DirecTV

sabres_phan

Saw this posted on the Sabres message board. Call the bastards!!!

I just got off the phone with DirecTV and was told that they have NO plans of showing Sabres games this year on MSG or any other station. I was told that, living in the Rochester area, I actually am in the Ranger's market. When I asked which market the Sabres are in, I was told that Buffalo does not reside in an NHL market. When I reminded them that the Sabres play IN Buffalo, I was given the run-around and told that they "just go by the zip code". The girl I talked to said that she has received NO calls about this issue and basically had no idea what I was talking about.

Again, DirecTV has NO plans of showing the Sabres games this year on MSG or any other station.

I threatened to switch to Time Warner Cable and that did not seem to bother them. I would imagine that if more people did the same, they might be bothered enough to do something about the problem. Contact DirecTV and let them have it:

By email: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/glb/Form_Feedback.dsp

By phone: 1-800-494-4388

The girl I talked to said that she has received NO calls about this issue and basically had no idea what I was talking about.>>>

that's obviously a lie. I called last nite about the same issue, and if you read any other Sabres boards, a bunch of other people called as well.

Thankfully, the Center Ice package is an option to take care of this issue for the regular season.

The girl I talked to said that she has received NO calls about this issue and basically had no idea what I was talking about.>>>

that's obviously a lie. I called last nite about the same issue, and if you read any other Sabres boards, a bunch of other people called as well.

Thankfully, the Center Ice package is an option to take care of this issue for the regular season.

I was told by DirecTv that the games would be BLACKED OUT for Center Ice customers in the Buffalo Area if the game is broadcast on a Local Provider (In this case MSG) even if that local provider is not available on DirecTv.

Wow. Sounds like you guys are getting screwed big-time out there in Buffalo. I live in Regina,SK. so I'll see all the games on Center Ice.

We all know you can't get anywhere with big companies like this who employee countless, mindless drones who follow the company line to a tee because they really don't care about customer service or the companies they work for.

My advice to get some action?

Call Tom Golisano. Call Larry Quinn. Call Darcy Regier. Tell them you problem. If a billionaire, who employs god knows how many people in Rochester and Buffalo, and bailed one of only two major sports franchises for the area, calls and wants some action taken, you can be assured that action will probably be taken.

He didn't sink all that money into the Sabres just to alienate his fan base and lose cash, all because some losers at the cable company won't show the product to the customers.

Don't waste your time phoning Direct TV, go straight to the Sabres. Good Luck.

Hey, if worse comes to worst, I'll set my video camera up to view the games on my TV and connect it to my computer so you can all log on to my web-site and watch!! Does that work for you?

well I did get a response from Directv tonight about all of this. I'm in NC and will get some of the games on Center Ice. But I want to be able to watch the games on MSG with Rick and Jim. But that might not happen in time before the season starts according to directv. Here is thier response from my letter.

Thanks for asking about the Buffalo Sabres on MSG. I know that Sabres hockey is important to you. Be assured that we are in negotiations with MSG in order to show the games on DIRECTV in your area, but we may not have a deal in place in time for the start of the season.

Thanks again for writing, we hope to have an announcement about the Sabres games soon.

Sincerely,

Marjorie F

DIRECTV Customer Service

Thanks for asking about the Buffalo Sabres on MSG. I know that Sabres hockey is important to you. Be assured that we are in negotiations with MSG in order to show the games on DIRECTV in your area, but we may not have a deal in place in time for the start of the season.

Thanks again for writing, we hope to have an announcement about the Sabres games soon.

I received an identical response. At least they have a template, which means people are calling and/or writing. I actually called Adelphia and had them install their Bronze package on one TV. With everything, it cost $41.00 per month and I'll get the Sabres MSG feed. They are coming Wednesday, the 5th. If Directv and MSG can strike a deal, I will cancel the cable (there is no subscription commitment needed). Until then, I reduced my Directv by $42.00 per month (got rid of everything but HBO) -- so I break even. You think the NHL would, for at least this year, waive the blackout rule so as many people as possible could see the "New NHL." Good luck to all.

well I did get a response from Directv tonight about all of this. I'm in NC and will get some of the games on Center Ice. But I want to be able to watch the games on MSG with Rick and Jim. But that might not happen in time before the season starts according to directv. Here is thier response from my letter.

