Carcillo Lawsuit: Abuse in the Junior Leagues

IKnowPhysics

Dan Carcillo and Garrett Taylor have formed a class action lawsuit against the OHL and QMJHL for “hazing, bullying, physical and verbal harassment, physical assault, sexual harassment, and sexual assault.”

The allegations are horrific and sexual in nature.  Be advised.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/more-explosive-and-shocking-allegations-against-junior-hockey-in-newly-filed-lawsuit

According the lawsuit, players in the class were, among other things, forced to ***** in front of teammates and coaches and forced to sexually assault teammates, to consume saliva, urine, ***** and feces of other players and to sexually engage with animals. It is also alleged that players had heavy objects tied to their genitals, had their genitals dipped in irritants and toxic liquids and had objects such as hockey sticks, brooms and food forced into their anuses. It is also alleged that players were forced to consume large amounts of alcohol and illicit drugs.

Among the instances of abuse outlined by Carcillo in the statement of claim were the following:

* During showers, rookies were required sit in the middle of the shower room naked while the older players urinated, spat saliva and tobacco chew on them. At least once, the head coach (Perry) walked into the shower room while this was occurring, laughed and walked out.

* Rookies were repetitively hit on their bare buttocks with a sawed off goalie stick, developing large welts and open sores. The injuries were so bad that they couldn’t sit down, even while attending local high school classes. They advised team staff of this abuse, which did not stop.

* On road trips, rookies would be stripped naked and sent into the bus bathroom, eight at a time. The older players would tape the boys’ clothes up in a ball, which were thrown into the bathroom. The boys were not allowed out until they were dressed, which could take hours. Older players would pour chew, saliva, and urine on them through the bathroom vents. This took place in front of coaches and trainers.

* Rookies had to bob for apples in a cooler filled with the older players’ urine, saliva and other bodily fluids.

* The older players would put the rookies in a laundry bin on wheels, four at a time. They would run the laundry bin into a wall as fast as it could go. Players suffered injuries including being knocked unconscious. It was called the “Rookie Rocket.”

* Older players would organize orgies at house parties. Rookies were required to take part in sexual acts while the older players watched and took part.

* The head coach walked in on a naked rookie taped to a table with his buttocks in the air. Older players were whipping him with a belt. The head coach took part, whipped the child and laughed while the boy cried.

* The head coach, assistant coaches and league officials knew of the abuse.

* An informal investigation took place by OHL and/or CHL agents, but no findings were released, abusers were not punished and no steps were taken to address the abuse; and,

* Racist, sexist and homophobic slurs were repeatedly directed at rookie players and were used on a daily basis.

Among the instances of abuse laid out by Taylor in the statement of claim are the following:

* During team practices, the head coach took Taylor aside and demanded that he fight other 16 or 17 year old players in order to increase the “intensity” level of the team. This took place numerous times. Taylor was seriously concussed during one fight in practice and he and other team members suffered other injuries during such fights.

* The head coach provided the team credit card to one of the older players to buy alcohol for the team “rookie party”. The 16- and 17-year-old rookies were required to dress up in women’s clothing and were forced to consume large amounts of alcohol, to the point of blacking out and vomiting.

* When Taylor was “sent down” to the Jr. A team in Canmore after the first two games of the 2009-2010 season, he received what is euphemistically referred to throughout the Leagues as the “garbage bag treatment.” The team and staff were on the team bus waiting to leave for a road trip. Immediately before leaving, Taylor was told in front of the entire team and staff that he was being cut from the team. He was told in a humiliating fashion to get off the bus, to retrieve his bag and to report to Canmore. He was not given any money or any further direction. His parents were not notified.

* Racist, sexist and homophobic slurs were repeatedly directed at rookie players and were used on a daily basis.

If true and if pervasive to the junior leagues, I would believe this systemic psychological torture impacted many people over the years, including Sabres prospects.  I hope those that were impacted have sought and received the help and support they needed.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

This is horrific.

Especially considering that parents paid large amounts of money to send these children far from home to pursue a dream.  Entrusting the day to day care of their kids to responsible adults who would look after them.........

