You are Kevyn Adams, what are your first 100 days like?

thewookie1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Look at how many people they have eliminated in addition to Jbot.  The changes they wanted were clearly huge and Jbot stood up for his people and got fired for it. 

Fired Jbot’s two top assistants

Fired the entire Amerks coaching staff.

Fired much of the scouting staff and other hockey officials.

These are huge “structural changes.”  They put him in a position where he couldn’t keep his job and his integrity IMHO.

“It’sperfectly reasonable that they recommended change, but torecommend hiring an even more inexperienced GM ismalpractice.  “

Lol. I’m not even sure what you are responding to. I responded to the above comment that the consultants recommended they fire him. I am simply saying that the timeline, Terry’s words to the reporter, and what was said in the press conference today regarding Jason’s employment status all jive. They wanted to keep him, but he would not make the change they wanted. You said otherwise in the quote above. 

12 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

I don’t think “fire all the scouts” fits the internally-sourced, communicator, cost-efficient approach this hire indicates.

No, but playing yakkity sax on repeat really loud had proven effective during the Rolston period. Maybe if it becomes our front office theme it might suit better? It’s been so many years of yakkity sax..

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SDS said:

“It’sperfectly reasonable that they recommended change, but torecommend hiring an even more inexperienced GM ismalpractice.  “

Lol. I’m not even sure what you are responding to. I responded to the above comment that the consultants recommended they fire him. I am simply saying that the timeline, Terry’s words to the reporter, and what was said in the press conference today regarding Jason’s employment status all jive. They wanted to keep him, but he would not make the change they wanted. You said otherwise in the quote above. 

Yeah, it would seem the consultant didn't recommend firing Botterill, but his balking at making as extensive changes as ownership asked for / expected seems to be the trigger for his dismissal.

But with the hiring of Adams after no GM search (per Terry Pegula in the Zoom chat) it would seem logical that the Pegulas got input on who went from one or both of Krueger & Adams in addition to the overall recommendations of the consultant.

As stated when this was announced, really hoping that a mentor is brought in for Adams, either the way the Bills front office is set up with Beane having a lot of experienced guys under him or via having a Dudley, Gillis, or Lombardi type as an advisor.  Krueger will definitely be advising him, but he has a day job (and bringing Taylor up to help on the staff could've helped Ralph actually be successful at both roles, guess Adams and Ralph didn't see it that same way) and am not confident that he'll be able to adequately fill both roles.  Hoping he can. 

Will be very interesting to see when (if?) scouting roles get refilled (not expecting full replacements, but it seems they are too lean at present) as always thought that scouts typically move around after the draft, not before it.

The thing is, the Sabres are more or less ready to draft right now.

Remember, the talk was focused on an early June draft and the team was prepared for that. The reports are filed, the lists debated and the rankings set. No more hockey is likely to be played before the draft. The contracts of many scouts are over at the end of June.

Now there is nothing preventing the Sabres from doing additional testing or interviews should the league allow that, hiring additional veteran scouts to glean their input, or revamping their existing list through a different lens, or different list of priorities. I think this is likely and their list may benefit.

But all the grunt work is done.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Eggles said:

No, but playing yakkity sax on repeat really loud had proven effective during the Rolston period. Maybe if it becomes our front office theme it might suit better? It’s been so many years of yakkity sax..

So really... we need to make a mix tape of Khachaturian's Sabre Dance, into Hurricane 2000, into Yakety Sax. If only time would speed up so the Sabrepede could chase through the suffering all the quicker.

• Haha (+1) 1

What are his 1st 100 days like?

Days 1&2 elation that you got the job

Day 3 realizing that you are way over your head and drowning in a sea of your lack of experience.

Day 4 -20 praying for someone to sweep in and save you.

Day 20 - 60. Slow realization that no one is going to help you and you still don't have a clue.

Day 61-100.  Praying that TP and KP fire you and put you out of your misery.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

21 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Like with any new president heir first 100 days is seen as their introduction to the whole of the country on their leadership such as do they uphold campaign promises.

You are Kevyn Adams, you can't fire yourself or the owner, and I'm going to pretend all the teams are available to be traded with. What is it that you would do?

For me:

1. I'd get rid of most of the scouting staff, the pro scouts especially based on their performance.

2. I'd create an Analytics department that uses both high and low level analytics

3. I'd hire new scouts for "the eye test"

4. Analytics and Classic scouts work together on prospects/as for pro scouting I would have scouts hunting for trade candidates work separately for intervals to lessen the bleed over of either side effecting the others' judgements. (Obviously if, without knowing the other, both sides are intrigued by the same player they are likely a great candidate.)

5. Find out what Ralph and Jack think about ideas. Ralph would get player names whereas Jack would be more in a general arena. (What type of player are you looking for to help the team structure, etc.)