Sincerely,

Marjorie F

DIRECTV Customer Service

Rico, do you know if the DirecTV customer rep aware that you don't live in the Buffalo area? Because if she was, her letter is confusing to me because it kind of contradicts the way Center Ice on DirecTV worked last time out. The last time the NHL played, if you had Center Ice on DirecTV you could only get one feed for non-home market team games. For example, if Detroit was playing Chicago and Center Ice had the Chicago feed, the Fox Detroit channel would be blacked out and I could watch the game on the Chicago sports channel or up on Center Ice but they were the same feed. For home market games, you still only got one feed, but it was always your local feed. For example, if Buffalo played Boston and the Boston feed was the Center Ice feed, Center Ice was blacked out but Empire still showed the game; if it was the Buffalo feed, I could watch the game on either 626 or up in the 740's, but again, they were both the same feed so people in WNY were always assured of seeing the game (when it was broadcast) on the Empire feed. For the games Empire did not show, the Center Ice feed was not blacked out (I know it happened for the Vancouver game and a couple of others last season). The only game that I remember not being able to see was an Atlanta game that wasn't broadcast in Atlanta nor Buffalo.

Whether the Buffalo area gets the MSG secondary feed I do not believe will affect you down in NC. I realize that contradicts what was stated in the letter (thus the reason for my question about whether the rep understood that you aren't in WNY)and I could be wrong, as the whole MSG / DirecTV issue seems to be a total cluster right now.

Dave.

Dave,

Directv did know I did not live in the Buffalo area. So what ever Sabre game I get will be from the other teams feed until they get this settle even here in NC. I'm holding out they will get these negotiations completed before the start of the season. I also see the have released the Center Ice schedule for the year. The first night they have all the channels listed for games except the Sabres and Wild. Which are TBA. So Im guessing they too think they will have a deal before Wednesday nights game..

http://www.directvsports.com/Schedules/Pac...Ice/2005_10.htm

Dave,

Directv did know I did not live in the Buffalo area. So what ever Sabre game I get will be from the other teams feed until they get this settle even here in NC. I'm holding out they will get these negotiations completed before the start of the season. I also see the have released the Center Ice schedule for the year. The first night they have all the channels listed for games except the Sabres and Wild. Which are TBA. So Im guessing they too think they will have a deal before Wednesday nights game..

Rico,

Thanks for the link. I am surprised, but the Sabres - Pens game on the 10th isn't on the schedule. I would have thought one of those 2 would show the game in their home market (maybe not on DirecTV, but on other sources). In the past, the only games that didn't end up on Center Ice were national games and those that nobody broadcast.

Dave.

Dave,

Directv did know I did not live in the Buffalo area.  So what ever Sabre game I get will be from the other teams feed until they get this settle even here in NC. I'm holding out they will get these negotiations completed before the start of the season. I also see the have released the Center Ice schedule for the year. The first night they have all the channels listed for games except the Sabres and Wild. Which are TBA. So Im guessing they too think they will have a deal before Wednesday nights game..

Rico,

One more question / (or more accurately) comment about your ability to get some games w/ Rick / Jim. The last time Center Ice was run, they showed many games that were broadcast on channels not normally picked up by DirecTV (mainly Rogers Sportsnet and CBC). So, DirecTV not showing the game in the 600's wouldn't affect what's on Center Ice (IMHO). MSG's Sabres feed to WNY on DirecTV still being a cluster shouldn't (again, IMHO) affect what feeds are provided to Center Ice. The form letter DirecTV sent you didn't fully seem to address this (either that, or I am just extremely thick on this matter).

The more I think about this, the more I think that even if I get hosed out of seeing some Sabres games, it would only be about 50% of the games. In the past the Center Ice feed only got blacked out if it was from the non-home market feed. Assuming about 50% of the Center Ice Sabres games would be the Sabres feeds, then I would only have those non-Sabres feeds blacked out. Missing 50% of the games is still about 60% too many, especially having paid for the Sports Pack and Center Ice; and will in all likelihood cause me to switch to cable (heck, Time Warner moving the Sabres games in Rochester to their premium tier is what drove me to DirecTV in the 1st place); but it's not like I now expect ALL the games (except for OLN ones) to be blacked out. I now just fear an unacceptable percentage of games to be blacked out.

Thanks for the updates. If you get any other updates, please post them.

Dave.

I was told by DirecTv that the games would be BLACKED OUT for Center Ice customers in the Buffalo Area if the game is broadcast on a Local Provider (In this case MSG) even if that local provider is not available on DirecTv.