I can not imagine how a parent would feel to learn, years later, that their 15, 16, 17 year old kid went through things like this.  That these environments were allowed to exist is mind boggling.

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Sucks to your assmar 

Thy cycle of abuse. You're abused horribly as a rookie. Completely dehumanized. Broken down and made to feel completely worthless. Then to regain your sense of worth you turn around and do it to the next weakest kid and then the next one and the next one, just to build back up what was taken from you. Then you get to go to the show! Then when it's all over, you come back to coaching and you laugh as you see what you were a part of come full circle. You tell yourself that this is making them stronger. Then you help your son get ready for his Bantam draft.

9 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Thy cycle of abuse. You're abused horribly as a rookie. Completely dehumanized. Broken down and made to feel completely worthless. Then to regain your sense of worth you turn around and do it to the next weakest kid and then the next one and the next one, just to build back up what was taken from you. Then you get to go to the show! Then when it's all over, you come back to coaching and you laugh as you see what you were a part of come full circle. You tell yourself that this is making them stronger. Then you help your son get ready for his Bantam draft.

I used Lord of the Flies for pretty much every essay question on every test in every subject, even in college. You can apply stuff from that book anywhere. People are messed up.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I used Lord of the Flies for pretty much every essay question on every test in every subject, even in college. You can apply stuff from that book anywhere. People are messed up.

Ya know, I never had to read it! I Cliff Notes'd it to be able to understand the references. 

21 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's worth the read. Just messed up, but also infinitely quotable. 

I'll give it a shot. 

But back to the thread. I wish this weren't true. But I give Carcillo a lot of credibility because I believe that he's gotten a lot of help throughout the years and he's trying to pay it forward. All of these coaches and trainers need to be taken down. We need actual leaders to lead our young boys and men.

Yes, I bet! 

“left (Carcillo) permanently traumatized. He suffered severe mental health issues which were not present before the abuse he endured. He continues to suffer from these mental health issues to this day.”

Young men get treated this way and we wonder why they go out at parties and rapes happen. 

The pressure to win is so great that they have to mentally destroy these young men so they have a slave mentality? This is horrible 

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I can't read what IKP posted without becoming ill, but I can say that that I know the gist of it and that nothing has surprised me since I learned of the Mike Danton / David Frost incident.

This is pretty much where I am on this one too.

34 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I can't read what IKP posted without becoming ill, but I can say that that I know the gist of it and that nothing has surprised me since I learned of the Mike Danton / David Frost incident.

This sounds really big and widespread just judging from the article. Parents must be horrified to learn they sent their boys off to this. 

I hope the press does its job and presses for more answers about this. If it is widespread then people need to held accountable and players need to speak up. They need to speak up to protect the next group of innocents from being thrown into this  nightmare. 

There's no reason to not put some level of belief in what is being reported.  These types of stories come out regarding college athletics, fraternities, sororities, and other clubs of exclusivity where people want so much to belong or to make it that they are willing to put up with this stuff.  It's terrible that people are put in a position of "give up what you love, or be dehumanized"...

It's disgusting.  There's really no right word for it so I am just going to use disgusting.

As for this situation, I've no reason to doubt any of it.  Not one bit.  It's.... disgusting.

9 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I don’t think I could keep someone With that in their past in my employ.  I get that people change.  I get the idea of redemption and second chances.  Buy I wouldn’t be able to see that person the same way again after discovering this.

• Like (+1) 1

really this is just the tip of the iceberg...this whole bloody stupid "hazing" or "initiation" has been going on in various levels (sports, education through schools, even work) where kids are blatantly abused, made to do absolutely absurd things and have even had things done to them that led to their deaths... we had a Toronto famous college recently have 3 students legally charged for making new kids do absolutely repulsive things...this is so revolting and disgusting

I’ve heard of some revolting incidents of hazing from a friend who played in the junior ranks of hockey and is now a police officer. I won’t get into it in detail but its sexual in nature which is prolly the most dehumanizing way to haze a younger, naive and vulnerable person. I’m not sure if this destructive form of bullying and abuse is still happening but I doubt its gone completely. Repulsive is a good word for the shite I’ve heard about.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.