Adam Mair: Amerks Next HC?

WildCard

Just now, WildCard said:

Obviously take it with a grain of salt, it could be Mair planting the word in hopes of an interview, but...

If that's the case - maybe they're trying to promote hard workers and cut the people who were seemingly coasting? 

Nobody wants to go to a company that fires people like that- but if they promote good dedicated people, they might be trying to create an environment where they reward good performance.  

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

If that's the case - maybe they're trying to promote hard workers and cut the people who were seemingly coasting? 

Nobody wants to go to a company that fires people like that- but if they promote good dedicated people, they might be trying to create an environment where they reward good performance.  

That seems to be the main takeaway. 

9 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I thought Chris Taylor was both dedicated and a good performer. Out of all the blood letting, I thought Taylor was the least fair firing.

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I thought Chris Taylor was both dedicated and a good performer. Out of all the blood letting, I thought Taylor was the least fair firing.

If they promote from within then i guess it makes sense in a way.  Maybe it was rushed - but if Mair (or someone) is who they want running their AHL and development, it makes it difficult to keep Taylor.  

I'm not sure i draw the "they need to win in the AHL" narrative that's been constantly pushed.  I see it as - young players need to learn how to play complete hockey.  I don't know that there's a huge correlation of being a good hockey player, to winning in the AHL.  

21 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I think you mean dumbest.

If they want to hire Mair.  Whatever.  No reason not to give him a try.  He was a hard working Sabre and seems to have worked hard for the organization. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

26 minutes ago, Tondas said:

He may well be, but this move seems to be an effort to get someone more in synch with Krueger's coaching style and philosophy.

Taylor is probably gone on Krueger's recommendation more than anything else.

32 minutes ago, tom webster said:

The AHL firings are purely difference in philosophy. They spent over $5M on AHL veterans. Sexton and Taylor believed in building a winning “culture.” Adams and Krueger see it as more of an extended coaching and development camp.

The TM approach.  That worked great.  Not!

So to sum up the new regime.  We are going to use the Quinn approach to internal costs, the Regier approach to scouting and the TM approach to prospect development in Rochester all under the watchful eye of a rookie GM and incompetent ownership.  This is so awful it’s bound to work. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

Taylor got swept in the first round of the playoffs two years running. Oh well. I also think he won't be unemployed very long.

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

Taylor got swept in the first round of the playoffs two years running. Oh well. I also think he won't be unemployed very long.

I agree, he won't be unemployed for long.  But, having been through this before, coming home and telling your wife you've been fired is one of the most difficult things to do in your life.  These guys are humans with families.who will likely have to relocate.  I wish him the best.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I agree, he won't be unemployed for long.  But, having been through this before, coming home and telling your wife you've been fired is one of the most difficult things to do in your life.  These guys are humans with families.who will likely have to relocate.  I wish him the best.

But was he really fired?  Offically yes.  But his contract was up on June 30th.   AHL uncertainty, reportedly a very expensive salary comparatively, results in Playoffs mentioned above and little hopes of pulling  a Sheldon Keefe as ownership seems  happy with RaKru.   Let's say he was negotiating a 15-20% raise with JB before this went down.  If there is a strong chance the AHL season is cancelled, what is the impetus for his extension?   I'd like to know how many of those scouts contracts were also up on 6/30.   That might help explain why the bloodletting was so deep.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Adam Mair, Matt Ellis, Kevyn Adams...

who is going to be left to run the hockey daycare academy?

Plenty of options here given Tim Connolly, Clarke MacAurthur, Nathan Paetsch, Francois Methot and Stephen Gionta are coaching in Rochester for the Jr. Amerks.  

But looks Mendola is actually it - https://www.lecomharborcenter.com/academy-of-hockey/staff

Does anyone really think there is going to be an AHL season? 

That’s why these guys were let go. Ticket sales drives this league that isn’t going to happen with the country as a whole having hotspots of infections.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, tom webster said:

The AHL firings are purely difference in philosophy. They spent over $5M on AHL veterans. Sexton and Taylor believed in building a winning “culture.” Adams and Krueger see it as more of an extended coaching and development camp.

Yup. I'm on board with their thinking and i think over time fans will come around too, essp after they begin to re-stock their hockey department and it isn't just no name guys. However, i don't know much of him post his hockey days, but if Adam Mair gets the Amerks job, i am not sure too many fans will be buying in to that idea.

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Adam Mair, Matt Ellis, Kevyn Adams...

who is going to be left to run the hockey daycare academy?

Brian Gionta.

There s nothing wrong with winning in the AHL and establishing a winning culture as long as you develop players too.  Is $5M spent on AHL Vets too much?   Maybe in a Covid environment but not in the original environment that Pegula established and supported.  

Taylor seemed to be a solid hickey coach and was about to get a raise.  Maybe RK endorsed the move, maybe not?  Bottom line is saving money with all the uncertainty around us.  The next AHL coaching staff will likely be lower paid and less experienced.  

Taylor was lauded for ability to develop?  He did ok with 

Taylor was a rookie head coach, so the next coach won’t be less experienced than he was.

I am of the opinion he was primarily let go not because of his job performance, but because his contract was expiring and it might be another year until his skills are needed.

I also think that Krueger and Adams might have kept him on if they thought as highly of him as the fan base does. They clearly believe that when It comes time to fill the Amerks head coaching position there will be as good, or better candidates available.

• Like (+1) 2

Just one note on possibly favoring development over winning aka “don’t bring in so many pricey ahl vets”. 

If the team is getting caved in night after night because of the need to make the organization leaner, how is that good for prospect development except for learning to chase the other team with the puck all night long?

Edited by LabattBlue

23 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The TM approach.  That worked great.  Not!

So to sum up the new regime.  We are going to use the Quinn approach to internal costs, the Regier approach to scouting and the TM approach to prospect development in Rochester all under the watchful eye of a rookie GM and incompetent ownership.  This is so awful it’s bound to work. 

I’m nominating @GASabresIUFAN as captain of Team Stormcloud 2.0. 

And I’m starting his tenure with a friendly wager:  I’ll bet the Sabres finish with at least 90 pts next year, which will represent a material improvement over the 80 they projected to finish with in JB’s final season.

$20 to the charity of the winner’s choosing?

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

There s nothing wrong with winning in the AHL and establishing a winning culture as long as you develop players too.  Is $5M spent on AHL Vets too much?   Maybe in a Covid environment but not in the original environment that Pegula established and supported.  

Taylor seemed to be a solid hickey coach and was about to get a raise.  Maybe RK endorsed the move, maybe not?  Bottom line is saving money with all the uncertainty around us.  The next AHL coaching staff will likely be lower paid and less experienced.  

I think if RK had wanted to keep Taylor, they would’ve kept Taylor.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I’m nominating @GASabresIUFAN as captain of Team Stormcloud 2.0. 

And I’m starting his tenure with a friendly wager:  I’ll bet the Sabres finish with at least 90 pts next year, which will represent a material improvement over the 80 they projected to finish with in JB’s final season.

$20 to the charity of the winner’s choosing?

Boy, those were the days.

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with this.  I think RK will play a much bigger role, even thought he just said he came here to be a coach.  He will have a lot of say on players coming and going.  

From watching and listening to him last year I get a good feel about him.  He just might be the guy to turn this around. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.