You are Kevyn Adams, what are your first 100 days like?

thewookie1

Like with any new president heir first 100 days is seen as their introduction to the whole of the country on their leadership such as do they uphold campaign promises.

You are Kevyn Adams, you can't fire yourself or the owner, and I'm going to pretend all the teams are available to be traded with. What is it that you would do?

For me:

1. I'd get rid of most of the scouting staff, the pro scouts especially based on their performance.

2. I'd create an Analytics department that uses both high and low level analytics

3. I'd hire new scouts for "the eye test"

4. Analytics and Classic scouts work together on prospects/as for pro scouting I would have scouts hunting for trade candidates work separately for intervals to lessen the bleed over of either side effecting the others' judgements. (Obviously if, without knowing the other, both sides are intrigued by the same player they are likely a great candidate.)

5. Find out what Ralph and Jack think about ideas. Ralph would get player names whereas Jack would be more in a general arena. (What type of player are you looking for to help the team structure, etc.)

6. Hire a Cap guy and contract negotiator. (Can be 1 or 2 people) (Essentially what Botts did in Pittsburgh)

7. Hire a GM for the Amerks/Assistant GM

Alright, have at it

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Like with any new president heir first 100 days is seen as their introduction to the whole of the country on their leadership such as do they uphold campaign promises.

You are Kevyn Adams, you can't fire yourself or the owner, and I'm going to pretend all the teams are available to be traded with. What is it that you would do?

For me:

1. I'd get rid of most of the scouting staff, the pro scouts especially based on their performance.

2. I'd create an Analytics department that uses both high and low level analytics

4. Analytics and Classic scouts work together on prospects/as for pro scouting I would have scouts hunting for trade candidates work separately for intervals to lessen the bleed over of either side effecting the others' judgements. (Obviously if, without knowing the other, both sides are intrigued by the same player they are likely a great candidate.)

5. Find out what Ralph and Jack think about ideas. Ralph would get player names whereas Jack would be more in a general arena. (What type of player are you looking for to help the team structure, etc.)

6. Hire a Cap guy and contract negotiator. (Can be 1 or 2 people) (Essentially what Botts did in Pittsburgh)

Alright, have at it

Before dumping the pro scouts (or any of the others for that matter) review their reports.  Was the drafting and trades for bottom 6 guys on Botterill or on the scouts.  Also, figure out how much of acquiring D was on Botterill or the scouts.  Don't toss the baby with the bathwater.

He needs to evaluate what he has friggin' quickly - both in scouting and in players.  Having been so close to the team, he should have a leg up on others.  Not having his own individual rankings leaguewide & worldwide puts him behind where more experienced guys are.

The league year being extended gives him a unique opportunity to get up to speed that doesn't normally happen.  He needs to be on the phone asap with the guys he's considered mentors through the years and also needs a serious sit down with Krueger.  They have to get on the same page with what style(s) this team can play and what might be available to more closely perfect playing the style they're (the players & coaches) most capable of playing.  Include Taylor intense discussions as well.

Once he's evaluated what he has, he needs to rank everybody else & figure out how to upgrade from what he has to what he wants/needs.

Also, needs to say hello to Reinhart's, Dahlin's, Olofsson's, Larsson's, Girgensons', & Lazar's agents.  (Ullmark hits RFA soon too, right?  If so, get on the horn to his agent as well.)

Probably have to wait until after the draft to upgrade the scouts, but need to get a wishlist there soon as well.

That doesn't even include talking to other GMs to start working some trades.

Goes without saying, speak in person (if possible) with everybody under contract in the hockey end of the business.

Via Zoom where it isn't.

• nfreeman changed the title to You are Kevyn Adams, what are your first 100 days like?
4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

For me:

Alright, have at it

So it looks like you are dead on for step 1.
I have 2 questions:

1) are you Kevyn Adams?

2) can you pull off any of the trade proposals that have made you one of our most legendary posters?

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So it looks like you are dead on for step 1.
I have 2 questions:

1) are you Kevyn Adams?

2) can you pull off any of the trade proposals that have made you one of our most legendary posters?

Are you saying Kevyn decided to purge the scouts after being hired? Or did he craft the cuts behind Botterill's back, then got the job when JB balked at enacting them?

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Are you saying Kevyn decided to purge the scouts after being hired? Or did he craft the cuts behind Botterill's back, then got the job when JB balked at enacting them?

