Killing off 'tooth — hilarious or PR disaster?

PASabreFan

To burst the balloon of tension and to signal that a new era of Sabres hockey is at hand, what about putting out a Tweet saying that Sabretooth got struck and killed by a car last night (pics for sale via PayPal), and the search for a new mascot is underway. Does anyone really love Sabretooth that much? Where's he ever gotten us? If I were Adams, I try to cut loose some of the things indelibly attached to losing, and what better way to start than to kill off the creature that's been banging a drum throughout all of it?

Fans could send in videos of themselves as the new mascot. You could have a vote. If the ass-broomed Pegulas would lighten up a bit, they could have something even better than Gritty, with the resultant PR boost. It could show they have a sense of humor and don't take themselves too seriously.

OTOH... haha. It could, and probably would, be seen as making light of all of the people whose lives have actually been run over by recent staffing changes.

• Like (+1) 1

This ownership seems utterly blind to the interests/perspective of fans.

A funny, clever, mascot sort of PR/marketing stunt is unlikely to happen.

personally, I don't give a rat's ass about any mascot they may or may not have.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

OTOH... haha. It could, and probably would, be seen as making light of all of the people whose lives have actually been run over by recent staffing changes.

Now is not the time for billionaires to make light of job loss. The ownership has often seemed out of touch with the regular populace -- "lifestyle" comments, etc. The optics of this would not help them.

Things that are not the problem with the Sabres operation: 1. Eichel. 2. Sabretooth.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Now is not the time for billionaires to make light of job loss. The ownership has often seemed out of touch with the regular populace -- "lifestyle" comments, etc. The optics of this would not help them.

Things that are not the problem with the Sabres operation: 1. Eichel. 2. Sabretooth.

OK, I'll give you that.

But I am still holding out Vlad Sobotka as the Number One cause of our problems.

?

They should bring in GMTM & GMJB look-alikes who perform slapstick comedy like Laurel & Hardy.  They could have fan drawings to win the opportunity to bop them over the heads with a giant inflatable Sabres mallet.

Edited by Indabuff
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the Sabres need to do more fun marketing, but not right now. Fanbase is too angry.
Unless they win the Lafreniere lottery, they need to mostly lay low and let any hockey moves Adams might make speak for itself.

Poopyhead.

13 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I can't believe you think Dougie is part of the problem (and maybe even THE problem).

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I can't believe you think Dougie is part of the problem (and maybe even THE problem).

12 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's always the same two songs! C'mon, it's time to expand the set list....  What's he going to do, record a 45 single and... that's it?

I think Dougie coming out and doing a Borat-Style jazz-improv-anthem would be just what this moribund franchise needs to get the crowd into it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Make the announcement that Sabretooth lost his love for the game, that way everyone gets irrationally mad at him instead of despairing his loss.

Then stage a mock lottery for his replacement, finish second in the lottery, and pick the mascot left over and proclaim him at least as good as the mascot we didn’t get.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I don’t post here very often but sometimes a topic is posted that is so misguided that I cannot look away in good conscience.  Tooth does nothing but cheer his heart out for this team every night and now you’re talking about hitting him with a car?  I have seen that cat risk his life rappelling from the ceiling of the stadium to get try to get this crowd going.    This is how we treat a fan whose support has never waivered?  This board has really lost its way.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think they will try to do what the flyers did, but not succeed. It will be a silly thing that nobody pays attention to.

The money they are spending on this would have been better spent on the employees they had to lay off, and would have been much better publicity 

Edited by miles

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think the Sabres need to do more fun marketing, but not right now. Fanbase is too angry.

Agreed with this, although I love the idea of killing off 'Tooth. You could even do it in a way that was "soft" enough for fans of all ages to deal with -- maybe not, like, actual death? Anyway - it could be very funny and fun. And I'm not sure any NHL franchise can approach the greatness of Gritty. 

10 hours ago, BuffaloFan32 said:

I don’t post here very often but sometimes a topic is posted that is so misguided that I cannot look away in good conscience.  Tooth does nothing but cheer his heart out for this team every night and now you’re talking about hitting him with a car?  I have seen that cat risk his life rappelling from the ceiling of the stadium to get try to get this crowd going.    This is how we treat a fan whose support has never waivered?  This board has really lost its way.

It's gone untouched so far, but this post is pure genius.

• Haha (+1) 1

No, you're right. You do a good job. You can be inside the next mascot suit. Unless... it's a real cat? That can type?

• Haha (+1) 1

It's ... it's just a mascot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.