I called DirecTV again today. Still no word on the negotiations between DirecTV and MSG. The lady I spoke to told me point blank that because I have Center Ice, I'd be able to see the Sabres games since DirecTV has my locale listed as being in Anger/Slander/Evil home markets, not the Sabres. (Buffalo wouldn't be blacked out either as DirecTV has Buffalo in Pittsburgh's home market!)

The thing is, even if she is correct, I won't be able to get the pre/post game shows until/unless DirecTV and MSG work out a deal. So I still may end up switching to cable, but I plan on waiting until after Wednesday to make a decision.

IF the blackout policy works like it is explained on DirecTV's website and NOT like it did last time out, I will probably get more games this year as the website CLAIMS the home market games not shown on local provider will be blacked out even if they are shown in another market. This is what the blackout policy claimed last time out; but contrary to what was stated, I did get to see games that weren't shown on Empire (primarily games against western Canadian teams). By not being in the Sabres market, I'll get any Sabres game that is broadcast, whereas being in the Sabres market I'd only get the 74/75 + 2 + whatever NBC decides to show (assuming the marketing major that put the blackout policy Q&A on the website got it right this time (they didn't last time)).

For whatever it's worth.

Dave.

Just an FYI.  I checked by Directv Guide for tomorrow and sure enough it said ... Buffalo Sabres vs. New York Islanders.  Looks like we are ready to go!

The Wednesday game is the ISLANDERS FEED. There is no game currently listed on MSG for Friday. MSG is showing a CFL game during the Sabres Bruins game.

AAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Sorry.

Dave.

The Wednesday game is the ISLANDERS FEED. There is no game currently listed on MSG for Friday. MSG is showing a CFL game during the Sabres Bruins game.

AAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Sorry.

Dave.

You need to chill. The NYI are not on MSG! Nor have the ever been. The are carrying the Rick and Jim feed through MSG. It is settled. Stop crying. It's been take care of. And, if you receiver is not showing that the game will be on, I suggest you run out and buy a new one!

You need to chill. The NYI are not on MSG! Nor have the ever been. The are carrying the Rick and Jim feed through MSG. It is settled. Stop crying. It's been take care of. And, if you receiver is not showing that the game will be on, I suggest you run out and buy a new one!

The h*ll they aren't! Channel 621 (MS friggin G) 10/5 6:35 PM ISLANDERS Game Night. 7:00 PM Islanders vs. Sabres. 10:00 PM Sports Desk.

MSG and FSNY now tie in together (I don't know who bought out who) and Islanders games (and its my understanding Devils games as well) can end up on MSG when the Rangers aren't playing or when the Rangers games are on OLN.

Dave.

Dave, How about posting tomorrow night what you find out at game time. I'm on a business trip and wont be home Wednesday night to watch the game. Let me know if the center ice feed is the home team feed and if any post game show shows up on directv on one of those alternate feeds. Then I can call home and tell the wife to DVR it. At least I can listen to Rick and Jim on my computer..

Thanks,

Rico

Dave, How about posting tomorrow night what you find out at game time. I'm on a business trip and wont be home Wednesday night to watch the game. Let me know if the center ice feed is the home team feed and if any post game show shows up on directv on one of those alternate feeds. Then I can call home and tell the wife to DVR it. At least I can listen to Rick and Jim on my computer..

Thanks,

Rico

Rico,

I'd like to help tomorrow, but I am going to the opener. Hopefully somebody else could post.

Sorry,

Dave.

It looks like a deal is done!!!!

DirecTV and MSG seem to have gotten their act together.

The game is listed on the web as being shown on Channel 627. On my onscreen guide, I now have an "MASN" listed on Channel 626. I don't know which of the 2 channels the game will be on, and the web guide isn't showing the pre/post game shows; but it looks like the Rick / Jim feed will be available in WNY on DirecTV.

Dave.

I received this email from DirecTV today:

Dear Mr. <name removed>,

If you need further assistance with your DIRECTV equipment or programming please let me know and I will have a representative contact you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Maridette

DIRECTV Customer Service

This was dated October 5, 2005 2:21 AM :angry:

Hope this gets done soon!!!

for the record, Directv viewers in the Buffalo market were NOT able to see the Sabres game last night. I have emailed the Sabres, MSG, and I called DirecTv to complain. I also emailed the NYS Attorney General, as this reeks of consumer fraud to me -it was widely reported that a deal was in place weeks ago, when in fact one apparently was not.

Archived