Could Eichel actually be the problem with the Sabres?

matter2003

I've said this before, but if they trade him I'm following to his new team. He's been the only good thing about this team for years and I have no loyalty to a team with owners who have no loyalty to anyone else. Not players, not fans, not employees

Edited by sabills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, sabills said:

I've said this before, but if they trade him I'm following to his new team. He's been the only good thing about this team for years and I have no loyalty to a team with owners who have no loyalty to anyone else. Not players not fans, not employees

I'll just stop watching hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

When do we start thinking the team might be better off dealing him for 3 good players?  Of course, even though Botteril is gone, we could end up with the return from O’Reilly deal.

Jack is a very good player. I wouldn’t yet call him great.  One very good player, a few good players (Reinhardt, Dahlin, Oloffson) and a bunch of mediocre players isn’t going to get it done.

Sometime when he is in his 30's, if even then.

Eichel's closest comparable is MacKinnon.  If you're Colorado, do you trade MacKinnon to spread the F talent out beyond the 1st line?  No.

Remember when many used to say Alexander Ovechkin wasn't a winning hockey player because his teams would always disappoint?

Ovie wasn't the problem then, and that foolishness has stopped being talked about once Washington figured out how to build a true winner.

Same with Eichel.

Its the organization that is a dumpster fire, and Jack is far from being the problem.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Nah I don’t think he’s the problem. Honestly though I don’t even know where to begin with what the problem is. Pegulas went John Wick on the organization. Let’s just throw our hands up and enjoy the scary roller coaster.

What is John Wick? 

A toilet candle company?

9 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

What is John Wick? 

A toilet candle company?

John Wick is a heartwarming tale about a man who finds love and hope again after his wife dies but sends him a puppy to remember her by...........

And then everybody dies. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Hence the issue with Skinner not having any help!

Yep.  RK also waited much much to long to put Skinner back with Jack.

The good news is this is a solve-able problem.  Larsson and Lazar are fine at 4c and extra.   
It’s also time to give a kid a real chance at being the 3c.  That leaves the hole created when Jbot/TP  traded ROR and Jbot never filled it.  

The bad news is that filling that hole is job one for our new inexperienced GM.  If he can pull that rabbit out of the hat this will be a playoff team next season.  

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yep.  RK also waited much much to long to put Skinner back with Jack.

The good news is this is a solve-able problem.  Larsson and Lazar are fine at 4c and extra.   
It’s also time to give a kid a real chance at being the 3c.  That leaves the hole created when Jbot/TP  traded ROR and Jbot never filled it.  

The bad news is that filling that hole is job one for our new inexperienced GM.  If he can pull that rabbit out of the hat this will be a playoff team next season.  

What if Cozens... is the answer. I am not saying he will be but if anyone could pull an Elias Petterson, it would be Dylan.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

What if Cozens... is the answer. I am not saying he will be but if anyone could pull an Elias Petterson, it would be Dylan.

Well... sure. If Cozens can average just under a point-per-game (albeit a huge percentage of O-zone faceoffs), skate 18 minutes, and be a plus player (so, overall somewhat defensively responsible) as a rookie and win the Calder hands-down. Sign me up. But as a GM, I'm not trusting him to do that any more than Mittlestadt should have been trusted to do the 2nd line role in his first year.

On 6/16/2020 at 6:52 PM, matter2003 said:

I hate to think like that but is it possible Eichel might actually be the problem with the team? 

GM's change, coaches change and players change...Eichel is still here and we have done literally nothing since he has been here...

When do we start looking at him as being the issue? Does he rub people the wrong way? Create a fractured locker room in some way? Are others not buying into him as captain?

I don't know if any of this is right or if Eichel is the issue but we need to at leat consider that he might be...

Come on man.

First and foremost, we don't have very many good hockey players on the team, and even fewer prospects in the system.

Secondly, the organization is run by amateurs who don't have a clue as to what they are doing, and so the organization is rudderless.  That's fundamentally a bigger problem than the current lack of talent IMO. 

On top of that, they are now solely concerned with monetary issues and have zero regard for on-ice product.

The biggest outcome from Black Tuesday is the realization that the "If I want to make money, I'll dig a well" era is OVER.

That's done.  We right back to where this franchise has lived for most of its life pinching pennies.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

That would be great, but even if you think that that is possible, you still need to go get a Nick Bonino type to take on the 3c role and be insurance if Cozens proves he isn’t ready for that much responsibility.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That would be great, but even if you think that that is possible, you still need to go get a Nick Bonino type to take on the 3c role and be insurance if Cozens proves he isn’t ready for that much responsibility.  

Larson can play third line center. 

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The question would be, are you comfortable going into next season with playing time among centers as:

1. Eichel (pp, final pk shift)
  2. Larsson (pk)
  3. Cozens (O-zone, pp)
  4. Asplund (D-zone/pk) / Kahun

You mean Larzar not Asplund. And no I am not comfortable with that. I just think that is the reality unless Cirelli is coming north. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Larson can play third line center. 

This is honestly a huge change in tune for you.  You criticized me when I said we need to acquire a 2c to become competitive saying that is only going to make us a bubble team.  With a 2c you have a spine of Jack, 2c, Cozens and Larsson.  

You seem to want to go forward with Jack, Cozens, Larsson and Lazar.  No way this is better then the solution I suggested.  It’s cheaper, but it doesn’t make us competitive unless Cozens is spectacular.

This solution only works if we are now a budget team cap wise and won’t spend to the cap.  This is not an unreasonable reaction given the recent blood letting but it isn’t a solution to ending the playoff drought unless everything goes right. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.