More Members of Sabres Hockey Ops are being let go

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

John Vogl also confirms 

If we had reason to believe there were better people that were going to be brought in, that would be one thing.  But, after the Zoom meeting, this seems like simply letting people go.  Even with a net reduction in the size of the hockey department, that wouldn't be depressing g if we had reason to believe top people were coming in.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I can't say it doesn't feel like they're just trying to cut salary to help the bottom line while hockey is essentially paused. Nothing to really scout, nothing to really manage. 

I know people wanted to hear something traditional, but Terry was very clear that the team’s finances were a primary driver in all this. The entire PC was about financials. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I can't say it doesn't feel like they're just trying to cut salary to help the bottom line while hockey is essentially paused. Nothing to really scout, nothing to really manage. 

I don't like it as the last thing anyone else needs in a global recession and pandemic is to lose their job. But the scouts really won't have work to do for the foreseeable future. And it does give an opportunity to clean house and build a new scouting department later. Strictly on the bottom line, this makes sense for the next however-many-months. It's just a matter of how lean the franchise gets in the coming months. For example, does it extend to RFAs and we don't re-sign anyone for months, don't make a trade, and just wait it out. Or lose players because other teams negotiate with the RFAs. (And no one is taking Sam for 4 1st round picks.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, In The Buff said:

I would've preferred firing Jbotts because of the performance of the team. But now it appears it was at the very least partly due to him being opposed to these other staff cuts & the firings with the Amerks. So now Jbotts is a martyr?

Who said he was opposed to this?

1 minute ago, In The Buff said:

I would've preferred firing Jbotts because of the performance of the team. But now it appears it was at the very least partly due to him being opposed to these other staff cuts & the firings with the Amerks. So now Jbotts is a martyr?

What is this based on?

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

Who said he was opposed to this?

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

What is this based on?

This article here talks about what changed over the past 3 weeks. Goes into the discussions JB had with the Pegs about the restructuring plans & him being opposed to them. Maybe its just WGR messing with me but if u follow the course of events it seems probable his firing was at least due in part to those "philosophical differences" in this restructuring plan.

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/buffalo-sabres-decide-to-start-over-once-again-1.1486570

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

This article here talks about what changed over the past 3 weeks. Goes into the discussions JB had with the Pegs about the restructuring plans & him being opposed to them. Maybe its just WGR messing with me but if u follow the course of events it seems probable his firing was at least due in part to those "philosophical differences" in this restructuring plan.

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/buffalo-sabres-decide-to-start-over-once-again-1.1486570

If so, then none of this is the general manager's doing. He's just the guy who agreed to take the job and let it happen. Which might explain why they didn't/couldn't do a proper job search.

5 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

That piece passed the smell test.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

If we had reason to believe there were better people that were going to be brought in, that would be one thing.  But, after the Zoom meeting, this seems like simply letting people go.  Even with a net reduction in the size of the hockey department, that wouldn't be depressing g if we had reason to believe top people were coming in.

I think it's the new sports economics kicking in. The team--well, all teams--don't know where the money is going to come from next 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I know people wanted to hear something traditional, but Terry was very clear that the team’s finances were a primary driver in all this. The entire PC was about financials. 

I guess it's not as easy to "just dig another well" as it used to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.