Could Eichel actually be the problem with the Sabres?

matter2003

I hate to think like that but is it possible Eichel might actually be the problem with the team? 

GM's change, coaches change and players change...Eichel is still here and we have done literally nothing since he has been here...

When do we start looking at him as being the issue? Does he rub people the wrong way? Create a fractured locker room in some way? Are others not buying into him as captain?

I don't know if any of this is right or if Eichel is the issue but we need to at leat consider that he might be...

Edited by matter2003

It's a logical possibility but it is impossible to answer given how demonstrably horrifying everything around him is, save 3 or 4 decent hockey players and maybe a coach now. We haven't been given enough details that would suggest he's some sort of fundamental problem  - aside from some early immaturity that any level of organizational competence would render harmless. And even that was hardly some massive storyline. Right now from all we know jack is a very good boy 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I hate to think like that but is it possible Eichel might actually be the problem with the team? 

GM's change, coaches change and players change...Eichel is still here and we have done literally nothing since he has been here...

When do we start looking at him as being the issue? Does he rub people the wrong way? Create a fractured locker room in some way? Are others not buying into him as captain?

I don't know if any of this is right or if Eichel is the issue but we need to at leat consider that he might be...

I was onboard with this line of thinking when they went south this past season, but then he turned it up again and carried them like an absolute beast (including a blind goalie apparently) so.... 

On the whole I think it's definitely fair to question his leadership abilities. I can't remember hearing any of his teammates speaking of him they way we hear him/others speak of Kruger, Drury, Brindamour etc.  That said, this team without him is not something I'm interested in at this point.  And even if he is a "me" guy or not good at bringing people together, it's on the GM and HC and other the players to identify that, figure out how to make it work / surround him with the complimentary parts.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Interesting thought.  Except, this team started going nowhere 4 seasons before he showed up.  Is he really so toxic that he ruined them when he was only 14?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Interesting thought.  Except, this team started going nowhere 4 seasons before he showed up.  Is he really so toxic that he ruined them when he was only 14?

Well, he was on scout's radar as an elite pick that far back.....

"Hey Tom.  There is this tremendous pair of players approaching draft age.  We don't have to pay out big contracts for impact players for too much longer.  I've got this plan I've been toying with...."

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

Probably not, and on the surface no for sure....but....

What was the reason O'Reilly was dealt?  He and Jack supposedly had dinner when St. Louis was back in town, but things might have been kinda 'chilly' between them when he was here, was it a choice between the 2 and Jack had some input into the move?  Did Jack have any input into any of the other moves?  He is an elite (or at least on the border of elite) production player, but are you getting your moneys worth with regard to the cap?   None of that may be true...and it may not mean he is the 'problem' if it were true...but there may be things under the surface that happen with ANY player that may have more of a negative impact on the team than the production shows.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Jack's not the problem. The team isn't talented enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

No.

The problem is not one, it’s been three:

1) The decision to tank without protecting the Organization with a strong minor league team and prospect base.

2) The hiring of a Horse trader GM with no people skills or understanding of how personalities mix in a dressing room.

3) The hiring of an MBA nice guy GM with no eye for talent or skill for acquiring it.

Now all three of those decisions can be traced back to ownership, and there is every chance they made another short-sighted knee-jerk move today.

But that ain’t on Jack.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, dudacek said:

1) The decision to tank without protecting the Organization with a strong minor league team and prospect base.

Good call. Folks forget that when the Sabres tanked for McDavid/Eichel, the Amerks also finished near the bottom of the standings in the AHL and missed the playoffs by 20+ points. Ristolainen played the whole season up in Buffalo and learned how to suffer, as did others. He hasn't yet unlearned what he learned in Buffalo.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Jack's not the problem. The team isn't talented enough. 

When do we start thinking the team might be better off dealing him for 3 good players?  Of course, even though Botteril is gone, we could end up with the return from O’Reilly deal.

Jack is a very good player. I wouldn’t yet call him great.  One very good player, a few good players (Reinhardt, Dahlin, Oloffson) and a bunch of mediocre players isn’t going to get it done.

13 hours ago, matter2003 said:

No, we don't and this team sucked long before Eichel arrived

13 hours ago, darksabre said:

Yeah, Eichel is the problem. It's definitely not all the AHLers he has to play hockey with. 

Lord have mercy. 

Yeah, that is it right there. The guy's been an absolute beast of late, and he's just about the only thing keeping this team from being utterly and totally unwatchable.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.