6. Hire a Cap guy and contract negotiator. (Can be 1 or 2 people) (Essentially what Botts did in Pittsburgh)

7. Hire a GM for the Amerks/Assistant GM

Alright, have at it

1. The first thing he should do call Ralph and get his thoughts.  The last thing he should do is treat Jack like he is part of the front office.  “Ok Jack, give me a list of players you think can help us and send it to me by COB”.   Ridiculous idea.  Talking to Ralph is a must first step.  

2. He needs to support player development and he has to get some help in this area.  He has players in the AHL, in College, in Jr A, and in Europe.  They are all Botterill players so he needs to keep that connection going.  Keep them interested in the Sabres and make sure they are developing.  

3.  He needs to get help with contracts and manage his RFA plan.  Some of these players need to stay, but will they want to?  He has no experience in this area and they fired Greeley so good luck Kevyn.  

4.  Rebuild Rochester staff. They need a GM, a head coach and a coaching staff.  Blowing up Rochester was stupid and all of those positions need to be filled. I am sure Kim will give him a much smaller budget for this.  

5.  The draft.  He has some time to rebuild the scouting department and develop a draft board, most of which is probably completed.   

Edited by Pimlach

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Are we even sure there will be an 2020-21 AHL season?

Not yet. And from that standpoint the AHL coaching staff doesn't have anything to really do for the foreseeable future. But, you don't have to axe them. You can wait because they're not earning that much money, or you can furlough, or you can meld them with your NHL staff.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Not yet. And from that standpoint the AHL coaching staff doesn't have anything to really do for the foreseeable future. But, you don't have to axe them. You can wait because they're not earning that much money, or you can furlough, or you can meld them with your NHL staff.

It seems from Friedmann that Taylor and staff’s contract’s we’re expiring and Jbot was working on re-signing them right up to his firing.

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It seems from Friedmann that Taylor and staff’s contract’s we’re expiring and Jbot was working on re-signing them right up to his firing.

Part of the communication breakdown. Something as simple as JBot trying to get his crew locked up so at least they have salary/parachute before the axe falls. Pegulas trying to save cash.

24 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Part of the communication breakdown. Something as simple as JBot trying to get his crew locked up so at least they have salary/parachute before the axe falls. Pegulas trying to save cash.

But this morning Kevyn said the staff in Rochester wasn’t in line with the things they wanted to do.

19 minutes ago, SDS said:

But this morning Kevyn said the staff in Rochester wasn’t in line with the things they wanted to do.

More communication. Now --- can they be brought in line? Or, Adams can come in and do an evaluation period with them over the next month and then just not re-sign them. But this was premeditated and the entire press conference focused on cash.

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

More communication. Now --- can they be brought in line? Or, Adams can come in and do an evaluation period with them over the next month and then just not re-sign them. But this was premeditated and the entire press conference focused on cash.

Let's be reasonable about any accusations. A leaner organization doesn't mean Rochester goes without a coach. Someone has to be there. So, maybe they let them go because no coaching was going to be done for many moons, but that hasn't been said. Kevyn the GM said they were going to go in a direction more closely aligned with their views. Isn't that the way it is supposed to happen?

50 minutes ago, SDS said:

Let's be reasonable about any accusations. A leaner organization doesn't mean Rochester goes without a coach. Someone has to be there. So, maybe they let them go because no coaching was going to be done for many moons, but that hasn't been said. Kevyn the GM said they were going to go in a direction more closely aligned with their views. Isn't that the way it is supposed to happen?

I'm good with new GMs bringing in their people. But if there are disconnects, then first I (as new GM) want to know why the views weren't aligned. And I want to know what the causes were.

For example, if it's playing style --- why is the AHL coach running a different system? (Is it because he has dominant D players (Pilut, Redmond) and is coaching to the strengths of the team, which is good coaching -- getting the most out of what you've got. OR is he fundamentally opposed to Krueger's slower system and refuses to change? Which is definitely bad, because we want to be able to call up players and have them fit in Buffalo seamlessly.) They have months to figure this out and it's easy to cease contract negotiations. Instead, it was an axe a few hours later.

And I agree it hasn't been said yet, but from the Pegula perspective why have a Rochester coach if there's no 2020-21 season planned? It's certainly leaner to not hire a new staff until the league has a timeframe to restart.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I thought Ralph had a lot of praise for Taylor.  I suppose it could be lip service, but why not say nothing instead if you don’t like the direction?

After yesterday I’m skeptical it was about coaching philosophy.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I thought Ralph had a lot of praise for Taylor.  I suppose it could be lip service, but why not say nothing instead if you don’t like the direction?

After yesterday I’m skeptical it was about coaching philosophy.

Adams was talking about those difficult calls to Roch and said the fired parties understood the situation and seemed to take the news OK.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.