Killing off 'tooth — hilarious or PR disaster?

PASabreFan

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Anwyho... what should the next Sabres mascot be? I love snark, but I think it's a serious question. Sabrepede? No. Seriously, what would be up there with the brilliant Flyers rebrand of Gritty?

Shark Girl.  Only possible answer.

Rob Ray is already the team mascot.  They should make a stuffed animal character of him and have that guy rappelling from the ceiling, shooting T shirts into the crowd, and stealing food from the fans. 

He’d out gritty Gritty.

Edited by Weave

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Anwyho... what should the next Sabres mascot be? I love snark, but I think it's a serious question. Sabrepede? No. Seriously, what would be up there with the brilliant Flyers rebrand of Gritty?

Was it a rebrand though? They didn’t actually have a mascot before, right?

oh, and be careful what you wish for because you might end up with Billy Buffalo. 

By the decades...

70’s Sabres mascot would have been a dashing, smiling Musketeer, gleaming rapier and all.

80’s mascot would have been a symbol of futility.  Maybe a British WWI soldier from the battle of Golipoli (sp?). 

90’s and 2000’s brings us Sabretooth, young, brash, exciting, and entertaining.

2010’s mascot should have been Eeyore.

2020’s?  Oscar the Grouch maybe?

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

1D149042-32C3-48F5-8887-0ED1862B8873.jpeg

0C19CFE2-C2F3-4B1E-A6BB-12DEB41AB9B3.png

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

They actually did a pretty good job coming up with "Sabre Tooth".  

Our nickname is an inanimate object, so it's kind of tough to turn that into an animate caricature that can walk around, like if we were named the Bears or Lions.

The "Sabre" part of our name doesn't really lend itself to any animate mascot I can think of, other than what they already came up with.

So then you are left to work with the Buffalo end...which could be used as a basis for a cute and cuddly bison type of mascot, I guess.

I would suggest ditching the mascot entirely, but introducing "ice girls" who go out and scrape up the ice during commercial breaks.  Some of them around the league are absolutely fantastic.

Edited by Kruppstahl

1 hour ago, Weave said:

By the decades...

70’s Sabres mascot would have been a dashing, smiling Musketeer, gleaming rapier and all.

80’s mascot would have been a symbol of futility.  Maybe a British WWI soldier from the battle of Golipoli (sp?). 

90’s and 2000’s brings us Sabretooth, young, brash, exciting, and entertaining.

2010’s mascot should have been Eeyore.

2020’s?  Oscar the Grouch maybe?

Not sure this works as a mascot, per se, but it could definitely be used as a new crest for our uniforms.

No, it's not a sabre, but you get the idea.  

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Kruppstahl

25 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

They actually did a pretty good job coming up with "Sabre Tooth".  

Our nickname is an inanimate object, so it's kind of tough to turn that into an animate caricature that can walk around, like if we were named the Bears or Lions.

The "Sabre" part of our name doesn't really lend itself to any animate mascot I can think of, other than what they already came up with.

So then you are left to work with the Buffalo end...which could be used as a basis for a cute and cuddly bison type of mascot, I guess.

I would suggest ditching the mascot entirely, but introducing "ice girls" who go out and scrape up the ice during commercial breaks.  Some of them around the league are absolutely fantastic.

No inanimate objects?  Peter Puck would like to have a word with you.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

I am in no way exaggerating when I say the people advocating getting rid of Sabretooth are literally worse than Hitler.

What is needed is a second mascot to help cheering in the sections Sabretooth isn't in. My idea:

giraffe GIF

This would be a major step down for Tage, dunno if he's gonna go for it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/19/2020 at 2:39 PM, Kruppstahl said:

Maybe a hybrid approach:

Woman-s-Halloween-Accessories-Sexy-Anima

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/18/2020 at 12:42 PM, DarthEbriate said:

Now is not the time for billionaires to make light of job loss. The ownership has often seemed out of touch with the regular populace -- "lifestyle" comments, etc. The optics of this would not help them.

Things that are not the problem with the Sabres operation: 1. Eichel. 2. Sabretooth.

Correction: 1. Eichel. 2. Dahlin. 3. Olafsson. 4. Reinhart. 5. Sabretooth.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.