeadow said:

The problem is unlike the flu this can leave life long damage to the body even in people who have fully recovered. Organ damage, blood pressure problems, blood clotting issues, as well as a whole host of other things they keep finding...

It isn't just deaths they are concerned about, it's also the much higher rate of people who suffer permanent damage to their bodies from it.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:32 PM, Kruppstahl said:

I don't know how they aren't all going to contract the virus, once they start spending enough time around each other all the time.

Sweating, sharing towels, spitting every 3 seconds (Sam Reinhart, I'm talking about you), sharing water bottles, breathing the same air in a small interior space, etc.

That goes for pretty much all sports once they start trying to play.

Except for breathing and sweating, all those other things will not be allowed when they start playing again.....

On 6/20/2020 at 4:10 PM, ParkMeadow said:

It's the leading cause of death in the US right now.  Don't minimize it.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:10 AM, ParkMeadow said:

There is no scientifically based reason for many of the mandates

There is strong empirical evidence that masks work.  Just look at Taiwan, Japan, Austria (who was sliding down the Italy slope and stopped it with mandatory mask use).  There is plenty of evidence.  If we, as a nation, choose to ignore what the rest of the world has successfully implemented, that heaven help us.

14 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

^

The Scandinavian countries have not required masks for those not feeling ill.

Honestly, there's so much that's so unclear right now.

That said, wagering on mask-wearing being helpful seems like an easy thing to do.

Sweden's curve looks a lot like ours. It is 16th in the world in cases per million people. The U.S. is 10th. The other two Scandinavian countries, Denmark and Norway, have done a lot better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.