Auston Matthews Tests Positive for Covid 19

Brawndo

Ari-corona-zona.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per reports.

He is asymptomatic though 

From what I recall, this may be part of what makes the virus so pernicious -- it expresses in such a widely varying way within populations (from no symptoms, to lethal symptoms).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The question is how many people did he infect?

#testeverybody

and what about long-term effects??? this virus attacks your organs and does who knows what long-term damage that may show up down the road...hockey players exert an incredible amount of energy and rely on stamina and strength (unlike many other sports) and if they are effected physically that could easily end their careers

11 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

and what about long-term effects??? this virus attacks your organs and does who knows what long-term damage that may show up down the road...hockey players exert an incredible amount of energy and rely on stamina and strength (unlike many other sports) and if they are effected physically that could easily end their careers

I would not wish that on anyone, but if I did it surely would be that snot nosed brat Auston Matthews.

I don't know how they aren't all going to contract the virus, once they start spending enough time around each other all the time.

Sweating, sharing towels, spitting every 3 seconds (Sam Reinhart, I'm talking about you), sharing water bottles, breathing the same air in a small interior space, etc.

That goes for pretty much all sports once they start trying to play.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Per reports.

He is asymptomatic though 

Still be can spread it to more vulnerable people. We are risking this. I know many don't seem to care but isn't it time to cancel these sports seasons? 

12 minutes ago, Ross Rhea said:

Maybe asymptomatic positive tests mean the person doesnt currently have corona but has already had it. 

No.  It’s a test for the virus.  If you test positive for it, it means the virus is in your body, you have it.

An antibody test checks for antibodies that your body would have created if you had it in the past.  So that would tell you if you used to have it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ari-corona-zona.

From what I recall, this may be part of what makes the virus so pernicious -- it expresses in such a widely varying way within populations (from no symptoms, to lethal symptoms).

asymptomatic is almost proven not to transmit.   But like I said a month ago, just cancel the year and start fresh in november.   Or we can all live by the fact some teams won't play with their best players from time to time.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

asymptomatic is almost proven not to transmit.   But like I said a month ago, just cancel the year and start fresh in november.   Or we can all live by the fact some teams won't play with their best players from time to time.

To quote myself and thinking about it some more, a positive player probably is out 3 weeks minimum.   Do we want playoffs like that ? 

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

I haven’t seem that claimed anywhere.  Link?

I’ve seen that reported as well - sorry no link right now.

Also read that contaminated surface transmission is not a big concern — it’s prolonged exposure in proximity and unventilated areas that is the big issue. Which is why that slightly feverish member of a church choir — out west? (Oregon?) — was a super spreader.

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’ve seen that reported as well - sorry no link right now.

Also read that contaminated surface transmission is not a big concern — it’s prolonged exposure in proximity and unventilated areas that is the big issue. Which is why that slightly feverish member of a church choir — out west? (Oregon?) — was a super spreader.

THat is becoming more widely discussed.  Yes, it seems most evidence points to longer time exposure in relatively stagnant air environments as the greatest risk.  Office settings sound like super environments for this.  But I haven't heard that asymptomatic people aren't contagious.  From what I've understood, the insideous part of the disease is the potential for spread by asymptomatic people.

• Like (+1) 1

Finishing the season or starting the 24 team playoffs is a pipedream. Nothing is starting up till 2021. That second wave is already rolling through. Gary Bettman can go pound sand. Maybe the Pegulas foresee a no go scenario with the startup and pulled the rug on employees for that eventuality. They weren’t in it anyways. 

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

Finishing the season or starting the 24 team playoffs is a pipedream. Nothing is starting up till 2021. That second wave is already rolling through. Gary Bettman can go pound sand. Maybe the Pegulas foresee a no go scenario with the startup and pulled the rug on employees for that eventuality. They weren’t in it anyways. 

Second wave? First wave has not stopped.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

6 hours ago, SDS said:

Second wave? First wave has not stopped.

There are two ways to view a wave: from a person standing in the water's perspective or from the wave's.  Like throwing pebbles in the water, a wave propagates out from the points of origin.  From the point of view of a person (say, a city or state, in this case), you could argue that someplace like NYC is done with the first wave and potentially looking at a second wave coming.  From the point of view of the wave, the first wave has moved out from the initial hot spot cities to other areas of the country, so it continues.  Looking at total cases for the country, in one so large (in physical size), yet spread out (in terms of population masses) as ours gives a much less useful picture, because the waves seen at various locations are lost in this discussion.

COVID-NY-AZ-USA.thumb.png.34befa29d79e444fd1ab60661956ef12.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.