Sabrespace Help Guide For Kevyn Adams

GASabresIUFAN

I have OHL season’s tickets so I think I could make a contribution to amateur scouting, I am after all an amateur.

We all have ideas as armchair GMs, we could have made better and worse decisions than the last two guys. (I know I would not have drafted Nylander.) With a solid mentor, a few people with “expertise” in some areas, a good leader could probably have done better, we will never know but the bar is pretty low.

I’m willing to give Adams some time and hope he is a good leader and has the cojones to pull the trigger when needed. Other GMs may think they can take advantage of him and he could play that card to get a gem or two.

I guess the last few paragraphs belong in another thread but my fingers were running...

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Since the Pegulas don't seem willing to give you an real help in your new job, I'd like to offer the collective wisdom of this excellent board to help you in your new endeavor.

@rakish and @LGR4GM your in charge of scouting and draft prep.

@tom webster your are in charge of prospect development 

@Brawndo you are in charge of PR

@SDS you are in charge of technology

@dudacek, @Randall Flagg, @Weave, @pi2000, @Curt, @Thorny, @nfreeman, @freester and anyone else who like to participate please let me know in what areas in the organization you'd like to work to help Kevyn out. Roster construction, pro scouting, analytics, player acquisition, and free agent negotiation, the team needs help in all these areas.  They also need help in finding coaches for Rochester and hopefully an Ast GM.

I plan to help in cap management.

To that end what's our plan?  We need a draft list, a list of potential FA acquisitions, a list of potential trade targets, contracts for our RFAs and any UFAs we want to retain, a list of buyout candidates (both internal and external) if there is a compliance buyout and a list of potential external cap casualties.  

Ok lets get to work.  I'm serious by the way.  I'd love to see the lists we come up with as a group.  I have a feeling we'll do a better job then Adams and his staff such as it is. 

Another case of ageism.  

My four Stanley Cups, and my rapid, exciting, and successful construction of the Sabres means nothing.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

In an interview Adams mentioned possibly looking for people who could  fill roles as part of both scouting and analytics.  I think that in order to bridge that gap between analytics and traditional scouting, integrating the two together in player evaluations, getting people who can understand both at a high level is key.

I would like to see the Sabres really lean into that organizational philosophy moving forward and I actually think there are a lot of people  who could help with this who are not employed by NHL teams.  Go get em Kevy!

Edited by Curt

My first assignment with regards to prospect development would be to get rid of our AHL and ECHL affiliations likely saving around $20M per year.

Low rates prospects would be left with their junior teams or colleges for the duration or play in Europe.

Then, I would consult with my CBA guru Taro; How can I keep my top 10 prospects in Buffalo Monday through Fridays and then Loan then to other AHL teams on the weekend? They would spend Monday through Friday undergoing extensive coaching, dietary training, psychological training and doing on ice drills with the best teaching coaches I could hire.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/20/2020 at 3:19 PM, tom webster said:

My first assignment with regards to prospect development would be to get rid of our AHL and ECHL affiliations likely saving around $20M per year.

Low rates prospects would be left with their junior teams or colleges for the duration or play in Europe.

Then, I would consult with my CBA guru Taro; How can I keep my top 10 prospects in Buffalo Monday through Fridays and then Loan then to other AHL teams on the weekend? They would spend Monday through Friday undergoing extensive coaching, dietary training, psychological training and doing on ice drills with the best teaching coaches I could hire.

Very interesting.  Wouldn't you be worried that loaning them out would mean little PT in the AHL hurting their development since they don't get to practice with their AHL teammates?

What about keeping the AHL team but as a policy leaving kids in college for a 3 year minimum and CHL players to include their overage year?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Very interesting.  Wouldn't you be worried that loaning them out would mean little PT in the AHL hurting their development since they don't get to practice with their AHL teammates?

What about keeping the AHL team but as a policy leaving kids in college for a 3 year minimum and CHL players to include their overage year?

I don’t believe playing in the AHL is necessary toward their development. 

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

I don’t believe playing in the AHL is necessary toward their development. 

Not sure I agree, but i can understand why you feel that way.  I thought guys like Roy, Pominville, Miller and Campbell really benefited from time in the A, but in today's environment, maybe it isn't as important.

What does the final draft board looking like? @Rakish?

Any have a list of UFAs that there are interesting in the Sabres signing?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.