The Tuesday Purge - June 16, 2020

That Aud Smell

Why? If nothing changes, nothing changes.

I am not saying these moves will be good, but i'd rather do something than nothing.

Plenty of teams have leaner operations and have had far more success in the last 10 years than us.

Sometimes throwing money at a problem, or having 20 different opinions on who to draft etc. can be the issue.

A tighter and potentially more creative organisation with the finances to support a successful model when found seems fine to me

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Figured we could use a thread for an overall discussion of what's going on with the Sabres right now.

It feels like a dark day, to me.

In the hardware community it is referred to as we have too many standards, so we need to create one new standard for everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

First of all, Smell, NOT COOL.

Incoming M*A*S*H comment. @New Scotland (NS) Alan Alda has a podcast and has had some of the few surviving castmates on it. On one of the podcasts, they recollected how terrible the conditions were on the studio and location sets. Barely working bathrooms, conditions that were either too hot or to cold, a restriction on how much peanut butter they could eat (at some kind of peanut butter station — hey, it was the 70s). They concluded that the conditions made them better actors and fired up their creativity — especially given that they were trying to depict people working in terrible conditions during wartime.

It's a huge stretch to say the same effect will be seen in the Sabres, but let's remember that some of the best hockey we've seen in recent decades was done very much on a shoestring.

One espresso and that's it, boys. Take it out on the puck, Dahlin.

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Until they fire Rip, nothing will change.

It's not a terrible idea. I've wondered for years how the trainers, equipment managers, medical staff, media relations people etc. survive regime after regime. When these people are in the players' ears on the daily.

Same goes for the alumni relations crew and broadcasters. Which makes me wonder how all of Rick, Dan, Marty, Brian and Rob survive this. Rick gets a pretty penny, I'm sure. I hate to say it, but have we heard the last or Rick?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

That’s a spin on it.

This feels more perilous, and not well considered.

Mr. Gordon Downie once crooned 

“It’s like we burned our boots with no contingency plan.”

But hey, maybe there is a plan?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

And I'm gonna add one more thing. I don't know what the answers are anymore, but if I never hear a prospective GM called a "savant", or "genius", or "wizard", or anything of that nature ever again, I'll consider that a success. What's Kevyn Adams? Who cares. He's a guy. Hopefully he can just put some *****in hockey players on the ice that don't stink to high heaven. 

• Like (+1) 1

Adams and Krueger have first-hand knowledge of every person being let go.

Is the bloodletting their call? Were they given a number and the discretion to decide who? A veto over any Pegula choices? 
Or is this all Kim and Terry creating a slate for them to paint a new picture?

It will be interesting to see actually who is out and who survived. Clearly some people needed to held accountable. I don’t think anyone on here would argue with that.

The pro scouting department has been terrible looking at our trade record under Botterill, that I know. Less sure how I feel about the rest. Contracts? Development? Amateur scouting? Analytics?

Or is it just about getting people in place with the “right attitude,” like Ralph and Kevyn? If it’s just that, then Taylor should have a job.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams and Krueger have first-hand knowledge of every person being let go.

Is the bloodletting their call? Were they given a number and the discretion to decide who? A veto over any Pegula choices? 
Or is this all Kim and Terry creating a slate for them to paint a new picture?

It will be interesting to see actually who is out and who survived. Clearly some people needed to held accountable. I don’t think anyone on here would argue with that.

The pro scouting department has been terrible looking at our trade record under Botterill, that I know. Less sure how I feel about the rest. Contracts? Development? Amateur scouting? Analytics?

Or is it just about getting people in place with the “right attitude,” like Ralph and Kevyn? If it’s just that, then Taylor should have a job.

What makes Taylor a good AHL coach? I don't doubt he is a good coach, but the reality is that the AHL exists to feed the NHL. Bar Olaffsson, who has graduated from Rochester in recent years

1 minute ago, Trettioåtta said:

What makes Taylor a good AHL coach? I don't doubt he is a good coach, but the reality is that the AHL exists to feed the NHL. Bar Olaffsson, who has graduated from Rochester in recent years

He seemed capable from this distance, but I don’t know that he is or isn’t.

What I do know is that he comes across as a positive person that brings the right attitude to his work. I was saying I doubt that he would have been included if the sole reason for all the firings was to get rid of people who weren’t with the program.

You go ahead and maintain that lifestyle, Kim & Terry.  I think I’m officially out, having had the afternoon to think about it more than i should have for some reason.  

There’ll be no saving this ship.  They’re bailing water into it at this point.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

First of all, Smell, NOT COOL.

Incoming M*A*S*H comment. @New Scotland (NS) Alan Alda has a podcast and has had some of the few surviving castmates on it. On one of the podcasts, they recollected how terrible the conditions were on the studio and location sets. Barely working bathrooms, conditions that were either too hot or to cold, a restriction on how much peanut butter they could eat (at some kind of peanut butter station — hey, it was the 70s). They concluded that the conditions made them better actors and fired up their creativity — especially given that they were trying to depict people working in terrible conditions during wartime.

It's a huge stretch to say the same effect will be seen in the Sabres, but let's remember that some of the best hockey we've seen in recent decades was done very much on a shoestring.

One espresso and that's it, boys. Take it out on the puck, Dahlin.

Ironically, in the movie about the team you’re describing, the goalie would probably be blind.  Or maybe a golden retriever.  Or both!!

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There's not a good "you get a cookie" GIF.

Let me, ah, philosophize a bit. 

Perhaps if you're someone like Terry and Kim, you look at the successes and wealth you have accumulated and you tell yourself "I have done difficult things, and I have solved difficult problems" and it becomes a sort of myth you tell yourself. And so when presented with a situation like owning a hockey team, you say "this will be difficult, but I have done difficult things" and so you make things difficult in order to fulfill that myth. The more difficult the job feels, the greater the hero you are in your own story. "I will solve this difficult thing, and it will be my greatest triumph" you say, as the people you surround yourself with lose their minds in the chaos you create. 

• Like (+1) 5

37 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Perhaps if you're someone like Terry and Kim, you look at the successes and wealth you have accumulated and you tell yourself "I have done difficult things, and I have solved difficult problems" and it becomes a sort of myth you tell yourself. And so when presented with a situation like owning a hockey team, you say "this will be difficult, but I have done difficult things" and so you make things difficult in order to fulfill that myth. The more difficult the job feels, the greater the hero you are in your own story. "I will solve this difficult thing, and it will be my greatest triumph" you say, as the people you surround yourself with lose their minds in the chaos you create. 

Off to the politics thread.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, darksabre said:

season 3 chaos grenade GIF by Billions

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Go on. You're almost there.

Jason did suck, though. Really badly. The pegulas didn't ask him to get only Frolik out of the defensive logjam last season, or to trade a sixth for a guaranteed worse sixth when Detroit does the same thing and get a fifth.

Whatever problems the pegulas cause, and I dont know what they are if they're there, jason was never gonna work out here and given that he and Tim were both NHL recommendations I hate this internal hire far less than I would have 5 years ago 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

You go ahead and maintain that lifestyle, Kim & Terry.  I think I’m officially out, having had the afternoon to think about it more than i should have for some reason.  

There’ll be no saving this ship.  They’re bailing water into it at this point.  

IMO, wrong time to be out.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.