From what I saw at the press conference, I’m pretty sure the purge is happening at the behest of the Pegulas.

As I posted elsewhere, I am very curious to know how much influence Kevyn and Ralph had on the “who?” And the “how many?”

Edited by dudacek

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If we are to believe the TSN article and talks were had over the last several weeks, then it’s completely reasonable that they brought in high-level people into their office and told them they need to streamline the operation and asked how they would go about doing such a thing.

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Elliotte Friedman said on TSN today that TP had brought in an outside consultant to do a full review of the organization, and that it played a role in their decision.

That's noteworthy.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Elliotte Friedman said on TSN today that TP had brought in an outside consultant to do a full review of the organization, and that it played a role in their decision.

Pick one:

Hockey guy? Football guy? Oil guy?

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That consultant needs to send a refund check or the Pegula’s need to make a claim on his/her malpractice insurance.  It’s perfectly reasonable that they recommended change, but to recommend hiring an even more inexperienced GM is malpractice.  

Just dumb.

How did you get “recommending the fire Botterill“ from that?

1 minute ago, SDS said:

How did you get “recommending the fire Botterill“ from that?

I’ve dealt with many consultants.  When they do an organizational review they almost always recommend change in management or a restructuring that shrinks the levels of management.  This isn’t always a bad thing, but it does help justify their fees.  

Not much of stretch to conclude that a “consultant” reading fan outrage, HC deteriorating communication with the GM and star player anger would recommend change including firing the top decision makers at a hockey level.  Out goes Sexton, Greeley and Jbot 3 weeks after a very public statement from ownership saying they were returning for year 4.  I don’t think any other reasonable conclusion can be drawn from a story saying TP hired a consultant to do a top down review and soon after the GM is fired. 

What is shocking that said consultant didn’t also recommend doing a real search for a replacement, instead of hiring the top name on the Rolodex that wasn’t fired in the purge.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve dealt with many consultants.  When they do an organizational review they almost always recommend change in management or a restructuring that shrinks the levels of management.  This isn’t always a bad thing, but it does help justify their fees.  

Not much of stretch to conclude that a “consultant” reading fan outrage, HC deteriorating communication with the GM and star player anger would recommend change including firing the top decision makers at a hockey level.  Out goes Sexton, Greeley and Jbot 3 weeks after a very public statement from ownership saying they were returning for year 4.  I don’t think any other reasonable conclusion can be drawn from a story saying TP hired a consultant to do a top down review and soon after the GM is fired. 

What is shocking that said consultant didn’t also recommend doing a real search for a replacement, instead of hiring the top name on the Rolodex that wasn’t fired in the purge.

This seems mainly a product of your imagination. If you haven’t read the TSN piece, you will read that the Pegulas and Botterill disagreed regarding The structural changes that the owners wanted to implement and that Jason did not want to change the organization. That was the philosophical reason why they parted ways. Saying this was the work of a consultant is a complete stretch.

There is only one way this works.  The Sabres hire a mentor for Adams.  Rick Dudley comes to mind, but there are others. Adams needs someone to bounce hiring, roster, and player decisions off of while he hopefully grows into the job. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

This seems mainly a product of your imagination. If you haven’t read the TSN piece, you will read that the Pegulas and Botterill disagreed regarding The structural changes that the owners wanted to implement and that Jason did not want to change the organization. That was the philosophical reason why they parted ways. Saying this was the work of a consultant is a complete stretch.

What do you think “structural changes are”. 

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What do you think “structural changes are”. 

You can feel free to go about your own internal thought process. I am just going to assume that the reporter who said they talk to Terry who said Jason did not want to make changes they asked and was then fired for not making those changes is the reason. Occam‘s razor.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

You can feel free to go about your own internal thought process. I am just going to assume that the reporter who said they talk to Terry who said Jason did not want to make changes they asked and was then fired for not making those changes is the reason. Occam‘s razor.

Look at how many people they have eliminated in addition to Jbot.  The changes they wanted were clearly huge and Jbot stood up for his people and got fired for it. 

Fired Jbot’s two top assistants

Fired the entire Amerks coaching staff.

Fired much of the scouting staff and other hockey officials.

These are huge “structural changes.”  They put him in a position where he couldn’t keep his job and his integrity IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.